Mythbuster - Blues will struggle without Fev

Remove this Banner Ad

Find it interesting that everyone seems to think we will be stuffed without Fev.
Just checked out the stats from the 13 wins we had in 2009. We would have won 9 of them if Fev had not even troubled the scorers. That's right in 9 of our wins, Fevs contribution was less than our winning margin.
The other 4 games, i think we would have won three of them if Fev wasnt there. Defeated Lions by 19 (Fev 5 goals), Freo by 15 (Fev 3 goals) and North by 10 (Fev 5 goals)
Brisbane win by 6 points when Fev kicked 8 would have been a loss.
Certainly interesting stats.

You mean he took the opposition's best defender? That's what I thought you said! :rolleyes:

difference is we picked up a proven goalkicker, and two young forwards who'll pick up some fitness this pre season, plus we have ryder/hurley/hille who are all capable of playing forward and kicking a bagfull of goals:rolleyes:

Because they have all done that at some stage during their career.

Apparently losing the club's 2 best forwards of the last decade is not going to have any impact on the Bombers, even though they were 1 & 3 in Essendon's goalkicking this season & that was with Lloyd playing a roving role up the ground & Lucas being hindered by injury for much of the season.

Suddenly Neagle is going to become a star (at the moment he moves a bit like Lance Whitnall in his latter years) & Essendon's best young defender (Hurley) is going to play forward as well & Ryder & Hille will not be playing in the ruck, because they will be kicking bags of goals playing in the forward line.

Of course I have forgotten Mark Williams, who struggled to stay on the field this season due to a chronic injury which limited him to 16 goals from 13 games.

Yes there are question marks over where Carlton's goals will come from, we accept that, although a combination of Waite, Kreuzer, Henderson will be well served by our midfield & we know Betts & Murphy are goalkickers (Betts' 39 goals this season would have won the Essendon goalkicking, while Murphy's 31 goals would have placed him second), but somehow Essendon are going to easily find goals in 2010, despite the best effort in 2009, from the aforementioned young Essendon forwards being 19 goals by Neagle.

I don't see how Essendon supporters can feel more confident than Carlton supporters about the respective forward lines. I think they will be much of a muchness next season, with the team who gets more goals from their midfield having the advantage.

Carlton are back in 2005 land now that they gave away their best player (by a mile) for absolutely nothing in return. Losers. With Sticks and Ratts in charge the other 15 sides can rest at ease in full knowledge of future failure. :thumbsu:

Carlton will have a rough start to the year, if you take potentially 3 key players (Judd, Fev, Waite) out of any side they will. Imagine if St Kilda had to play without Reidwoldt, Fisher and Hayes, or Geelong without Ablett, Scarlett and Johnson or maybe Collongwood without Swan, Shaw and Anthony, the Dogs without Johnson, Cooney and Lake.

Of course one of them isn't coming back but Carlton should achieve just as many wins next year as we did this year. Realistically the loss of Fev is huge but our midfield won us all of our games and nearly won us at least two more. If you think about it the midfield will start to take more shots outside of the fifty, Murphy, Judd, Gibbs can all do it with success so can Kreuzer and i even remember a great Joseph goal from the fifty. Betts had a fairly bad form slump at the end of 2009 IMO, but prior to that he had been not only a crumbing player but a small marking forward.

YES Carlton will suffer as i am sure some of the opposition supporters will enjoy, we will also arise better for the trade and make serious headway towards a premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Mythbuster - Blues will struggle without Fev

Remove this Banner Ad

Back