Training Nakia Cockatoo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely this puts a line through any prospect of playing senior football in 2019 - sign him on a 1-year deal, get him right fit day 1 of pre-season, and tackle 2020 head on

Meanwhile, Nakia Cockatoo will miss Saturday’s VFL match against North Melbourne with general soreness after his comeback match last week.

Cockatoo was named in the VFL team on Thursday night but was withdrawn on Friday.

He was on light duties at training on Wednesday and Geelong is committed to playing the long game with him to ensure his body can consistently handle the rigours of playing after such a long injury layoff.

Cockatoo played only a half last week and the Cats had planned to increase his game time on Saturday in the curtain-raiser at GMHBA Stadium.

But his withdrawal makes it harder for him to mount a case to return to AFL level this season.

Surely this puts a line through any prospect of playing senior football in 2019 - sign him on a 1-year deal, get him right fit day 1 of pre-season, and tackle 2020 head on

Hoping this is just being super conservative

General soreness is a furphy IMO

It will be weather related, freezing cold and wet and sloopy.. Neither are any good for someone who has had a history of soft tissue injuries.

No point risking him in that shit tomorrow..

If anything this further strengthens my thinking he is a serious chance to be thrown in for finals

It will be weather related, freezing cold and wet and sloopy.. Neither are any good for someone who has had a history of soft tissue injuries.

No point risking him in that s**t tomorrow..

If anything this further strengthens my thinking he is a serious chance to be thrown in for finals
Agree on everything but the last bit

I doubt he would have the match fitness for the finals

There's that perspective too..... an astute one actually.

More I think about it the more logical it seems.

Hope it's nearer the truth of the matter.

Sore or not it's still conservatism. I just don't think there's enough time left in the season to get him to match fitness. If they wanted him in they'd be rolling the dice I think

There's that perspective too..... an astute one actually.

More I think about it the more logical it seems.

Hope it's nearer the truth of the matter.
I genuinely don't think any good can come from tomorrow, ones or twos.
Will be shit, cold, wet, scrappy and rubbish in both games

Fitness aside, he's actually no good anyway.
Prove otherwise.

*ducks
Go watch the goal where he did the hammy that started all his injury worries. Best goal kicked by a Geelong player since Ablett in the early nineties. It was his third for the day. He hasn’t played a full consecutive game since that day. All his other games have been first games returning from injury or games where he breaks down before half time. Even ablett snr was usually shit in his first game back from an extended injury.

He is in the top 2 football talents I’ve seen at the club in 30 years. He may even be the best. We will probably never find out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When it comes to the Cats, I consider myself an eternal optimist. But turning this around to think it's evidence he's being primed for the finals is at a level even I can't attain.

Agree on everything but the last bit

I doubt he would have the match fitness for the finals

Exactly. He won't have anything even close to the match fitness needed for finals.

To quote Jim Cornette, "he'd be sucking wind so hard the first three rows would pass out from oxygen deprivation".

Too sloopy for a cocky.
Im liking it
That gruesome rain and snow!
Bring out the banjoes

Yeah this! Today has soft tissue written all over it. Would be stupid to put him out there.
I wonder in the future, like motor racing has tyre warmers if players will get hammy and calf warmers that get removed at the start of the game.
If they weren't really serious about considering him for finals they would actually play him IMO.

Yeah this! Today has soft tissue written all over it. Would be stupid to put him out there.
I wonder in the future, like motor racing has tyre warmers if players will get hammy and calf warmers that get removed at the start of the game.
If they weren't really serious about considering him for finals they would actually play him IMO.
He showed enough last week in a half easily take Atkins spot. He just doesn’t have the conditioning. So they can build that by crushing him on the track for two weeks, VFL next week, Carlton the week after, rest during the pre-final bye, which will remove the traditional tiredness after the first game back.

Let’s not forgot the Hawks bringing Cyril back after a regular season out rehabbing his hamstrings.

He showed enough last week in a half easily take Atkins spot. He just doesn’t have the conditioning. So they can build that by crushing him on the track for two weeks, VFL next week, Carlton the week after, rest during the pre-final bye, which will remove the traditional tiredness after the first game back.

Let’s not forgot the Hawks bringing Cyril back after a regular season out rehabbing his hamstrings.
Yeah they can do that. Or just forget about him till next year.
Either way it's a good idea not playing him today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back