Preview NAB Cup Grand Final - Brisbane Lions v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said that? The Weagles were top last year when we beat them, & the Crows 2nd, IIRC. Don.t let the facts get in the way of a good show for a Victorian audience.

Robbo did correct him... almost 5 mins later. The producer must have been on a bog break or something before running back to shout in Robbo's ear.

I thought it was a very positive discussion.

Having people get basic facts wrong about us are just the consequence of being largely irrelevant for the past three seasons. But I doubt anyone out there is thinking 'Mark Maclure said Brisbane's backline is crap, so it must be true'.

There's some cautious optimism creeping into the discussion about us. Mostly I think it's the talking heads hedging themselves. At the end of the season, if we've done well they'll nod sagely and say 'they certainly looked like they were improving'. If we've done badly they'll shake their heads wistfully and say 'we knew they had a lot of work to do'.

King I think it was, actually was pretty well balanced. He showed he at least knew what he was talking about for the most part. He was the one that did most of the talking up of us, including our finals chances and our excellent drafting since the Fev trading period.

With that 360 discussion, a few hiccups along the way and serious blinkers on McClure as mentioned above but the outcome of the discussion was quite positive. Having made the NAB grannie they certainly weren't going to bash us too hard, but some indication that people were noticing the drafting and development from the past 4 years, with RRR the centrepiece.

Cheers for the vid, The_Wookie

Leaving our natural bias and dislike of Carlton to one side, the Blues will push for top four/six this year, realistically the best we could hope for is top eight. Winning tomorrow night would be great for a whole host of reasons, probably a bit of an aberration given the stage of our development, but certainly an indication that we are a genuine top eight chance. If we compete well but lose by, say, four goals or less we will have shown that we have improved from last year and are a chance to make the finals but probably an outside chance given the expected improvement of other sides around us. If it blows out to more than that, rightly or wrongly, we will be put back in the also-rans category and will have to prove ourselves by winning games in the season proper, particularly early. Like many I just pray we are competitive as I think a blowout could set our young team back a bit which is not what we want leading into the season.

It's kind of ironic that we play Carlton at Etihad in the NAB Cup Final again.

Compared to 2007, you could argue we're in a better position than we were then.

Round 1 vs St Kilda in the monsoon in Cairns
Round 2 vs WBD at Etihad on a 6 day break
Round 3 vs Geelong at Etihad on a 7 day break
Grand Final vs Carlton at Etihad on an 8 day break

compared to

Round 1 vs Haw/GC at Metricon
Round 2 vs GWS at Wagga on a 7 day break
Round 3 vs Coll at Etihad on a 7 day break
Grand Final vs Carlton at Etihad on an 6 day break

Then again, you'd probably be wrong. That 6 day break is a killer.

For some reason the fact we won Round 2 (and so comfortably) back in 2007 gives me hope.

But to be fair they also said:

This is Voss's team
With a few exceptions these are kids hee has brought in and or developed and they are competing.
What they didn't say but could have was that a,lot of them seem to be signing on for the long haul. thought it was a good wrap overall.

To be fair David King said that...the others seemed to be going along with the so called for so long massive 2009 trading disaster when we could have drafted young talent INSTEAD.

Funny that...I thought we drafted Bartlett,Harwood,O'Brien,Golby and Beams and elevated Hanley...and as usual nothing about the 10 players that we moved out and with the exception of Henderson,never have missed one iota...it should be remembered when discussung this that, for better or worse,we replaced the given up pick 12 with Bartlett with the gained in the trade pick 27.

The win in the 1978 night final was probably the beginnings of the emergence of Fitzroy as a finals contender. Hopefully this is the beginning of great things for the Brisbane Lions.

God the constantly parroted over-simplification of 'the trade disaster from a few years ago' gives me the irrits.
Gives me the irrits also Bob, but you know the only way we will get rid of this constant annoyance is by showing them we have moved on, as was stated it is Voss's team, we need this team to show the pundits down south the debacle that was 2009 trade period is behind us, and the only way we can move on is to make the finals and win a couple of them.

This I believe is achievable this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maclure is the personification of the Victorian-blinkered groupthink that still continues to infect the football media like herpes. It just won't go away.

I dunno. I just reckon he is generally ill-prepared to provide analysis, no matter who the player/team is. On ABC Radio, when he's doing a preview of the game, he tends to just run through the team list, rattling off names without any genuine insight. I think he speaks off the cuff, which is fine, but unless you've done some real preparation, you are bound to make a fair few mistakes.

Contrast it to King who might make big calls that don't come off (Geelong in 2011) but at least he's done some homework to support his view.

I don't hate Maclure as a TV personality. A bit like Robbo, there is a place for someone who says what a lot of people believe, even if it is not true or can't be supported. Analysis can take a bit of the passion and fun out of footy and there's no risk of Maclure doing that!

I dunno. I just reckon he is generally ill-prepared to provide analysis, no matter who the player/team is. On ABC Radio, when he's doing a preview of the game, he tends to just run through the team list, rattling off names without any genuine insight. I think he speaks off the cuff, which is fine, but unless you've done some real preparation, you are bound to make a fair few mistakes.

I've observed what seems to be a pretty consistent apathy about non-Victorian teams which translates into general ignorance. Same thing that used to irk me about Brian Taylor when he hosted League Teams.

Maclure has that grumpy "I say what I think" schtick well developed, and I find he usually uses teams like Brisbane, Port etc for his really abrasive comments, knowing he wont offend the old boys club in Victoria.

He absolutely teed off on Voss about a year ago saying he had no clue whatsoever and that the sooner Brisbane sack him the better. So now when he tries to backflip somewhat, I give his thoughts no consideration whatsoever. Just a dial-a-quote twerp IMO and I naturally find myself turning out automatically when he speaks.

David King on the other hand... gun.

I'm worried about travelling three weeks in a row, with a six day break, and think that a blow out after half time is a possibility. Will be an impressive performance if we manage to get up.

If its a blowout after half time I'll be putting it down to us not being at the level required, not blaming it on travel. 6 day break and travel should not result in us being tired after half time this early on in the year.

If its a blowout after half time I'll be putting it down to us not being at the level required, not blaming it on travel. 6 day break and travel should not result in us being tired after half time this early on in the year.

It has a big impact, whatever time of year it is.

If we're running out of steam early tomorrow night, then the only logical thing to do is ease off. Tired muscles tear more easily. Why risk going all out for a game where nothing is on the line apart from a few thousand dollars?

If we're blown out of the water and use travel as the reason this early on in the season I'll be quite disappointed. I could understand it if it was in August but not now. We should be at a level of fitness that this travel doesn't result in us completely fading out.

Can't believe there's blokes here looking for excuses if we lose. Unbelievable, what a way to get behind your boys!

Can't believe there's blokes here looking for excuses if we lose. Unbelievable, what a way to get behind your boys!

Yes, how dare we have different opinions to yourself?

We're not cheerleaders waving pom-poms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back