Nathan Ablett joins Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 11, 2009
MEL --> ADL
AFL Club
Sydney
Nathan Ablett has signed a one year contract with the Gold Coast, which will see him play for the team in the VFL next season.

http://www.sportsentral.com/pro/main/storyreader.aspx?sid=19363&sr=all

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86635/default.aspx
“My aim is to play AFL again so hopefully I can use this as a bit of a stepping stone and play some good footy as well as getting myself fit.”

Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna said he held no reservations about the once reluctant footballer's drive to make a comeback to the elite level.

“I have had two or three chats and he has said all the right things. He has put his hand up so he has 12 months to prove himself if he wants to be part of the club in 2011," McKenna said

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86635/default.aspx

Will Nathan Ablett play AFL at senior level again, if so, who'd be willing to pick him up?

You'll forgive our cynicism regarding his motives. All the best to him, but by the same token good luck GC, because Nathan's attitude to the game is fickle to say the least

Perhaps in a different environment he may prosper.

It is possible the pressure cooker environment of being an Ablett at Geelong did not suit him, particularly as he was more immature than his brother in terms of being ready for the AFL.

Greg Chappell prospered after moving out of his brothers shadow and moved to Queensland too.

It is possible the pressure cooker environment of being an Ablett at Geelong did not suit him, particularly as he was more immature than his brother in terms of being ready for the AFL.

Greg Chappell prospered after moving out of his brothers shadow and moved to Queensland too.

You raise good points. Hopefully if he gets away from that environment he can 'shine' like Luke Ablett:rolleyes:.

Yeah would love to see Nathan tear it up. But a 1 year contract to play VFL is hardly a huge comeback. He hasn't really committed to much if you look at it. I think GC are dreaming if they think they can lure Gary up there. But I suppose you can't blame them for trying.

One year is enough as the economy should pick up a fair bit in 12 months and he can go back to building houses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just veiled attempt by the GC to lure junior, N. Ablett didnt show much at Geelong, fact is if his last name wasnt Ablett he possibly wouldnt have played a game, i dont rate him very highly, no way near junior anyway.

just veiled attempt by the GC to lure junior, N. Ablett didnt show much at Geelong, fact is if his last name wasnt Ablett he possibly wouldnt have played a game, i dont rate him very highly, no way near junior anyway.
I think he'll do quite well. Mate of mine has the Geelong 2007 season highlights, and Nathan moved really well, with quite a bit of game sense about him.

Keeping in mind that during the 2007 season he was the ripe old age of 21

can someone tell me why he quit football? :confused:

Doesn't like the media/public attention,so it's an odd move to join a club that's starting up and at the moment he's the only player who has played AFL so there will be a lot of attention on him.

Jon Anderson will be racking up the frequent flyer points stalking NA in QLD.

You guys aren't going to take this very well are you.

Nathan finding the passion and kick starting his career - I can live with
GC's ulterior motivation - I despise.

Anything is possible. Nathan is 2 years older. But we are talking about the guy who pulled out of the Cats squad 30 seconds before the team ran out in Round 2, 2007 because he got stage fright.

That, and that alone is the reason. Didn't wanna put in the hard yards on the track..

Other reasons people throwing around like Media attention/Religion are wrong.

If Gold Coast can get him motivated to a level where he needs to be good on 'em.

I just don't think Geelong were willing to make exceptions for Nath like they did his old man, ie lighter training because he cbf'd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Ablett joins Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back