Training Nakia Cockatoo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'll preface my comments here by saying I like Nakia (and appreciate his talent).

However, the idea that a player who's averaged around 10 disposals, 3 tackles, and less than 1 goal per match over his extremely stunted career is going to be an enormous point of difference in a red hot AFL finals series is highly fanciful in my mind. And all this after the best part of two full years out of the game as well.

He might come into the senior team in time for finals. He might even be a superior option to others we have available to fill the last spots in the 22. But I don't see him being a huge factor at all in whether we flourish or fail in the AFL finals this season.

If he did become a crucial cog in September success for the senior side this year, it would be just about the most staggering reversal of both fitness and form lines by any player over the history of the AFL/VFL.

This argument doesn't hold a lot of water to me, go and tell me Max Rookes stats please, then tell me he wasn't important for us...

This argument doesn't hold a lot of water to me, go and tell me Max Rookes stats please, then tell me he wasn't important for us...

Rooke's stats aren't dissimilar at all. My concern isn't limited to stats, though.

I'm also of the opinion that a player with so long out of the game (and consequently out of the sense of cohesion that any good team forms) is not likely to have a great impact in the biggest games of an AFL season.

Anyway, I hope that those who believe he is going to be enormously important are correct. However, I still believe the weight of evidence is against a player coming from this far back in terms of preparation and experience to have a key role in winning AFL finals.

Rooke's stats aren't dissimilar at all. My concern isn't limited to stats, though.

I'm also of the opinion that a player with so long out of the game (and consequently out of the sense of cohesion that any good team forms) is not likely to have a great impact in the biggest games of an AFL season.

Anyway, I hope that those who believe he is going to be enormously important are correct. However, I still believe the weight of evidence is against a player coming from this far back in terms of preparation and experience to have a key role in winning AFL finals.
I’m in the same mind as well, however you know the MC will pick him if he continues to put up performances like last weekend for the rest of the year.

He monstered Port with his tackling and intensity, he does look fit and I’d rather keep him in the VFL and wait for next year after a big pre season .

He will be a real weapon for the club if he can keep fit

Rooke’s influence has grown with each passing year and to me is pretty overrated. He only became a core player in 2008-2009 and then he retired. We had a much stronger side too, and Rooke’s inclusion in 2007 for the finals was never going to make or break the team.

I’m in the same mind as well, however you know the MC will pick him if he continues to put up performances like last weekend for the rest of the year.

He monstered Port with his tackling and intensity, he does look fit and I’d rather keep him in the VFL and wait for next year after a big pre season .

Yeah I’d prefer he becomes a consistent senior player before anything else. He still hasn’t so far.

Isn't the whole reason we held him back for so much longer than was strictly necessary to get that pre-season type loading into him? That was always my impression. And you can easily imagine why he would have been frustrated (as per reports) if he was being forced to do pre-season work during the football season while everyone around him was playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rooke’s influence has grown with each passing year and to me is pretty overrated. He only became a core player in 2008-2009 and then he retired. We had a much stronger side too, and Rooke’s inclusion in 2007 for the finals was never going to make or break the team.
yeah i actually agree with this, we all loved Max, but his impact and influence is much less than the way people reflect back on it

God if only, get him in our midfield please!

In his last AFL game over here V Eagles last year he played as a mid in the second quarter.
He had a 10 minute patch where he had it on a string and dominated , was good for the whole quarter but that burst had real wow factor.
Sadly he didn't return after half time.
If he can replicate that quarter he's a starting mid , but that's the question with him - can he be fit enough to play enough to see if that potential can be realised.
I hope he can as his pace , power and hardness could be an awesome combination for us :)
Fingers crossed for second game back , hope he does a "Linc" for us and puts the injury woes behind him

Arguments about his potential aside, if he's fit, I'd prefer him in a Finals series than the 22nd player we'd select.
That is what it comes down to for me as well, compare his possible output to say Atkins, Cocky you imagine has at worst case MORE impact from the same stats... he is quicker, stronger etc.. more likely to run someone down, more likely to make them feel it when he gets them, more likely to do something that no one else can do.
He needs to be judged accordingly, he is an upgrade on the bottom end, not helping the top end... yet

That is what it comes down to for me as well, compare his possible output to say Atkins, Cocky you imagine has at worst case MORE impact from the same stats... he is quicker, stronger etc.. more likely to run someone down, more likely to make them feel it when he gets them, more likely to do something that no one else can do.
He needs to be judged accordingly, he is an upgrade on the bottom end, not helping the top end... yet

Atkins is also the guy for me.

I like Atkins, but I think Nakia would offer a little bit more.

In his last AFL game over here V Eagles last year he played as a mid in the second quarter.
He had a 10 minute patch where he had it on a string and dominated , was good for the whole quarter but that burst had real wow factor.
Sadly he didn't return after half time.
If he can replicate that quarter he's a starting mid , but that's the question with him - can he be fit enough to play enough to see if that potential can be realised.
I hope he can as his pace , power and hardness could be an awesome combination for us :)
Fingers crossed for second game back , hope he does a "Linc" for us and puts the injury woes behind him
Even if he could play forward with some bursts through there, just something to change up our stale, one-paced, one-way running midfield; same as Narkle, get him in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back