Name change WTF!!

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day it's just a sponsorship, and by the sounds of it a very profitable one. Cast your mind back to when we first went from Samsung to HSBC as major sponsors...I can remember being a little confused when it was announced that we would be known as the HSBC Hawks. But it has just been used corporately or for example at the MCG home games when it is announced welcome to the home of the HSBC hawks...somehow i dont think there is any danger of the cheersquad telling everyone to give them a T, A, S, etc. We still are, and shall forever be the Hawthorn Hawks...and if anyone tries to change that we saw in 1996 just how much balls we have as a club to not allow it

Tasroo said:
A map of Tassie on your jumpers is pretty appropriate I think!

But seriously, it will be great to have a Tassie team in the AFL next season. I hope in the heritage round they allow them to play in the Tasmanian state jumper!

That aint a bad idea Tasroo.

I like it (mainly cose I am a Tasmanian ;) )

Hawkk said:
Fair enough,

Sorry for being a little hostile...I'm just gutted that this deal has gone through without looking out for our Victorian members first.

Ok, I can get where you are coming from. The money will do some good long term and it isn't really a name change, so in 10 years no one will remember.

Heritage round in a Tasmanian state jumper? You have to be joking.

Our Heritage is in Hawthorn! Where the ****ing members are! Where the social club is! (oh wait... thanks Jeff).

Tasroo said:
Ok, I can get where you are coming from. The money will do some good long term and it isn't really a name change, so in 10 years no one will remember.

At least we will be here in 10 years, can you guarantee that YOU will be???
When you get a $15 Million dollar sponsorship then maybe you will be able to find your identity!!!!! We know who we are and ALWAYS will be, the HAWTHORN HAWKS.. I would sell my soul to the devil if it meant we would remain the Hawthorn Football Club.
And by the way, please go take a HOP Skippy...and preferably get lost!!!!!

notting18 said:
PPL i have 1 question for you... have u ever heard of the AAPT lions? im guessing not... naming rights only mean that AAPT will say " proud sponsers of the AAPTS Brisbane Lions" and noone else pays attention, So calm down!
Exactly.

notting18 said:
PPL i have 1 question for you... have u ever heard of the AAPT lions? im guessing not... naming rights only mean that AAPT will say " proud sponsers of the AAPTS Brisbane Lions" and noone else pays attention So calm down!

Ever heard of the HSBC Hawks?

I've seen the ad on TV heaps.

Its not about the Tasmanian sponsorship. "Tourism Tasmania Hawks" I can handle.

I don't like the ownership "Tassie Hawks" implies.

GALON said:

AAPT is a company.

The Tasmanian Government is a Government body.

I suppose in this day and age I shouldn't have thought there was a difference between the two. :rolleyes:

You know what, I was a fan of us moving games down to Tasmania, but having a whopping emblem of a different state to our home one is absolute crap. Ridicule me for 'over-reacting' all you want, i'm not budging. This is the worst news i've heard in a long, long time ...

philhawk said:
AAPT is a company.

You know what, I was a fan of us moving games down to Tasmania, but having a whopping emblem of a different state to our home one is absolute crap. Ridicule me for 'over-reacting' all you want, i'm not budging. This is the worst news i've heard in a long, long time ...

I don't believe you are over-reacting. We have put up with ridicule for years. This sets us up for more. Can't waite for TFS to drag this out longer than Lion's stretcher gag:mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

philhawk said:
Now we're going to be the brunt of ****ty Tasmanian jokes for the next five year. :rolleyes:
Awww, you'll get through it, just keep your chins up and your heads high, both of them :D

Agree with everything that has been written on this thread. Understand the passion and frustration at the decision because its come from left field but lets sit back and have a think for a moment. We have just invested in a multi-million dollar complex in Waverly, we aren't going anywhere in the near future! The sponsorship dollars out of this are excellent and the only thing that will come of it is the Tassie Hawks. To be honest I hardly notice the current "HSBC" hawks sponsor when they mention it so I doubt I will notice Tassie Hawks. Really, its a great sponsor and good dollars so lets get behind the people who are being pro-active and getting us good sponsors rather than pre dicker administration that were reactive and almost killed us. Good work Jeff, keep these deals coming, hopefully the next few are less controversial with the members tho! Lets take this all in and then judge I say!
Someone suggested we be Tourism Tasmania Hawks and I think that would be much better!

philhawk said:
AAPT is a company.

I suppose in this day and age I shouldn't have thought there was a difference between the two. :rolleyes:

I have been pi*sed off for a fair while today but have cooled down abit.

I'm with you here Phil, It is Sh*t. I dont like the way Jeff kept the Tassie name and logo a secret from the members. He said he would keep us up to date on his poxy president report on the Hawks Website. He has clearly let this very important part out becouse of the outcry it would cause.

i almost see this a being dishonest with us members. it could cause a trust issue in the future for him forsure.

I don't mind playing the 4 games down there at all. I do realise it is a naming rights sponser as well. I suppose once it's up and running it won't be so bad. But it's going to be hard to swallow with all the Knob heads here on BF and in the media who are to stupid to see the bigger picture and take pot shots at HAWTHORN.

It's a naming right sponser logo and not much more as pathetic and poxy it will be.

philhawk said:
AAPT is a company.

Sort of like when you jumped up out of nowhere and claimed that Zac Dawson was a dud and should be delisted after he'd just played, possibly, his best game for the season, eh Phill.

You stick by your view, and i'll stick by mine.
You wanna run around screaming that the sky is falling, thats your choice. A few of us here, think this is for the betterement of the football club and can see past all the hoo-haa.

'You WILL love it" President Jeff - Sept 1st 2006

They decided not to hold out for the MCG games guarantee after all - not exactly master negotiators I see.

Too much spin in the article for my liking.

And the 'detail' of the emblem still to be 'worked out' - thats pollie speak for "Lots of tassie and not much Hawk"

Jeff will decide (on his ******** son's expert fashion advice) that brown and gold is soooo eighties and gteen and gols is the way to go

Will we see a return of the Velcroe Hawk ?

GALON said:
Sort of like when you jumped up out of nowhere and claimed that Zac Dawson was a dud and should be delisted after he'd just played, possibly, his best game for the season, eh Phill.

You stick by your view, and i'll stick by mine.
You wanna run around screaming that the sky is falling, thats your choice. A few of us here, think this is for the betterement of the football club and can see past all the hoo-haa.

A bit, i'm rather short tempered. I'm still annoyed GALON, don't get me wrong, but i'll wait till I actually see what transpires next year before I officially declare WW3. :D

C.O.G. said:
Ever heard of the HSBC Hawks?

I've seen the ad on TV heaps.

Its not about the Tasmanian sponsorship. "Tourism Tasmania Hawks" I can handle.

I don't like the ownership "Tassie Hawks" implies.
Totally agree ,i hope this isn't the end of it because i have supported HAWTHORN for 38 yrs (since i could remember)and i cannot.....will not support a team that carries the Tasmanian name.Nothing against the place mind you ,it means nothing to me at all.IMO this is as close to a relocation as you can get without moving away totally and i don't like it one little bit.

I'm obviously not the only guy who watches the Simpsons, but does anyone remember the episode 'Hungry, Hungry Homer'?

Here's the plot summary from Wikipedia,

The Simpson family visits Blockoland, a theme park which is completely made of blocks. Lisa is ripped off when her Eiffel Tower kit has a missing Blocko piece. In response, Homer "sticks up for the little guy", and he gets Lisa her piece she needs. He also stands up for the little guy by helping Bart get a girlfriend for an upcoming school dance and helps Marge get two free hair streaks. When he tries to help Lenny by getting him a refund on his tickets for the Springfield Isotopes, Homer encounters the Isotopes' owner Howard K. Duff VIII. The owner refuses to give Homer a refund but in his haste to leave, Homer discovers evidence that the Isotopes are moving to Albuquerque. Duff insists that they are not moving and he has Duffman drug Homer to cover up the truth.

Homer is shocked and attempts to alert the media to the plan, but Duff removes all traces of the evidence Homer found. The journalists dismiss Homer's story and call him a liar. In response, Homer stages a hunger strike in which he chains himself to a pole near Duff Stadium in order to force the owners of the team to admit they are moving to Albuquerque. He attracts a great deal of attention so the team decides to move him into the ballpark and exploit his popularity using the name "Hungry, Hungry Homer." Eventually Homer becomes so thin and sickly that the team decides to get rid of him. In a public ceremony, the team's owner unchains him and offers him a free hot dog. Homer realizes the hot dog is topped with Southwestern ingredients and this proves the team really is moving to Albuquerque. The crowd then takes notice that the hot dogs are even wrapped with "Albuquerque Isotopes" paper. Howard K. Duff VIII tries to continue his denials but even Duffman turns against him. Homer's hunger strike is over as he celebrates under a shower of food thrown by the cheering fans.

This time, there is no Homer to come to our rescue ... :D

Heropsychodreamer said:
....and then stay in melbourne?
We are not leaving Melbourne our headquarters and training facilities are at Waverley where enormous funding will be poured into it ex the sponsorship deals as with the Tasmanian Government and HSBC.

For heavens sake, 4 games a year at Yorke Park doesn't base us in Tassie. We remain a Melbourne club and will be very influential, financially and on the paddock.

i think tassie on the jumper would have been enough for when we play in tassie only.. it just doesn't seem right a victorian club with a tassie logo

i do think some people are overreacting though

Remove this Banner Ad

Name change WTF!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back