Nathan Ablett joins Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

If you had already won two premierships and were getting offered 1.4 million a year, as if you wouldn't take it.

Can Gary pay for his children's education with loyalty?
Any chance the bank will allow him to repay his mortgage with good will?

No, but he can pay for his children's education using the $500-600k a year he would get by staying at Geelong - not to mention the additional sponsorships and endorsements he can line up.

There's no doubt Ablett would get more moving to the GC than he would staying at Geelong but to suggest that he wouldn't be able to afford for his children to go to the best school in Victoria regardless is laughable.

There's already some very cynical Geelong supporters on this thread, and i'm sure there will be plenty more to come.

I'm not one of them, I hope he dominates for them :thumbsu:

They would have a fair reason to be cynical I would think. Once bitten...

BTW, they can be cynical (ie doubt him) but still wish the best for him.

Nablett, gifted as all hell but no ticker....remember he didnt want the training routine of an AFL player, 5 days a week, team meeting, dicipline, he wants to have fun.

Nablett gave up a high profile professional sporting career in which he would have earned hundreds of thousands of dollars every year, had as many women as he knew what to do with, people recognising him on the street, etc, etc, etc, to become a bricklayer in sweltering hot Queensland.

Yep, he was really chasing the fun, that boy! :rolleyes:

If you had already won two premierships and were getting offered 1.4 million a year, as if you wouldn't take it.

Can Gary pay for his children's education with loyalty? Any chance the bank will allow him to repay his mortgage with good will?

C'ya later Geelong, hello kick arse house on the Gold Coast and early retirement for me thanks.

That may be the mentality at Collingwood, but I don't think so with the current squad at Geelong.

Ablett could be paid $2 million a season by Geelong in 2-3 years when he's eligible for the veterens list. So he would end up earning more money by the end of his career staying with Geelong, than he would at the Gold Cost. Also I wouldn't be suprised if Costa had a lucrative offer set up for Gary post footy.

Ablett could be paid $2 million a season by Geelong in 2-3 years when he's eligible for the veterens list. So he would end up earning more money by the end of his career staying with Geelong, than he would at the Gold Cost. Also I wouldn't be suprised if Costa had a lucrative offer set up for Gary post footy.

A player may be put on the veterans list if they are over the age of 30 and have played for 10 seasons at the club. Gary is only 25. That is another five years. I doubt Geelong would offer anyone (including God himself) a contract for more than five years. Imagine if you signed up a bloke for 7 seasons for $10 million and he suffered a career ending injury or illness! The financial ramifications, including the salary cap are to significant a risk.

The veterans list is another contract away.

Some Cat fans should seriously question themselves on this thread. I believe Nathan is a Geelong premiership player. Show some respect. If he can't handle life in the Geelong fishbowl give him all the best and let him move on. Poor kid has grown up probably having a hard enough time as it is. Sesssh some people.

Just my own observation is that Gary snr never came across as loyal person to Geelong. Played for himself basically, its widely known he didn't have much contact with his teammates. If big $$ are being offered to Gary jnr and Nathan don't Cat fans don't think for one minute that a move north won't be discussed over Christmas day dinner this year. Hinkley up north, Mooney to follow soon, Nathan. Interesting times ahead. I think Geelong needs to keep Ablett jnr besides its best player but biggest marketing tool. Could be bigger than Barassi to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Ablett joins Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back