Preview NAB 1 Port vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

So what are we hoping to see at Port Adelaides traditional home ground of Coopers Stadium on The Parade?

Do we tank like we did last year in NAB 1 vs the Crows, and play as many youngsters as possible?

Or do we try and get our first team in action as much as possible knowing that its such a huge and crucial opening month of the season?

Pretty sure that Hinkley said we will be playing a fairly strong line up for the first game, youngsters in the second, then then full squad for the last game. It was something about the fact we have to travel for the second game that was the issue, especially since we are starting away this season.

With Ryder not able to play I'd like to see Butcher at FF. Clurey at CHB to cover Trengove in case he doesn't come up for round 1. Ollie to spend time in the centre/on a wing (to really test his outside game) and up forward about a third of the time each area. Hoff for the time he's on ground in the midfield. Limited time for the top 12 - 15 players on the list in their usual positions, we know what they can do. Just do enough to get them copping some real pressure / hits from the opposition (without any injuries!), leaving the lesser lights to put their names forward for spots 19-22 come round 1.

WooHoo a preview thread. Footy's back (Insert happy dance giff here).

Although I want to see a team carrying the Port Adelaide name absolutely destroy each opposition they come across and win everything from the coin toss of the first pre season game to the last quarter of the slowdown for me this game will be about how we play and what it looks like when we do it.

What I would like to see is a continuation of our fast running style. What I want to see is aggressive defensive pressure. And I am sure I will get it.

I think we will play a reasonably strong team but most of them will not play a full game and the young guys like Amon and Clurey will get extended periods on ball or in key spots.

I know at this time of year not each kick will hit the target and the young guys will sometimes run to the wrong spot or choose the wrong option but beyond that I am looking for that stuff that's instinctive or shows class or ability under pressure. The quick reflex handball, the sprint to chase someone down, the unexpected contested mark, the occasional moment when you turn to your mate and nod and say that was good.

Most of all I am looking forward to the moment when the ball bounces and the short period of time after when the dopamine receptors in my brain fire up and that smile hits my face. Footys back baby!.

We know what our elite guys are capable of and all should have improved to some extent

I'm more keen to see what our depth does. Guys like Moore, butcher, young, Amon, DBJ, Clurey, Shaw, Harvey etc

I don't want to see any knee injuries.

The injuries to Liberatore, Petracca and McKenzie would be devastating for those players, their clubs and supporters.
Ditto, a terrible start to the season re knee injuries. Fingers crossed for the whole comp that we can get a bit deeper into the season before more players start getting ruled out.

On the game though, I'm expecting us to find it very difficult going up against a side that has already had 2 games. So I think depending on who they field, we will get caught out a little by the tempo and a loss would be likely. However if we get a good run into our guys, no injuries and we see some more good signs from Butcher I'd be happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: P. Stewart, T. Clurey, N. Krakouer
HB: J. Pittard, J. Hombsch, J. Impey
C: J. Polec, T. Jonas, B. Ebert
HF: J. Wagner, J. Westhoff, K. Amon
F: J. Neade, J. Butcher, M. Harvey
R: M. Lobbe, T. Boak, O. Wines
INT: A. Moore, A. Young, C. O'Shea, S. Gray, B. Ah Chee, D. Byrne-Jones
SUBS: K. Mitchell, M. Broadbent

Cornes, Schulz, Gray, Carlile, White missing, they've got nothing to prove and they've all been around long enough not to need 2 NAB cup warmups before the real stuff. But I left Boak in for captaincy/leadership reasons.

Sidenote, I wonder what we'll do with the ruck situation for the Week 2 game? If they want to give Lobbe a rest at some point, there's not really any other fit options to take the ruck position unless Jarrad Redden is fit enough to play.

Last edited:
24+2subs. if its too hot they'll extend breaks, not the bench.

So 26. Ok play 12-14 of our best 22, 8-10 of our 22-34 level players and 4-6 of players in the 35-45 range.

I think the benefits of these games are relatively dubious so I'm happy to see us ease into it this year. Take it easy on NAB 1 and NAB 2 and then hit NAB 3 hard as a full dress rehearsal.

Probably the most interesting thing to us from an experimental perspective would've been playing around with the Ryder/Lobbe combo but we can't even do that because of the provisional suspensions.

Maybe give some minutes to Butcher, Shaw and Harvey and see who is capable of doing what.

... Do we tank like we did last year in NAB 1 vs the Crows ....
Save the tanking for the Cows game. A new and important tradition, belittle pre-season Showdowns.
Play seriously 1st off. Lighten up a dash against Richmond. Ask the Essendon top-ups to represent us R3.

Cornes, Schulz, Gray, Carlile, White, Jonas missing, they've got nothing to prove and they've all been around long enough not to need 2 NAB cup warmups before the real stuff. But I left Boak in for captaincy/leadership reasons.

Sidenote, I wonder what we'll do with the ruck situation for the Week 2 game? If they want to give Lobbe a rest at some point, there's not really any other fit options to take the ruck position unless Jarrad Redden is fit enough to play.

Jonas missing? You've got him in the guts like the act of Seppuku.

Cornes, Schulz, Gray, Carlile, White, Jonas missing, they've got nothing to prove and they've all been around long enough not to need 2 NAB cup warmups before the real stuff. But I left Boak in for captaincy/leadership reasons.

Jonas is such a good hitman he's got an alias?

The match is taking on new and greater importance for the Eagles.

They will be desperately searching for new answers to their key defensive post with the terrible injury to Mackenzie

This

I hope the beer lines aren't long.

Apart from that, no injuries and a clean hit out. WCE you'd think might use this as their youngsters game. Looking forward to seeing Clurey, Amon and Moore in action in particular.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview NAB 1 Port vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back