Preview NAB Cup Grand Final - Brisbane Lions v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seem to remember Sellers Maclure captain-coaching the Brisbane Bears reserves at one stage. Must have been knifed a'la KB at Tigerland. ;)

peterknights.jpg

I think we will win because we have been playing pretty good football and we want it more.

I have watched Carlton play in the pre-season - I don't think they should be the sort of favourites some people are suggesting / what the odds say. However the shorter break and all the interstate travel will have an impact.

I will still be going to the game believing we should win and that we have a good chance of doing so.

I have watched Carlton play in the pre-season - I don't think they should be the sort of favourites some people are suggesting
I agree. Just by way of comparison, last year, Adelaide was incredibly impressive in the preseason....Carlton haven't been at that level. Neither have we but I think it is a even contest, based on my view of the respective sides' preseason form.

Of course, if Carlton lift their game by 20% and we don't, then we'll get done comfortably. But I'm not sure Carlton is ready for that sort of quick improvement yet.

I agree. Just by way of comparison, last year, Adelaide was incredibly impressive in the preseason....Carlton haven't been at that level. Neither have we but I think it is a even contest, based on my view of the respective sides' preseason form.

Of course, if Carlton lift their game by 20% and we don't, then we'll get done comfortably. But I'm not sure Carlton is ready for that sort of quick improvement yet.

I am going and think we are some chance if we play near our best. Carlton are a better more experienced team however if they are a little off then we are a chance is there. It is up to the guys to force Carlton off their game through intensity. We have come along way in the past two years regardless of the result.

I've watched most of the games and the standard of football has been pretty mixed with all teams producing good and bad on the one day. The fact we haven't set the world on fire but have still won gives me cause for optimism, but the same could be said of Carlton. The key for me will be defensive pressure on the Carlton runners, something we have rarely been able to achieve against them in recent years. If we can do that, even if we lose, I will come away thinking we have advanced.

I am going and think we are some chance if we play near our best. Carlton are a better more experienced team however if they are a little off then we are a chance is there. It is up to the guys to force Carlton off their game through intensity. We have come along way in the past two years regardless of the result.

It will be interesting to see if we have the want and capacity to play with the high intensity and pressure needed to achieve this. Redden in will help but do we have enough physicality (mongrel :)) throughout the team to carry this off? I am hoping so.

Yes, how dare we have different opinions to yourself?

We're not cheerleaders waving pom-poms.
Speak for yourself, I will be.:p
Not sure on the outfit to go with the pompoms yet though.

Can't believe there's blokes here looking for excuses if we lose. Unbelievable, what a way to get behind your boys!

Amen to that.

I back the troops in.
Three R's to put on a footy clinic for old Mick just like we did in 02-03.

Amen to that.

I back the troops in.
Three R's to put on a footy clinic for old Mick just like we did in 02-03.

Agree, it's a NAB Cup Grand Final, anything can happen. No reason to go into the game thinking we're going to lose, and only to guess what the losing margin is going to be. The boys will want to win it, winning culture is good culture. Let's keep the winning streak going! :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got permission to go tonight. Just bought the ticket on-line. Will be amongst the Blues rabble in AFL members. Might have to move to the Lions' end if things get too ugly. Can't stand the smugness. Think we can win this though.

To me, Carlton have got into the GF without caring too much about the "competition" itself so far - but now they're in the GF they'll want to win it. THe NAB GF is a good dress rehearsal for Round 1 and its beneficial to have that intensity - compared to the other practice matches this week which will have very little intensity for the definite starters for Round 1 (who will only be hoping not to get injured) with only the fringe players trying their guts out to impress to get a game early on in the H&A season.

Whereas us - I reckon we've wanted to win every game and it has shown - though we possibly showed little respect for the GWS game given the outs. But clearly we've wanted to win the games and get through to the GF. We've played well in patches and ok in patches, but we've played with intensity. Defensive intensity is actually the barometer for me in pre-season games (ie. you only show that you want to win pre-season games if you run your across the ground defensive pressure at a high rate), and we have shown that. Both the players and the club have shown that they wanted to get wins and get through to the GF. That to me has stood out like the proverbial dogs jatz crackers.

So I'm expecting a damn decent game tonight, with H&A season intensity. Ripper.

To build on your post Adey, we have the best defensive record across the NAB cup and Carlton have the best attacking record. Probably bears out what they are saying about Malthouse's preference for scoring through forward line pressure. Emphasises also that if we are to win we need to restrict their forwards (particularly the smalls) and key mids and get them on the break with our quick hands and ball movement.

To build on your post Adey, we have the best defensive record across the NAB cup and Carlton have the best attacking record. Probably bears out what they are saying about Malthouse's preference for scoring through forward line pressure. Emphasises also that if we are to win we need to restrict their forwards (particularly the smalls) and key mids and get them on the break with our quick hands and ball movement.

Good point, I'm going to be quite mad if we let those little forwards get easy goals at the back when the ball goes over the top of the pack. They got quite a few the last time we played and it ended up being the difference. :(

I gotta say it is really weird reading so many articles about the lions especially ones not written by Greg Davis or Michael Whiting. I mean there is still not a preview out there the quality of this one, but hey who can expect media members to actually watch the games? I thought the Zorko one and the Emma Quayle one were both well researched and offered a bit more than just fronting up to a press conference and chucking in a couple of quotes. Nice to the some of the players get some credit. Really looking forward to tonight! CARN THE LIONS!!!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lions-push-for-games-in-melbourne-20130314-2g3jh.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/key-lions-add-up-to-good-year-michael-20130314-2g3io.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lions-blues-at-full-strength-20130314-2g3ip.html

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/br...ferent-than-most/story-fnelctok-1226597570170

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ma...ach-michael-voss/story-fnelctok-1226596756057

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-03-15/that-winning-feeling

I highly suspect The Brown Dog liked my post because I used the term "stood out like the proverbial dogs jatz crackers."

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back