Name your top 5 players of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have heard many great stories about this bloke.

It's a damn shame he never came over to North 5 years earlier.

Victorian clubs were chasing him for 10 years before he eventually decided to go to NMFC as a 30 year old in 1979.

IIRC he finished reasonably well in their B&F (2nd or 3rd) and polled 9 Brownlow votes... despite being based in Adelaide and travelling over for games and training. I am sure I have read that somewhere but can't find it again to confirm.

You must've been to a few Hawthorn games then. I attended the last 3 years of Matthews career. We'll say 60 games all up. Assuming you only went to Carlton Hawthorn fixtures to see Matthews, you would've had to have witnessed Lethal playing for 30 seasons.

I admire your committment to failure. Outstanding.

I haven't seen a lot of Skilton, but enough to make a judgement. Probably the closest I can find to Matthews himself.

My Dad had two players for years he couldn't separate (and he's Geelong like me) - Bob Skilton and John Coleman. He now puts Ablett above them, but only just.

You must've been to a few Hawthorn games then. I attended the last 3 years of Matthews career. We'll say 60 games all up. Assuming you only went to Carlton Hawthorn fixtures to see Matthews, you would've had to have witnessed Lethal playing for 30 seasons.

I admire your committment to failure. Outstanding.

I haven't seen a lot of Skilton, but enough to make a judgement. Probably the closest I can find to Matthews himself.

Firstly, I just don't believe that you have been to that many Matthews' games. Quite simply, I know you lie when the truth doesn't support you. Maybe, just maybe, you got along to a few games in a stroller before Matthews retired, which would be congruent with your usual understanding.

Furthermore, my grandfather, rest his soul, was a long time Hawk man and yes, I went to my fair share of Hawk games over the years. Sadly for us, he passed away just as the Hawks entered their era of dominance.

Again, your take on failure is amusing, but you are the expert after all.

~In My Opinion~

1. Tony Lockett - Amazing to watch. Dominated nearly every defender that was faced with him.
2. Gary Ablett Snr - Amazing with his high-flying marks and amazing accuracy
3. Paul Hudson - Kicked 700 - 800 goals in just over 100 games. Could have been best goal-kicker of all time
4. Wayne Carey - Despite his public life, he was an amazing footy player. One of the best
5. Gary Ablett Jnr - Half way through and absoloutley amazing. Probaly not number 5 yet, but I love him too peices.

Its pretty modern because I dont watch alot of footy behind the 1980's.

1) Wayne Carey
2) Gary Ablett
3) Leigh Matthews
4) Michael Voss
5) Tony Lockett

after that u have... dunstall, hird, buckley, riccuito, mcleod, judd, harvey

outside of afl... robran, ebert, aish

Ok Im only 22 so I'm just gonna name the Top 5 Player's of all time that I've seen!!!

1. Wayne Carey - I saw him kick 9 goals against one year, I think '99 and it was one of the best individual performances I've ever seen. Amazing player.

2. James Hird - A genuine Legend of the game, so many games I can think of but geez that West Coast game after the tumultous week he had to come and completely dominate a game like that was unbelievable. Most inspirational player I've seen.

3. Anthony Koutofides - In his prime he was almost unstoppable. Single handedly won the game for Carlton in the '99 Prelim final and was supreme in the air.

4. Tony Lockett - Nothing much needs to be said. Just a champion goal kicker, great hands and a beautiful kick for goal.

5. Ben Cousins - This guy was an absolute freak - the ultimate midfielder, strenth, pace, excellent disposal and a huge engine.

Apologies to Nathan Buckley, Tony Modra, and Michael Voss.

In no particular order:

Tony Modra
Wayne Carey
James Hird
Lance Franklin
Dustin Fletcher (yes that's right a defender)

Bartel said:
3. Paul Hudson - Kicked 700 - 800 goals in just over 100 games. Could have been best goal-kicker of all time
Surely you mean Peter Hudson?

Best I have seen

Barry Robran ---absolute gun could do anything and make it look easy
Wayne Carey ---toughest posy to play and he dominated games from Chf
Tony Lockett ---Unstopable and a brilliant kick for goal
Russell Ebert----smoooooth,did things others couldn't
John Platten----best rover I have ever seen play was fearless with amazing skills to match.

Firstly, I just don't believe that you have been to that many Matthews' games. Quite simply, I know you lie when the truth doesn't support you. Maybe, just maybe, you got along to a few games in a stroller before Matthews retired, which would be congruent with your usual understanding.

Not really concerned with what you believe. You know I lie? Well, that's great, but of the two of us I think I would have the better idea of when I'm telling the truth or not. :rolleyes:

Furthermore, my grandfather, rest his soul, was a long time Hawk man and yes, I went to my fair share of Hawk games over the years. Sadly for us, he passed away just as the Hawks entered their era of dominance.

Right, but nowhere in this story did you mention in which seasons you attended Hawk games. The era of dominance started in 1971.

Again, your take on failure is amusing, but you are the expert after all.

And we end with your version of 'takes one to know one'.

I posted this in another list thread.

1. Carey - Never was there a player that could grab a game at a whim and savage it before your eyes. There was little anyone could do but watch in disbelief. When he was on (and that was plenty), any overhead ball in the 30-60m arc that he wanted was his, no questions asked. The thing was, everyone knew at the time (early mid 90s) they were watching history, somehow knowing they'd have to recall these feats for comparisons 50 years from now.

2. Ablett Snr - Amazing. Brilliant. Spellbinding. We'll never see another player like him. 1000+ goals with more than half his games being played outside the arc.

3. Williams - I don't care what anyone says, a damaging inside midfielder is the most valuable player on the field. Got the ball like Harvey, had a boot like Jarman and handball like Polly. Simply leagues ahead of anyone in making the correct and creative decision. The footballer's footballer

4. Lockett - I don't know how anyone could conceive putting this force of nature outside their top 5. All time goal record. He's skinned the other champions in most 10 goal hauls by almost 50%. Also caused 6 crowd invasions during this period.

5. Hird - In the "H v V v B" debate Hird gets it for mine. Not only was he an amazing match winner, he had the ability to produce more WTF moments that just skewered the opposition than the other two. He could play tall and win his own ball all over the ground. Pure class and underrated for his courage.

6. Voss - Hard to split with Hird as they did over their whole careers. V12 engine. Absolute inside/outside machine who led arguable the best team of all time to 3 consecutive cups under a heavy tag.

7. Dunstall - 1254 goals (+ nearly 300 gifted to teammates). Hawthorn's conversion rate inside 50 when he was in the line-up must have been phenomenal.

8. Silvagni - What a switch hitter! Fight tooth and nail for clean sheet against some of the biggest FF legends of all time and would keep most to 1s and 2s. Never got flogged, yet the next week could well slot home 8 up the other end.

9. Buckley - Super balance and just about a perfect kick. If he had more inside about his play, he'd be further up this list. Even then, he's no slouch at clearances. Very damaging performer.

10. Harvey - The Saints champion gets the nod for the final spot over a great of list of super players who didn't make it. To understand the how good Harvey was, you really need to be a Saints supporter. For me he just wasn't nearly as damaging as someone who gets the ball that much should be. What you can't deny was his ability to get the pill, hold it and get rid of it under the most intense pressure. Personifies inside. An obvious champion.

Note: I don't think I saw enough of Lethal to justify putting him in my list.

From about 1990 onwards:
1- Gary Ablett snr: freakshow. could go on forever but needn't say anymore
2- James Hird: inspirational, courageous, big game player.
3- Wayne Carey: see above
4- Michael Voss: again see above
5- Paul Kelly: yep, see above. all you could ask for in a leader.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett Snr
Carey
Lockett
Dunstall
Williams

Special mention (just a few): McLeod, Jarman, Hird, Sos, Voss, Ricciuto, Crawford, Roos, Peter Matera, Simon Madden, Buckley, Daicos, Kernahan, Brereton, Wayne Johnson, Gary Hocking, Judd, Winmar, Watson, Millane.

I'm 23, so from early/mid 1990's to now

1) Gary Ablett Snr - Freakish, the most naturally gifted footballer I've seen.

2) Wayne Carey - Absolutely dominant power forward, could just take hold of the game like no other.

3) Darren Jarman - The Crows still wouldn't have won anything if he had not come home, sublime skills and uncanny awareness of everything around him.

4) James Hird - Moved so smoothly, and made everything look completely effortless.

5) Andrew McLeod - At his best, perhaps the smoothest mover I've seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Name your top 5 players of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back