NAB Cup/A-League GF ground clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank god Victoria's state government donated $149 million of tax payers money to building a new stadium for the soccer and rugby free of charge.

We all know their multi billionaire owners couldn't have put in some of this money themselves. Why pay for a stadium when you can get an inept state govt. to do it for you?

$149 million - hospitals? ....not needed. hospitals are in tip top condition.
$149 million - transport? ....not needed. Vicrail is perfect.
$149 million - spent on fire bombers or better bush care? ...not needed. all under control.

I just hope we won't have this clash again. Keep the soccer matches at their new tax payer funded stadium and everyone can be happy (Except the tax payers).
The cost ( to the taxpayer) of the new soccer/rugby stadium has gone up to 330 million ( so far). You'd never catch the government building a stadium for football - none of our teams are owned by billionaire powermongers.

The soccer vs football debate is linguistically and culturally interesting. The insistence among soccer people on using football to refer to ONLY their sport is as we know a form of cultural imperialism but it is curious in that it is a reverse imperialism.

Soccer is actually an English term dating from the 19th century originating at the same time and forthe same reason as rugby in order to shorten the name of the sport. Soccer is what the sport is known as throughout the English speaking world in Canada , The US, Ireland and Oceania and indeed traditionally often in England as well. Futbol pronounced football is what Spanish speakers call it. The Italians don't call it football at all.

The insistence on calling it football is actually indicative of a use of Spanish terms and a rejection of a time honoured English one. Football is as football does. In Chicago and Edmonton it is gridiron, in Brisbane it is League, in Melbourne it is footy, in many places it is soccer. The argument is pointless and redundant and any insistence on it should be seen as the defensiveness or attempted imperialism it is.

Somebody doesn't understand the concept of budgeting. The money that went to build the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium would have been spent on sport either way, that's what it was allocated for. You're just sour that it was spent on a badly needed rectangular stadium instead of on the AFL.

Somebody doesn't understand the concept of the govt. having the power to allocate money where there is a greater need.

Somebody doesn't understand the concept of govt controlling spending - or are you saying they are inflexible on their spending?

So you are telling me that we have a need (Sorry.. "badly need" )for a 20,000 rugby and soccer stadium more than we have a need for hospital spending, bush care/backburning operations, transport funding, road spending etc?

ok.....interesting concept.

Excuse? What... a big game that draws more spectators than Hindmarsh can hold?
So can you find 1 game played at Hindmarsh that was sold out for an A-League game. There is no reason to go to Adelaide Oval. All they're doing is hurting revenue stream by allowing the SACA to take some. That is why the SANFL has a brain and built Football Park aka. AAMI Stadium aka. the middle of no where

On one level there's no harm done - it was only a trial game for the AFL compared to a grand final for the A-League.
But this is very dangerous. The AFL originally had the ground booked, only for Telstra Dome management to take their booking away and give it to the A-League instead - as has happened before with the AFL bounced by rugby union at Homebush in 2005. Seems that any booking of a ground by any sport can be gazumped by another sport putting up more money.
Screwed over by rugby union at Homebush, screwed over by rugby league finals at Homebush, now screwed over by soccer at Docklands. Will the AFL ever win in ground negotiations? It seems the AFL gets f***ed over every time.
Media reports of the decision to let the FFA have Telstra dome quoted comments on the bigfooty site as evidence of support for soccers' claim on the ground. Sad to say it looks like the AFL has been shafted by it's own supporters as well.

Somebody doesn't understand the concept of the govt. having the power to allocate money where there is a greater need.

Somebody doesn't understand the concept of govt controlling spending - or are you saying they are inflexible on their spending?

So you are telling me that we have a need (Sorry.. "badly need" )for a 20,000 rugby and soccer stadium more than we have a need for hospital spending, bush care/backburning operations, transport funding, road spending etc?

ok.....interesting concept.

Again, the money was ALLOCATED for sports. It would have gone to sports-related projects EITHER WAY. You're just angry because it went to the hated SOKKAHHHHH.

I'm sure you'd be happy for the AFL to give up any of the money it receives from the government.

And the stadium hold 30000 people, not 20000.

Again, the money was ALLOCATED for sports. It would have gone to sports-related projects EITHER WAY. You're just angry because it went to the hated SUCCKAAAAAAA

I'm sure you'd be happy for the AFL to give up any of the money it receives from the government.

And the stadium hold 30000 people, not 20000.
What sort of Goverment would allocate a set amount of money too one area.

At least the Western Australian and South Australian Governments are smart enough to have it there but dont stick to their boudget.

WA pulled out of an AFL stadium and is allocating it elsewhere

SA is spending money on a new Hospital instead of building a multi purpose stadium.

Is the Victorian government the only ones stupid enough to stick to their budget. They could move it from one area to another and do something that is needed. Like transport. That was shit when I lived their and that was 13 years ago.

If a govt. isn't sticking to a budget, it means they screwed up.
No reallocating parts of their budgets.

You know that NSW and VIC are the two governments in the worst shape. Guess it because you waste 150mill on a stadium and go over budget by 200mill. Which is what is screwing over your budgets very year.

I guess we have a screwed up federal government. Set a budget and have already talking about debt. The country was in the black when you come in and within 2 years we're in the red. Great government we have:rolleyes: Dont blame me I didnt vote:cool:

Don't blame me, I voted Liberal.

And don't tell me that the money used for the MRS should go to transport, because they've spent about 1.5 billion dollars on that myki disaster, so throwing money at the problem clearly isn't solving anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umm no, no they didn't.

No one in the USA calls it "Gridiron". Gridiron is the name of the field they play on, not the name of the sport/league.

Aussie Rules, Football, Rugby and League...it's simple.

I'm sure as a Geelong member/supporter you will be agitating your club to change its name. It's really simple that the Geelong Football Club which has existed in that name for 150 years should have no right to call itself a football club :eek: That name should solely be preserved for the Melbourne Victory Football "Club" which has been around now for 4 years. :rolleyes:

Common sense prevails.

I'm actually shocked that some people don't understand that a Grand Final is of greater importance than a practice match.

BigFooty really can be a microcosm of life, highlighting how many completely ignorant morons there are in the world

Hey Riggy, suck it up princess.

FWIW, Aussie Rules > Association Football, but there was only one decision which could have been made here, and it got made.
agreed but I got 1 good day of argument of my 1 day off this week.

Mods now that this isnt a topic and its been settled should this thread be closed.

Ffs people. Its a practice match.
can your first post be any more useless.

Practice matches are great. Round robin comp as a preseason followed by a grand final between the two winners. It may have no use, but it gets match fittness. Teams are able to get their startagy on track. etc.etc.etc.

can your first post be any more useless.

Practice matches are great. Round robin comp as a preseason followed by a grand final between the two winners. It may have no use, but it gets match fittness. Teams are able to get their startagy on track. etc.etc.etc.

Practices matches are great. You know whats better? GRAND FINALS!

Practices matches are great. You know whats better? GRAND FINALS!
I would actually watch a game of Tennis at Wimbeldon on 9 instead of a world cup game on ABC.

So why the hell Would I watch some soccer when Footy is on at the same time. Maybe if there is no clash i would watch it but only if there is no clash. Unless it is with Sydney/St Kilda(boring) or Port Adelaide/Collingwood(hate)

I would actually watch a game of Tennis at Wimbeldon on 9 instead of a world cup game on ABC.

So why the hell Would I watch some soccer when Footy is on at the same time. Maybe if there is no clash i would watch it but only if there is no clash. Unless it is with Sydney/St Kilda(boring) or Port Adelaide/Collingwood(hate)

Because football is better than GAYFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup/A-League GF ground clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Back