Name your top 5 players of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW, given this thread seems largely post 1985, and seeing as I'm
*cough middle aged cough*,

1. EJ Whitten - the complete footballer

2. Bobby Skilton - 3 Charlies in a consistently bottom side

Had these two played in strong sides, they would have been the best of all time.

3. Leigh Matthews - another great in any era

4. Wayne Carey - one of the few players Whitten would have trouble with

5. G Ablett jnr - has done enough already to be on this list

Apologies (in no particular order) to: Bernie Quinlan, Daicos, Jezza, Polly Farmer, Royce Hart, Greg Williams, Doug Wade, James Hird, Ablett snr, Lockett and Michael Long.

1. Gordon Coventry (In a period where scores were not so high managed 1299 goals. Most dominant player ever of any period)
2. Syd Coventry (Captained Collingwood to 4 consecutive flags 1927-1930)
3. Gary Ablett SNR
4. Will be: Gary Ablett JNR
5. Wayne Carey

1. Garry Ablett Snr
2. James Hird
3. Robert Harvey
4. Stephen Silvagni
5. Darren Jarman

6. Wayne Carey
7. Leigh Matthews
8. Michael Voss
9. Greg Williams
10. Peter Matera

I've placed in order of "my personal favorites" however all are as good as each other IMO. Apart from Garry Snr I tried to leave out your traditional FF's like Dunstall and Lockett, yes they are easily top 10, but I tried to mix it up a bit.

Unlucky

Glen Archer
Jason Dunstall
Tony Lockett
Nathan Buckley
Simon Madden
Dustin Fletcher
Chris Judd
Tim Watson
Scott West
Mark Riccuito

The first 4 stand out for me, my 5th pick could have been one of many so I went with more of a personal favourite.

1. Wayne Carey - Could single handedly win games of football, sometimes in the space of 10 mins. Big game player also.

2. Robert Harvey - Just never seemed to waste a possession and the problem was he'd get so many of them. Always hit a target and even though he wasn't a prolific goal kicker, he would set so many up.

3. Jason Dunstall - I remember watching him as a young kid and the thing that sticks in my mind the most was his accuracy in front of goal. If he marked anywhere inside the forward 50 you'd pretty much say "Oh crap! Here we go.", whilst covering your eyes at the same time.

4. James Hird - Another who could single handedly win games of football and had the ability to do the miraculous right when his team needed it the most. Great leader.

5. Glenn Archer - So passionate for his jumper. A true clubman. Totally couragous to the point where it seemed like he had a complete disregard for his own safety.

As I was born in 1989 I can't really say I saw the best of Carey, Ablett etc so I'll go on what I've seen:

1. Hird
2. Ablett jnr
3. Buckley
4. Voss
5. Scarlett

I'd expect Franklin to be in there in a few years time. If I was talking about players at their best I'd have him in but GAJ has had three outstanding seasons in a row where Franklin has had one outstanding season.

As for the Collingwood supporter who put in Syd Coventry, you have got to be kidding me, you didn't even see him play and those who did wouldn't have him in their best 5 of all time.

Hird, Carey, Lockett, Voss, Black.

AG, icant beleive you have black in there. He is a great player but there is at least 50 before him.

Anyway, if i havent already posted in here....

Ablett snr, Carey- cant split them, watched all of careys career, but didnt see a lot of abletts early stuff.
Matthews- although i didnt see much of him live i have been told by numerous non Hawks that he was THE BEST of all time.
Hird- a personal fav of mine, great to watch, bucketloads of courage.
Lockett/dunstall. I would have Dunstall here, butr how can you leave out lockett.

Unlucky- Voss, Platten, Buckley.

I'm only 22, so I haven't seen as many greats as a few of you guys have. Even from that list I only saw a handful of brilliant years from Carey and Lockett. I rate Black very highly and he was voted the player of the decade by a lot of people on BF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1- Carey
2 - Ablett Snr
3 - Voss
4 - Hird
5 - Lockett

Ablett and Carey for me are the standouts and in another league. Both Champions of the game that took football to a level few have or will ever reach.
Voss for his hardness and leadership skills, Hird for his sublime football ability and Big Tony for his raw power and aggression. One out he was very hard to beat.

BEST I'VE SEEN
1. Wayne Carey
2. Gary Ablett Snr.
3. Greg Williams
4. James Hird
5. Michael Voss
6. Jason Dunstall
7. Robert Harvey
8. Tony Lockett
9. Nathan Buckley
10. Stephen Silvagni

BEST EVER (From what I've heard)
1. Haydn Bunton
2. Wayne Carey
3. Leigh Matthews
4. John Coleman
5. Bob Skilton
6. Dick Reynolds
7. Ted Whitten
8. Polly Farmer
9. Jack Dyer
10. Gary Ablett Snr.

The Best Players I've Seen (since approximately 1978):

1. Gary Ablett, Snr.
2. Michael Voss
3. Leigh Matthews
4. Wayne Carey
5. James Hird

1. CAREY
2. ABLETT (SNR)
3 HIRD
4. DUNSTALL
5. LOCKETT

6. harvey
7. voss
8. ablett (jnr)
9. buckley
10. mathews

1. Peter Matera
2. Wayne Carey
3. James Hird
4. Robert Harvey
5. Gary Ablett Jr

For me,

Ablett Snr (comfortably)
Carey
Lockett
Matthews
Flower/Hird/Blight/Buckley/Voss

And special mention to John Greening who I honestly believe would have been the best Collingwood player of all time, and convinced he could have made this list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Name your top 5 players of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back