NAB Cup/A-League GF ground clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 10 News has confirmed that the Grand Final will be played on Feb 28th at the Telstra Dome at 7:30pm.

Poor Andrew, not getting his way. Congrats to the Telstra Dome, you've got my respect for using your brains. And well done to Ben Buckley and not leting wee Andrew bully your way out. Thanks to Andrew we have more headline space about the grand final!

Scores:

FFA 1
AFL 0

This is the triumph of good over evil!

$149 million - hospitals? ....not needed. hospitals are in tip top condition.
The Victorian Government is spending $950 million on the new Royal Childrens Hospital.

$149 million - transport? ....not needed. Vicrail is perfect.
The Victorian Government recently announced a $20bn Victorian Transport Plan

$149 million - spent on fire bombers or better bush care? ...not needed. all under control.
Pathetic to try and link spending to the recent bushfire disaster, especially as this was allocated years before this disaster.

It's OK when the State Government waste money on suburban grounds, but when they build the missing link in Melbourne's stadia the Footy bogans get upset!

Boo-f*cking-hoo!

Somebody doesn't understand the concept of the govt. having the power to allocate money where there is a greater need.

Somebody doesn't understand the concept of govt controlling spending - or are you saying they are inflexible on their spending?

So you are telling me that we have a need (Sorry.. "badly need" )for a 20,000 rugby and soccer stadium more than we have a need for hospital spending, bush care/backburning operations, transport funding, road spending etc?

ok.....interesting concept.

Why do you only want the funding that is allocated to the new non-AFL stadium to be diverted to these causes? If you are serious we should scrap everything related to entertainment. Goodbye Moomba, Australian Open, Melbourne Show, Spring Racing Carnival etc. That money could be used elsewhere. New Years Eve also needs to go.

Why do you only want the funding that is allocated to the new non-AFL stadium to be diverted to these causes? If you are serious we should scrap everything related to entertainment. Goodbye Moomba, Australian Open, Melbourne Show, Spring Racing Carnival etc. That money could be used elsewhere. New Years Eve also needs to go.

I dont have a problem with building the much needed retangular stadium, though the budget has blown right out. It would be good to see the FFA/victory and NRL/Storm fund some of the costs.

This whole saga has done nothing for the AFL.

What its done is:

1) galvanise the support for Victory, uniting Victorians
2) bring media interest to the level of interest in the world game (65% want to see Archie over Ben C 35%)
3) ensure a sellout and amazingly,
4) highlight the common hatred that exists for AFL, which blew me by surprise - see the Herald Scum website for many public comment examples.

AFL diehards have nothing but conceptual comments that are just not reality - all soccer players dive, crowds riot and its boring. I challenge anyone to name one Melbourne Victory Player that have ever dived, and one A-league game where there was a riot. The reality is - none. So I'm glad these points are all AFL fans have to argue with.

Now I can see the Victory on Sat and the Tigers on Thurs. Better to have two balls than one.

This whole saga has done nothing for the AFL.

What its done is:

1) galvanise the support for Victory, uniting Victorians
2) bring media interest to the level of interest in the world game (65% want to see Archie over Ben C 35%)
3) ensure a sellout and amazingly,
4) highlight the common hatred that exists for AFL, which blew me by surprise - see the Herald Scum website for many public comment examples.

AFL diehards have nothing but conceptual comments that are just not reality - all soccer players dive, crowds riot and its boring. I challenge anyone to name one Melbourne Victory Player that have ever dived, and one A-league game where there was a riot. The reality is - none. So I'm glad these points are all AFL fans have to argue with.

Now I can see the Victory on Sat and the Tigers on Thurs. Better to have two balls than one.

Interesting points - but what I don't get - why is this the AFL's fault?

It clearly isn't. Within a day of the "clash" being confirmed - and despite initial pressure from their broadcaster the Ten Network - the AFL moved the game to Thursday night.

Very quick reaction really, considering they could have been far more stubborn than that - and rightfully pissed off about Telstra Dome's behaviour.

Just what kind of incompetent manager books two events on the same night at his stadium - without at the very least informing both parties of the clash and what will happen in the event of the clash!

All this hoo-haa was caused by the incompetence and chicanery of Ian Collins - who frankly has done a poor job at Telstra Dome for many years - including screwing his own club, Carlton.

Surely Ian Collins has to go?

Can't for the life of me see how the AFL should have any blame at all for this - why were the AFL allowed to make a good-faith booking back in October if Collo was eventually going to screw them over?

Absolutely right. I don't think anyone is seriously disputing that an A-League grand final is a bigger event and of greater overall significance than an AFL trial game; and there's no doubt the A-League will pull a bigger crowd.
But the problem is the principle that a ground booking made in good faith months ago can be gazumped by another code. That just doesn't sit right. And the fact that this has happened again, and that the AFL rolled over so quickly without extracting any concessions in return, sends a message that the AFL is a soft touch that can be pushed around by other sports whenever they want. And that's a dangerous message to put out there.

OK now, that everybody else as stopped arguing with me. I will think sensibly instead of trying to stir you up.

The bigger even should always Get the ground if there is a Clash. So Soccer won this time.

Reminds me of my yr10 swimming carnival. The school had booked it on a specific dat over a 5 year period. Ending in 06. But at a later date, their computors got swiped. And the NSW swimming championship was booked on the day. My school didnt even know about it untill the week before when we found out they had double booked. Had to move from Homebush too The middle of nowhere.

agreed but I got 1 good day of argument of my 1 day off this week.

Mods now that this isnt a topic and its been settled should this thread be closed.

Ah, devil's advocate.

Well played, sir.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? Are people not allowed to dislike AFL in your world?

It's funny how ian 13 is distressed by the opinion of one guy on a relatively non-mainstream website, yes the mass media can be full of 10 pages of Ben Cousins (featuring "what he had for breakfast yesterday morning" and "how many times he picked his nose") and sees nothing strange about that whatsoever!

None of the storm's figures are ever correct.

You are a tool! Storm are a tennant of olympic park run by the olympic park trust authority. Their employees man the gates and turnstiles, run the food outlets, etc. They publish crowd nos. at the end of the game on their scoreboard and to the various media outlets, not the Storm.

I challenge anyone to name one Melbourne Victory Player that have ever dived, and one A-league game where there was a riot. The reality is - none.
Fred in the second semi-final against Adelaide in 2007. Got carded for it as well. Don't pretend it never happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup/A-League GF ground clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Back