Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Everton FC
Squad selection on page 4.
Match discussion begins page 9.

Post match discussion begins page 21.

The NAB Cup continues to roll on in 2013, and with it comes that all too familiar pre-season hollowness. It’s kinda footy, but it’s not really. It’s like paying your cover charge at a strip club and being handed a dirty magazine. Technically you’re getting what you paid for, but you just can’t help but think you’re getting ripped off.

Our first round of games was pretty solid. There’s no doubt we were the better of the three sides that took part in those bastardised little games, but thanks to some top draw choking against Geelong, we could only emerge with one win. But the good news is that win was against Fremantle, and although it really doesn’t matter at all, it’s always fun to do. If the derby is their grand final, then surely a NAB Cup derby is at least equivalent to a prelim?

275780-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

There was a few standout performers from the two games, with Scott Lycett being the clear highlight. The young ruckman has the carrot of a red hot crack at AFL football this season being dangled in front of him, and you could tell. He was running around like the slightly erratic kid at school who’s just had his hat nicked. He marked well, tackled strongly, and was the dominant ruckman in both games. Fair play to him, he looks a long term option for us. Chris Masten continued to enhance his reputation as the greatest pre-season footballer the world has ever seen. The difference is now he seems to be able to carry that form into the real stuff, which is pleasing. Big Turbo McGovern impressed as well, and although he appears more and more vacant each time I see him, he might just be a handy player.

Sharrod Wellingham debuted, looked the goods, and then promptly buggered his ankle. On a f*cking trampoline. Now, while this is a setback for Sharrod and the Eagles on a whole, I can’t help but feel a tinge of relief over this situation. The way I see it, it’s a win for the whole of society over the PC Brigade that are hell bent on destroying the universe. Trampolines nowadays are almost unrecognizable from those wonderful 90’s death traps that I remember. Between the padding, the safety nets and the artificial springs, it’s pretty much impossible for kids of today to hurt themselves. And in all honesty, you haven’t had a childhood until your two fattest mates have double bounced you near enough to over the fence, before you get your leg stuck in that little corner gap between the springs. So kudos to Sharrod for proving that there is still hope for all the little kiddies out there. Just don’t do it again.

528822-sharrod-wellingham.jpg

So now we’re up against Collingwood, who must feel as if they have just won the lotto with the stroke of luck they’ve received this off season. In any other summer, the Pies fessing up to a severe problem with illicit drugs would surely have been enough to steal headlines for months. Hell, five or six years ago there was a pretty serious threat of a nation-wide earthquake caused by hundreds of thousands of monocles dropping to the ground in disgust when a similar thing happened. But to the Magpies’ rescue came the Government and ASADA, armed with enough hyperbole to make Dwayne Russel seem positively understated (spectacularly good analogy!). And so Collingwood’s little problem has been firmly swept under the rug, probably until the next slow news day when Robbo will sink some schooners and come out swinging.

The game offers the first opportunity for Quinten Lynch to return to Subi, even though I’d say there’s every chance they’ll sit him out. Pretty much every West Coast fan with eyes can see that poor old Lynchy is past it. He’s always been up there with the most uncoordinated professional footballers in history, but last season he seemed to have real trouble controlling where he was putting his legs. The big fella served us admirably, and arguably won us a flag given that in 2006, he was the forward line. But he’s done now. Funnily enough, it’s only now that the Victorian media have fallen in love with Lynchy, and as they keep on saying, “if he kicks 40 or 50 goals, it could win Collingwood a flag”. But he’s not going to kick 40 or 50 goals now, is he? Be serious. He’s been in the news this week because of his deformed pinky finger. If Ian Healy’s fingers look like a bag of Twisties, then Q’s pinky looks like he’s got a Cheezle permanently stuck around the knuckle.

391510-lynch.jpg
Dean Cox will probably play in this game, so too will Beau Waters and possibly even Cale Morton. It’s a bit closer to a proper game of footy, and as such it will be a much better way to get a handle on how the squad is sitting at the moment. We gave them a firm bumming at Subi last season, and you’d hope that the team would attack this game with enough intensity to get the job done. Once again, this game doesn’t really matter an iota. In all honesty, if we can get through without any injuries then that probably can be considered a win. Except f*ck that, lets beat these bastards.

"Trampolines nowadays are almost unrecognizable from those wonderful 90’s death traps that I remember. Between the padding, the safety nets and the artificial springs, it’s pretty much impossible for kids of today to hurt themselves. And in all honesty, you haven’t had a childhood until your two fattest mates have double bounced you near enough to over the fence, before you get your leg stuck in that little corner gap between the springs. So kudos to Sharrod for proving that there is still hope for all the little kiddies out there."

You speak the truth sir. My son's tramampoline is a joke! Bring back the rusty springs that pinch your skin and the solid steel edges that caused many a bruise, ah I could go on but I wont. Bring on the semi- real footy that is a full Nab cup game.

The game offers the first opportunity for Quinten Lynch to return to Subi, even though I’d say there’s every chance they’ll sit him out. Pretty much every West Coast fan with eyes can see that poor old Lynchy is past it. He’s always been up there with the most uncoordinated professional footballers in history, but last season he seemed to have real trouble controlling where he was putting his legs. The big fella served us admirably, and arguably won us a flag given that in 2006, he was the forward line. But he’s done now. Funnily enough, it’s only now that the Victorian media have fallen in love with Lynchy, and as they keep on saying, “if he kicks 40 or 50 goals, it could win Collingwood a flag”. But he’s not going to kick 40 or 50 goals now, is he? Be serious.

Totally agree, could not believe it when I heard those words (maybe footy classified or somewhere?).

As much as we all love him, about 1 and a bit goals a week is his limit. High 20's, maybe low 30's for the season. But 50? That's second year Darling levels right there and it wont happen, no matter how much the media say it could.

I'm the opposite. I think Lynch could kick 40+ especially with less competition in the forward line. Its not really much more than the 33 he kicked last year.

Totally agree, could not believe it when I heard those words (maybe footy classified or somewhere?)

Same here.

I think a commentator said it before Collingwoods NAB cup match.

Putting this into perspective - Lynch has kicked more than 40 goals twice in 10 seasons. The last time was 2007, which was obviously 5 seasons ago. He was 25 then, probably a year or 2 shy of a footballers prime. Now that he's 30 he's meant to rediscover that goal kicking while also helping in the ruck?

Who might play? An exercise in guessing. We can pick 21 players, and three subs.

I can't remember if the club has given much indication on who is likely to miss/play.

Injured - won't play
Naitanui
Wellingham
Bennell
Dick - probably NAB round 3

Injured and/or unsure of injury status
Kerr
Nicoski
Colledge
McGinnity - is he injured?
Morton

Fit - likely to play
Cripps
LeCras
Cox
Lycett
Kennedy
Rosa
Sheppard
Butler
Waters

Fit - unlikely to play
Dalziell
Carter
Newman
Wilson
Tunbridge

Fit - unsure if they'll play
Brown
Gaff
Masten
S. Selwood
Priddis
Shuey
Brennan
Mackenzie
Glass
Hurn
Darling
Smith
Schofield
Embley
Hill
Hutchings
McInnes
A. Selwood
Hams
Sinclair
McGovern

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who might play? An exercise in guessing. We can pick 21 players, and three subs.

I can't remember if the club has given much indication on who is likely to miss/play.

Injured - won't play
Naitanui
Wellingham
Bennell

Injured and/or unsure of injury status
Kerr
Sheppard
Nicoski
Waters
Kennedy
Colledge
Rosa
Butler
McGinnity
Dick
Morton

Fit - likely to play
Cripps
Brown
LeCras
Cox
Lycett

Fit - unlikely to play
Dalziell
Carter
Newman
Wilson
Tunbridge

Fit - unsure if they'll play
Gaff
Masten
S. Selwood
Priddis
Shuey
Brennan
Mackenzie
Glass
Hurn
Darling
Smith
Schofield
Embley
Hill
Hutchings
McInnes
A. Selwood
Hams
Sinclair
McGovern

Woosh did say last week that JK, Cox, Rosa, Shep, Butler and Waters will get a run round 2 , and it was said somewhere that Dick will be ready for nab cup 3.

How is Brown likely to play? Glass is likely to becuase we wont bother taking him to Alice the next week and Emac is likely as him playing on Cloke is important

I think this game witll be more towards fuller strength side than the week after given this one is on a proper ground and no travel for our vets.

How is Brown likely to play? Glass is likely to becuase we wont bother taking him to Alice the next week and Emac is likely as him playing on Cloke is important

I think this game witll be more towards fuller strength side than the week after given this one is on a proper ground and no travel for our vets.

They're good points. Maybe he'll miss against the pies and play against port.

I'd really like to see him (Brown) play against Schulz. He's a very smart leading forward, who seems to continually do better than I think he should.

Although, we wont get video of that game will we?

I'm the opposite. I think Lynch could kick 40+ especially with less competition in the forward line. Its not really much more than the 33 he kicked last year.
Not to mention the fact that the 'pies have a better class of midfielders than us. They may be able to service him to about 37 goals. Shall we make a thread predicting how many goals Lynch will kick in the 2013 AFL season? I'm not enthused enough to bother really.

I'd really like to see him (Brown) play against Schulz. He's a very smart leading forward, who seems to continually do better than I think he should.

Although, we wont get video of that game will we?

WCE won't display video, but Port may. And if it's put up for the Port fans, we'll just tune into what they see, just like last year when Port recorded the game against WC at Mandurah.

I'll be surprised if Lycett, McGovern or McInnes provide the same output as Lynch this season.

12 Disposals.
1.6 goals.
5.4 marks.

The marking power is the hard thing, disposals would be a little less relevant because Lynch tends to blaze away long.

play glass in the forward line for a a pre season match i reckon,maybe he can be the next adam hunter

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview NAB Cup R2 - WCE v COLL - 3/3 @ PS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back