Traded Nakia Cockatoo [traded to Brisbane for 2021 R3 (Melb)]

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure you wouldn't but a 3rd from a club contending will be in the 60s. May as well delist him at that rate.

We'd do that for plenty of players this year but they've clearly rated Nakia to continually invest in him this long. 2nd will be a pick in the 40s and we'd have to wait a year to use it so still not a high value.

Still we have a good relationship with Brisbane and we've given plenty over for a second chance at unders. Christensen, Walker, McCarthy come to mind.

Based on history the cats will probably let him go for unders, but to lose a player you want to keep for no value added in return would be a bit of a slap in the face.

Best of luck to him. He breaking a lot of hearts
Maybe it’s Brisbane’s turn to give us something for always being so accommodating.

Witherdon cough cough

Do we even know if it’s a 2 year deal offered by Brisbane?
I’ve some what come around the past day or so. Still not happy about it if it’s 2 years but if the lions are giving him 3 then we can’t match that.
Brisbane have given three year contracts to every player we’ve traded in, over the past two trade periods. Except for Neale, who we gave 5, and Birchall, who had a 1+ with triggers, which he’s reached.

Similar injury plagued players in McCarthy, Adams and Ah Chee all got 3 year contracts.

Last edited:

Then offer a similar contract to Brisbane.

Can’t fault a guy like Cockatoo to look for the best contract, especially if his next contract could still be his last.

Geelong’s reported one year offer is asking Cockatoo to assume all the risk, where as Brisbane is assuming the risk by offering a longer contract.
I'm kinda running on the assumption that the cats would be basically offering the same contract. Cats are not going to be as hard up for list spots as other teams, contract would likely be for the same coin. If the cats haven't offered the same terms then my guess is that it's because they know he wouldn't accept anyway.

On the draft depth and nga, you could be right, I haven't looked much at next year or anything. Just noting that the natural 1st pick of round 3 is pick 36 and it takes only 4 compo picks or NGA or father son matches to push it to pick 40. Even in super drafts picks after 50 are speculative. If lists are smaller and clubs only have to take 2 picks then fair likelihood clubs will already be passing on players when that pick rolls around.

Reality is, I can't see either side getting hung up on the pick exchange. If he wants to go to Brisbane he can go to Brisbane.

NAKIA COCKATOO (GEEL)

Draft picks:
Third-round pick
Value on open market: $250,000-350,000

Destined to land in Brisbane and follow the lead of former teammate Lincoln McCarthy who turned his body around up north. The Lions have held an interest in the explosive Cockatoo for some time and will back their medical team to get him on the park after two games in three seasons. Like the deal for McCarthy, the Cats won't dig their heels in at the trade table.

I know I'm just biased, and wishful thinking, mixed with a little (maybe more than a little) bitterness, but I think it's a great shame to lose Cockatoo.

On talent, he could be one of the best players in the league. If the Lions can get him on the park, I'd back them to win the premiership next year - he's that good.

I'll just hate to read the whole "Brisbane saved him" thing. I don't think he has given himself the best chance at getting on the park over years, fitness-wise, but by the end of this year (even midway) we had him out there. He showed his bull-like qualities, tough as nails tackling (which we need) and explosive runs (which we also need). And he kicked goals (which we need too). And Im pretty sure he's good in regards of his previous leg problems and he was only put on ice because a wrist injury (i think I'm right with that) which can't really be helped or put down to poor medical staff. Point is, dare I say we have helped get him past his leg injuries, and he will walk (or jog or run at speed) to Brisbane ready to go. And Brisbane will get all the credit. (See, told you I'm bitter)

The same for Linc. We worked hard to get his body right too. And he came back and played the last 3-4 games of the VFL season and was finally fit and getting continuity. He left for Brisbane a fully fit player and lo and behold completed a full preseason and hasn't look back, and yet time after time Brisbane get all the credit. I think they just got him at the right time. (still bitter)

Now they'll do the same with Nakia, and I can see it all happening again. But why doesn't Nakia talk to McAdams. He can't get out there. Why can't Brisbane get him right?

Point is he's a great player (a game changer) who finally seems to be past the injuries that have kept him out of the game for so long, and is ready to go. And now Brisbane will get him for cheap (why do they take so many of our forwards?) and we will get nothing for him. And Brisbane will be held up as injury miracle workers. And it makes me sad. (and bitter)

PS. On the flipside we'll no doubt cough up a decent pick to get another old guy in Higgins (32, I believe) who will give us a season or two if we're lucky. I hope we don't give away our future. Or if we do, at least win the granny.

I know I'm just biased, and wishful thinking, mixed with a little (maybe more than a little) bitterness, but I think it's a great shame to lose Cockatoo.

On talent, he could be one of the best players in the league. If the Lions can get him on the park, I'd back them to win the premiership next year - he's that good.

I'll just hate to read the whole "Brisbane saved him" thing. I don't think he has given himself the best chance at getting on the park over years, fitness-wise, but by the end of this year (even midway) we had him out there. He showed his bull-like qualities, tough as nails tackling (which we need) and explosive runs (which we also need). And he kicked goals (which we need too). And Im pretty sure he's good in regards of his previous leg problems and he was only put on ice because a wrist injury (i think I'm right with that) which can't really be helped or put down to poor medical staff. Point is, dare I say we have helped get him past his leg injuries, and he will walk (or jog or run at speed) to Brisbane ready to go. And Brisbane will get all the credit. (See, told you I'm bitter)

The same for Linc. We worked hard to get his body right too. And he came back and played the last 3-4 games of the VFL season and was finally fit and getting continuity. He left for Brisbane a fully fit player and lo and behold completed a full preseason and hasn't look back, and yet time after time Brisbane get all the credit. I think they just got him at the right time. (still bitter)

Now they'll do the same with Nakia, and I can see it all happening again. But why doesn't Nakia talk to McAdams. He can't get out there. Why can't Brisbane get him right?

Point is he's a great player (a game changer) who finally seems to be past the injuries that have kept him out of the game for so long, and is ready to go. And now Brisbane will get him for cheap (why do they take so many of our forwards?) and we will get nothing for him. And Brisbane will be held up as injury miracle workers. And it makes me sad. (and bitter)

PS. On the flipside we'll no doubt cough up a decent pick to get another old guy in Higgins (32, I believe) who will give us a season or two if we're lucky. I hope we don't give away our future. Or if we do, at least win the granny.
A great player?
The guy has had about 3 good games in his career.
He is a moments kind of guy but hardly a great player. Average <10 possessions per game.

.......................The Lions have held an interest in the explosive Cockatoo for some time and will back their medical team to get him on the park after two games in three seasons.

Explosive. A game changer. Could be one of the best in the league. A great player. If on the paddock he's a flag winner.
" Geelong excitement machine Nakia Cockatoo looms as a potential bargain pick-up this trade period "

wooooooshka u bewdy, that means we can start calling Ben Ronke one of those generational talents, perhaps worth a first rounder.

Geelong coughed up pick 10 for Cockatoo in 2014.
Since then he's played 34 games for 25 goals over 5 seasons. Avged 9.6 disp and 3.0 tkls to go with it. Kicked 3 goals twice in that time.

Ronke came via the rookie draft in 2017. Nice.
Since then Ronke has also played 34 games, but kicked a heap more goals...an actual goal a game small forward. Avged 11.5 disp and 3.2 tkls. Kicked a 7 and a 5 goal haul plus multiple goals on many occasions.

Great players ? Game changers ? At least one of them has shown he can be a game changer on his day.

Cockatoo played a max of 11 games in a season. Ben Ronke in just 3 seasons has held his spot for an 18 and a 13 game season. Both have had their injury concerns of course.

From 34 games Ronke kicked a heap more during losses, showing he doesnt own skates.

I wouldnt worry too much about losing him. Reality is that he's been a pick 10 shocker that your list wont regret losing for a moment. VV lucky someone expressed interest otherwise delisted.

GBP (good bloke premium) 9.5/10

Last edited:

It is disappointing to lose him and we had high hopes. But he isn't a great player, all he is is potential that has not been fulfilled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sound like Geelong want more than pick 53
It's a losing proposition as he's uncontracted but if it was the cats choice they'd never give him up for that.

It's probably more "come on guys, how many free players have we given you over the journey? Can't we get something back this time?"

He's gone anyway and it still won't be for much

Geelong want more than 53 from Brisbane. Brisbane want 53 for Academy player Coleman.
So i assume Lions offered 70 which is all he is worth on exposed form
Brisbane picks at present: 18-19-53-70

Lions will offer more than the 1 year deal that Geelong rightly offered an injury plagued player
All the risk is with the Lions paying salary over multiple years. Geelong trying to get Cameron should be eager to shed some salary cap.
Some trades already processed this year with players having far less risk than Cockatoo. Exception maybe Hogan but even he plays each year
Atkins: for 36
Isac Smith: for 42 - This is what Geelong gave up for a good fit player
Zac-Langdon: 54
Markov: Future 3rd so 44-60
Hogan: 54
Hartigan: Future 4th so 60+
Peter Wright: Future 4th so 60+

Should Cockatoo get to the Lions and plays in the seniors round one that will be 3 years between AFL games

Geelong want more than 53 from Brisbane. Brisbane want 53 for Academy player Coleman.

Lions will offer more than the 1 year deal that Geelong rightly offered an injury plagued player
All the risk is with the Lions paying salary over multiple years. Geelong trying to get Cameron should be eager to shed some salary cap.
Some trades already processed this year with players having far less risk than Cockatoo. Exception maybe Hogan but even he plays each year

Should Cockatoo get to the Lions and plays in the seniors round one that will be 3 years between AFL games
Atkins and Smith weren't trades they were FA compensation

Worth around the Wright mark realistically which isn’t what any Geelong fan would be happy with but it is what it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Nakia Cockatoo [traded to Brisbane for 2021 R3 (Melb)]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back