Name your top 5 players of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

G Ablett
P Matera
M Riccutio
C Enright
A Kouta

Corey McKernan could have made the list, as his best footy saw him totally dominate games - but he just didn't do it often enough.

I started watching footy seriously in about 1987.

1. Carey.
2. Ablett Snr.
These two are pretty clear to me.

3. McLeod. Surprised how rarely he has featured in people's lists, but I saw both the 97 and 98 GFs live, and he was just untouchable in both.

4. Hird, I guess. I watch a game just to see this guy play, which is rare for me.

After that I find it harder, but I guess I'd say 5. Jakovich.

Hard to believe that there would be no player from the Hawthorn team that we didn't beat once for about the first 7 years I watched footy (Dunstall?), the Brisbane three-peat team (Voss?) or the Geelong team of the past few years (Ablett jnr?). Judd also does stuff that no one else I've see can, so he'd be stiff.

My top 5 VFL-AFL players:

1. Leigh Matthews
2. Gary Ablett snr
3. Wayne Carey
4. Bruce Doull
5. Keith Greig

My top 5 players outside AFL:

1. Barrie Robran/Russell Ebert
2. Stephen Michael
3. Garry McIntosh
4. Peter 'Super' Carey
5. Michael Aish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. James Hird- an outright legend and his courage and determination was beyong anything i have ever seen (and thats coming from a carlton supporter)

2. Greg Williams- a class above most else

3. Michael Voss- just a great leader

4. Garry Ablett Snr- no1 could stop him apart from SOS

5. Chris Judd- a superstar who goes the extra mile in all apects of his training
when hes career is over him and ablett jnr will be some of the best players to grace field

I only feel comfortable rating players I've seen since I got into footy, so no Matthews or Barassi for me... here's mine (since 1988 or so).

1. Wayne Carey
2. Robert Harvey
3. Gary Ablett
4. Tony Lockett
5. Michael Voss

Wish I could have given Danny Frawley a spot, since he was the reason I moved to defence in the first place. Such a lionhearted guy.

1. James Hird
2. Wayne Carey
3. Tony Lockett
4. Gary Ablett
5. Michael Voss

Hird is definitely the best - and most consistently brilliant and gutsy - player I have seen. Like as bluepride said above, he was simply beyond peer imo, and that's again quite something coming from a Carlton supporter.

My Favourite 5 to watch:

Cousins (never seen a midfielder work their ass off as much a him)
Buckley (those long bomb goals from outside 50 and pure skill with the footy)
Hird (one word CLASS - loved watching this guy play - he could win you a game)
Carey (best CHF of all time)
Judd (IMO the best mid in the game today... pace to burn)

Special Mention - Darren Jarman (just for his finals in 97 and 98 - exciting to watch especially those 4? last qtr goals in 97 grand final... gem)

1. Gary Ablett (senior)
2. Wayne Carey
3. Greg Williams
4. Tony Lockett
5. Matthew Richardson

That'll do. Obviously that's only players that I've seen. There's an awful lot of modern day players that get eulogised, but I can't see any (at present) that would dislodge my top 3.

Carey
Voss
Hird
Richo
Lockett

Those in any order, Buckley would be next.

This coming from a guy who probably hasn't even seen Garlett play, let alone Matthews.

I like this new relentless fail strategy you have. Keep at it.

It's true I haven't seen Garlett play live once, but I saw Matthews live more than you've seen footage of him and have seen footage of both more than you've seen anything of Skilton. Your take on failure is always good for a laugh though.

Who are your top 5 players, from anyside, you've witnessed and seen in your time? I'm not asking about players before you were born. Who are the players that have made you take notice the most.

1 - Tiger Woods: What is it now... 11/12 in the bag and counting... current leading player in the world by far.

2. Shane Warne: Deadset legend... also handy with a cricket ball.

3. Jude Law: Renowned ladies man and mile high club president.

4. John Mayer: Better not whimp out and hitch up with Jen to become... Johneffer.

5. Jeff Lisandro: National hero show casing making gambling a career.

:D :D :D

... ohhhh I missed your last sentence, in that case:

1 - Wayne Carey: Hardest position on the field and he ruled it (forget his term at the Adelaide retirment village).

2 - Gary Ablett: There is only 1 GA... Junior is no where near his old man, but that is a different argument. GA was a freak in every sense.

3 - Greg Williams: Best pure midfielder/follower by far. Dominated getting to the more fancier finishing types who 'looked better'... fact is GW made them look good.

4 - Russel Ebert: Best skilled player I have EVER seen at any level. A complete master of ALL football skills. A great marker, always handled the ball brillantly in ANY conditions and had pin-point disposal. Add to this his brillance at 1%ers smothering, tackling, sheparding etc. He was a professional and complete footballer before there was such a thing. It was a shame his peak was before the game expanded to a national audience for all to witness.

5 - Darren Jarman: Talking about fancy finishers... he was the Rolls Royce of footy players. The 2nd best skilled player on either side with any limb I have seen.

Done. :)

4 - Russel Ebert: Best skilled player I have EVER seen at any level. A complete master of ALL football skills. A great marker, always handled the ball brillantly in ANY conditions and had pin-point disposal. Add to this his brillance at 1%ers smothering, tackling, sheparding etc. He was a professional and complete footballer before there was such a thing. It was a shame his peak was before the game expanded to a national audience for all to witness.

I have heard many great stories about this bloke.

It's a damn shame he never came over to North 5 years earlier.

It's true I haven't seen Garlett play live once, but I saw Matthews live more than you've seen footage of him and have seen footage of both more than you've seen anything of Skilton. Your take on failure is always good for a laugh though.

You must've been to a few Hawthorn games then. I attended the last 3 years of Matthews career. We'll say 60 games all up. Assuming you only went to Carlton Hawthorn fixtures to see Matthews, you would've had to have witnessed Lethal playing for 30 seasons.

I admire your committment to failure. Outstanding.

I haven't seen a lot of Skilton, but enough to make a judgement. Probably the closest I can find to Matthews himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Name your top 5 players of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back