Didak_attack

All Australian
Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
yes i am a collingwood supporter so i am fairly disappointed in the result of last night.

As a guideline or rule for the future i think that if the ball goes outside the ruckmans circle before being touched, it should be rebounced. then that way at least the umpires have a way to judge if they should bounce the ball again.

That or just throw the bloody thing up?::confused:

It was a lucky break to Simpson no doubt, but given the shape of the ball and the fact that umpires like players fatigue and lose their skills as the game goes on, we either put up with poor bounces on occasions, or get the umpires to throw it up every time.

We can't call back poor bounces because that opens up a new can of worms, e.g. what is exactly is a poor bounce?, how do we compensate for when the wind moves the ball in a certain direction? can a team be disadvantaged if the ball is called back when they have 1st posession more often than the other team? etc. etc.

Me thinks more games might be decided by the umpires over officiating a game than letting the vagrancies of an oval ball be allowed.

P.S. the game was won and lost over 4 quarters not just at one bounce.

It was a lucky break to Simpson no doubt, but given the shape of the ball and the fact that umpires like players fatigue and lose their skills as the game goes on, we either put up with poor bounces on occasions, or get the umpires to throw it up every time.

We can't call back poor bounces because that opens up a new can of worms, e.g. what is exactly is a poor bounce?, how do we compensate for when the wind moves the ball in a certain direction? can a team be disadvantaged if the ball is called back when they have 1st posession more often than the other team? etc. etc.

Me thinks more games might be decided by the umpires over officiating a game than letting the vagrancies of an oval ball be allowed.

exacltly if it had gone to a collingwood player and theyd converted
no compaints im sure

even if we take the goal off roos still win by a point(i know its very simplistic thinking)

A poor bounce would be one that obviously disadvantages one team over the over, why should Collingwood have to put up with a shit bounce at an important time in the game.

I don't care what happened earlier in the game, this is different to an interpretation of a rule, this is a simple facet of the game, the bounce should be fair to both sides, it is obvious when a bounce is shit house that it should be called back, alternatively, the umps should throw the thing up, the AFL has to get over this so called tradition.

If a tradition is holding the game back, then why don't we get rid of it. Throwing the ball up will save time (anyone notice when the umps bounce it that they have to ready themselves and what not, throwing it up reduces this) and it will allow a fair contest.

Don't give me this varability of the bounce crap, i want games decided on skill, not due to a ball bouncing one way rather then the other.

The AFL would have to be one of the most useless sporting organisations today.

It was a terrible bounce, and it cost us a goal.

Did it cost us the game? Maybe, maybe not. Did we deserve to win the game? No. So who the hell cares.

Is it Didak's fault we lost? HELL no. He was our best player on the night. We shouldn't have blown that lead. Our skills lost us the game, NOT the umpires. We are in trouble if this form continues.

A
Don't give me this varability of the bounce crap, i want games decided on skill, not due to a ball bouncing one way rather then the other.

How many goals have been decided by the way the ball rolls and bounces?

or are you suggesting we use a round ball?

How many goals have been decided by the way the ball rolls and bounces?

or are you suggesting we use a round ball?

It is a different factor, a player is kicking the ball rather then an umpire shanking a bounce. OFten a player can use the angle on the ball to try and get the ball to bounce a particular way, look at Lance Franklin last night with that checkside kick and then compare it to Blacks snap which went out on the full.

Not suggesting we use a round ball at all, im suggesting that when a bounce obviously favours one team over the other, then it should be called back.

This idea that somehow a shit bounce is part of the game is silly.

It was a terrible bounce, and it cost us a goal.

Did it cost us the game? Maybe, maybe not. Did we deserve to win the game? No. So who the hell cares.

Is it Didak's fault we lost? HELL no. He was our best player on the night. We shouldn't have blown that lead. Our skills lost us the game, NOT the umpires. We are in trouble if this form continues.
No, it didn't cost you a goal, it cost you the centre clearance.... Rhyce Shaw's pathetic attempt to clear the ball when in control of it cost you a goal.

It is a different factor, a player is kicking the ball rather then an umpire shanking a bounce. OFten a player can use the angle on the ball to try and get the ball to bounce a particular way, look at Lance Franklin last night with that checkside kick and then compare it to Blacks snap which went out on the full.

Not suggesting we use a round ball at all, im suggesting that when a bounce obviously favours one team over the other, then it should be called back.

I know you were not suggesting that, I was simply having a stir.:D

But seriously I agree with you, the answer is to get the umpires to throw the ball up, after all they are there to interpret the rules, why do they have to display a difficult skill as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it's pure luck whether it favours one team over the other. If the umpire was deciding to bounce it one team's way, it would be unfair. But he's just trying to get it straight up and failing to do so. (no erection jokes necessary)

No, it cost us a goal. :thumbsu:

But it didn't cost us the game.

lower still had to kick the goal.. it wasn't a kick from the goal line.. if he missed you would't be whinging as much...

If corey jones didn't miss so many easy goals the margin would have been much more favourable to north and this wouldn't have been an issue..

The rules are that the ump calls play on.. The better team won it was as simple as that.

A poor bounce would be one that obviously disadvantages one team over the over, why should Collingwood have to put up with a shit bounce at an important time in the game.

I don't care what happened earlier in the game, this is different to an interpretation of a rule, this is a simple facet of the game, the bounce should be fair to both sides, it is obvious when a bounce is shit house that it should be called back, alternatively, the umps should throw the thing up, the AFL has to get over this so called tradition.

If a tradition is holding the game back, then why don't we get rid of it. Throwing the ball up will save time (anyone notice when the umps bounce it that they have to ready themselves and what not, throwing it up reduces this) and it will allow a fair contest.

And why should North Melbourne put up with shit bounces in the 3rd quarter. Every minute of the game is crucial.

lower still had to kick the goal.. it wasn't a kick from the goal line.. if he missed you would't be whinging as much...

If corey jones didn't miss so many easy goals the margin would have been much more favourable to north and this wouldn't have been an issue..

The rules are that the ump calls play on.. The better team won it was as simple as that.

Mate what the ____ did I say? I said you deserved the win. We didn't deserve to win the match.

Good Evening Viewers

Is our game the only one in the world where the match official has to attempt an act of skill as part of his duties?

FWIW - few people lament the passing of drop kicks of years gone bye and I'd suspect that's how we'd feel about eliminating the bounce.

Regards

Dicko

Just get rid of the bounce, I say. Or maybe just have it at the start of the match in keeping with tradition. All it does is put extra pressure on umpire's anyway.

Good Evening Viewers

Is our game the only one in the world which requires the match official to execute a a physical skill?

FWIW - I think much like the consigning of the drop kick to the history books - we'd feel much the same way if we got rid of the bounce.

Regards

Dicko

Nah , can't have 'em throwing it up.I look forward to watching the ump prancing in , concentrating , showing off his silky ball bouncing skills with a loud grunt as he lets fly.Who cares if it's fair , thats irrelevant.
These guys are one of the major reasons we all watch the footy.
Get over it guys.
:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back