Portfolio My take on Carlton new logo and jumpers (by Kolja51)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: My take on Carlton new logo and jumpers

Great site mate.

Richmond had some interesting designs.

If you want an interesting design check out Hawthorn's 1995 pre-season jumper. Might even not have been designed for footy by the looks of it :p

Personally, I love it mate. Love the gold on the away jumper. I like the new monogram, not too keen on the shield, but hey that's only minor :thumbsu:

I'm in agreement that your monogram is better than the current (and MUCH better than the previous one they wore), but it isn't different enough to warrant a change IMO.

Also, just a curious question - why does the home kit always have white shorts?

:eek::eek::eek: thats ur site, nice job

You know what's weird? I probably started researching that site before you were born.

I started after the 1996 Centennary Celebration disaster.
(Where 7 of the 8 jumpers used were wrong)
Essendon used the Essendon VFA team jumper, who merged with North
Collingwood had a weird White stripe down the middle
StKilda had pretend laces when their earliest jumpers were wool.
Carlton had a CFC logo they'd never used before
Sydney used a jumper they'd user for 2 years, and that too had printed laces which, had they been the same as the actual jumper, would have been stripes
Melbourne flat out made something up. They never used those jumpers at any time in their history. No yoke or White laces.
Geelong sort of mised their two earliest jumpers together, one with thin hoops, the other with a rounded hoop at the top.
Only Fitzroy actually wore a jumper close to what they would have worn.

So I started asking journos and publishing houses to write a book, then decided to research it myself.

CFC.jpg

It's not bad but I feel like you've taken a lot of the strength/boldness out of the current logo. It does have more of a traditional Carlton feel to it, but I can't really say I really liked their old logos compared to their new one.

So I started asking journos and publishing houses to write a book, then decided to research it myself.

This book was released not long after that time, Mero. Was one of the places you asked Ken Fin?

It's a very nice book by the way. I managed to get it second hand in the late 90's/early 00's when my parents dragged me to a second hand book shop while we were on holidays.

This book was released not long after that time, Mero. Was one of the places you asked Ken Fin?

It's a very nice book by the way. I managed to get it second hand in the late 90's/early 00's when my parents dragged me to a second hand book shop while we were on holidays.

I have that book, and it came out during 1996, before I suggested a 'history of footy jumpers' book.
It's not really anything like I was proposing.

I have that book, and it came out during 1996, before I suggested a 'history of footy jumpers' book.

You must have an earlier edition as mine has 1997 results.
These days websites are much more practical though as you can constantly update it, as you do.
Maybe some day you could add photos to the site.

Nice work kolja, I certainly wouldn't be upset with the new style monogram
Why break from perfection?

Carlton have arguably the best jumper and logo in the AFL.

We need to bring back the fatter monogram and the darker shade of navy we wore in our glory days.

svSPORTINGLIFE-420x0.jpg

We need to bring back the fatter monogram and the darker shade of navy we wore in our glory days.

The Navy Blue is supposed to be as close as possible to what was used on the acryllic jumpers, and the woolen ones before them.
However, the shiny material reflects the light and makes it appear lighter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

svSPORTINGLIFE-420x0.jpg
Well if Carlton ARGUABLY have the best logo/jumper in the AFL, I could argue that BRISBANE have the best logo/jumper in the AFL!
It's all a matter of taste and a little bit of a bias attitude. Some people like traditional guernseys (like myself) and some people like the modern ones, like GWS' and lots of the clash guernseys. In my opinion (one of an Essendon supporter) Essendon have the best guernsey in the league!.. not logo though.

I'm in agreement that your monogram is better than the current (and MUCH better than the previous one they wore), but it isn't different enough to warrant a change IMO.

Also, just a curious question - why does the home kit always have white shorts?

I just don't like monochrome look, all blue. I mean I can make shorts blue, too keep the tradition, but instead of messing up the jumper I just made shorts white. In that case, Carlton will always play in white shorts, at home (because they choose too) and on the road (because they are forced to), and will be unique in AFL. But, as I said, just my idea, not set in stone.

I just don't like monochrome look, all blue. I mean I can make shorts blue, too keep the tradition, but instead of messing up the jumper I just made shorts white. In that case, Carlton will always play in white shorts, at home (because they choose too) and on the road (because they are forced to), and will be unique in AFL. But, as I said, just my idea, not set in stone.

Fair 'nuff, was just curious, is all.

Great site well researched..
The 1995 Hawthorn Pre Season Jumper..Inspired by a middle age golfer?
I don't know why, but I seem to remember this jumper being a copy of the Brisbane Broncos jersey. I also seem to recall the gap in the middle was to be used for sponsors, just like the Broncos image below. An idea that was floated at the time. Could be wrong though. Mero, you maybe able to confirm.

Broncos94-95.jpg
Hawthorn-Preseason-diamond.gif

As I understand it, that is correct, that it was based on the Broncos jersey.
The only thing I would add to that is the Hawthorn jumper had larger diamonds at the top than at the bottom, and I am pretty sure the Broncos jersey had more diamonds on the back.
Apart from that the similarities are too common to think one was not based on the other, and the Broncos one came out first.

You must have an earlier edition as mine has 1997 results.
These days websites are much more practical though as you can constantly update it, as you do.
Maybe some day you could add photos to the site.
Yeh I bought that book a couple of weeks ago for $8, from an op shop place where I go occasionally to look for footy/sporting jumpers.

Im only up to reading about Carlton but it has been great reading so far. I also think I have later edition because it has a page or so about Adelaide's 1st Premiership and Brisbane's first year after merging with Fitzroy.

Picked up a very good quality copy of the 100 Years of Australian Football book at a local fair which I have wanted to get for years but have never found a copy. Was happy to part with $15 for it, believe it documents up to the end of 96. Interesting how they treat each year in present tense.

Picked up a very good quality copy of the 100 Years of Australian Football book at a local fair which I have wanted to get for years but have never found a copy. Was happy to part with $15 for it, believe it documents up to the end of 96. Interesting how they treat each year in present tense.
The copy I got from the local op shop was almost new. I think it was one of those things that probably seemed like a good idea at the time, was read once and then got put in the bookshelf to gather dust until someone tided the bookshelf up.

I really need to go through the footy books I have (not many) and see what I've got (and what interesting stuff I didn't care about when I was a kid!).

I agree. The simplicity of the crest seems to mirror the simplicity and class of the jumper. Fantastic stuff man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Portfolio My take on Carlton new logo and jumpers (by Kolja51)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back