Training Nakia Cockatoo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are 2019 or bust for a Premiership window.

We’re going all-in!

Cocky plays finals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to see Dusty try and give Cocky the don't argue. Cocky would probably wrench Dusty's arm out of its socket and hit him over the head with it....

Would love to see Dusty try and give Cocky the don't argue. Cocky would probably wrench Dusty's arm out of its socket and hit him over the head with it....
He'd probably give it a good attempt

Wasn't it us back in 2017 that worked out the effective way of tackling Dusty wasn't to go the body, but rather when he put the arm out for the don't argue, that you grab the arm & that limits his effectiveness with disposal

We are 2019 or bust for a Premiership window.

We’re going all-in!

Cocky plays finals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How does bringing in an unproven player whose body keeps breaking down help our finals chances? Won't be of any help being a player down half-way through a final or carrying a guy who is doing nothing because he hasn't played at AFL level for a year, let alone at finals intensity. We have in the past attempted late-season structural or personnel changes to the side, and they typically do not yield positive results. You spend a season figuring out your best side. It's a bad sign if you're still scrambling to find it on the eve of finals or are anticipating the return of an unproven, highly injury-prone player to give you an edge come finals. This is not a Brad Ottens type situation where we know he's best 22 if his body comes right and he can get through some VFL games.

Last edited:
How does bringing in an unproven player whose body keeps breaking down helping our finals chances? Won't be of any help being a player down half-way through a final or carrying a guy who is doing nothing because he hasn't played at AFL level for a year, let alone at finals intensity. We have in the past attempted late-season structural or personnel changes to the side, and they typically do not yield positive results. You spend a season figuring out your best side. It's a bad sign if you're still scrambling to find it on the eve of finals or are anticipating the return of an unproven, highly injury-prone player to give you an edge come finals. This is not a Brad Ottens type situation where we know he's best 22 if his body comes right and he can get through some VFL games.
Ha ha. Do you enjoy pricking little kids' balloons?

He'd probably give it a good attempt

Wasn't it us back in 2017 that worked out the effective way of tackling Dusty wasn't to go the body, but rather when he put the arm out for the don't argue, that you grab the arm & that limits his effectiveness with disposal

Not in the Qualifying Final it wasn’t. Unless Tom Stewart falling over repeatedly classifies as defensive technique.

I think the coaching group will be looking at cockys work in the vfl over the coming weeks not thinking about whether he fills a need come finals, but rather how well he could fill an emerging need for 2020. We may well be about to create a Tim Kelly sized hole in the middle of the ground, can cocky fill that need next year? He's less silk and speed of decision making like Tim and more Dangerfield-like with raw acceleration but we're going to need clearance players.

I would expect him to play out the rest of the vfl season as a pure onballer and see how well he teams up with Chook as I feel those two could balance each others strengths and weaknesses. The coaching group will need to watch that block of games to determine if he's going to be the answer or if he is better off being a forward. Then they can use that info when looking at trade and draft options.

I was starting to let some of the bigfooty comments cloud my opinion of him a bit so I went to the all app and watched the 12 mins of highlights on him from his last game. It's hard not to watch that and think that we could well be getting effectively a gun new recruit. I'm keeping the premiership lid on at this stage, but the cocky 2020 lid is well and truly gone

I think the coaching group will be looking at cockys work in the vfl over the coming weeks not thinking about whether he fills a need come finals, but rather how well he could fill an emerging need for 2020. We may well be about to create a Tim Kelly sized hole in the middle of the ground, can cocky fill that need next year? He's less silk and speed of decision making like Tim and more Dangerfield-like with raw acceleration but we're going to need clearance players.

I would expect him to play out the rest of the vfl season as a pure onballer and see how well he teams up with Chook as I feel those two could balance each others strengths and weaknesses. The coaching group will need to watch that block of games to determine if he's going to be the answer or if he is better off being a forward. Then they can use that info when looking at trade and draft options.

I was starting to let some of the bigfooty comments cloud my opinion of him a bit so I went to the all app and watched the 12 mins of highlights on him from his last game. It's hard not to watch that and think that we could well be getting effectively a gun new recruit. I'm keeping the premiership lid on at this stage, but the cocky 2020 lid is well and truly gone
Agree let Cocky play the rest of the year in the VFL to get confidence in his body for next year which will hopefully see him play 15+ AFL games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you could also visit the youtube channel that has full matches and watch him during the course of a complete game. Highlights show his huge potential.
here's a game from 2016 (couldn't find any 2017). easy game for Cats.

you could also visit the youtube channel that has full matches and watch him during the course of a complete game. Highlights show his huge potential.
here's a game from 2016 (couldn't find any 2017). easy game for Cats.

Didn't even know the channel existed. You just significantly improved my standard of living

yes, he played a dozen or so in 2017 as well but no videos online that I could find. 2018 was quite short.
the point is to watch him for an entire game and balance what you see, how many games played, and what so many seem to expect so see if he is thrown into a finals game.
Be disastrous to throw him into finals on such a flimsy base

PFFTttt....I'm flying in from Bangkok...

:think:

Actually i might stay here...but 100% hoping Cockie plays a cracker....:cool:
take a number... 13000kms here.

And I wont be there.... this week.

Go Catters

True. But he was never unproven at Geelong. And his injury history wasn’t nearly as bad either.
Yes. Although early on Bomber had to famously defend him.
I'm already on the record as saying Cocky won't play seniors this year.
But I have no doubts about his ability to play if the injury thing can be left behind.

Yes. Although early on Bomber had to famously defend him.
I'm already on the record as saying Cocky won't play seniors this year.
But I have no doubts about his ability to play if the injury thing can be left behind.

Yep pretty much agree on that.

He gets back and plays say 4-5 really good VFL games that's enough for me.

He needs a full pre-season for Round 1 next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back