Nathan Ablett joins Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

i hope he goes well and actually respect him for leaving the club in '08 when his heart wasn't in it - a lot of people would of stuck it out, given 1/2 hearted efforts, etc. he made a decision and kept to it. the fact he's looking to get back into AFL now is great and i wish him all the best. if he starts firing i'll even make the trip down the highway to watch. BUT ffs leave gary out of it!

I think some people are forgetting gary senior quit AFL football 3 times during his career. And we all know how good his old man was.

He left Hawthorn and went home for 2 yrs before getting signed to geelong in 1984. Then he quit again, for real this time, announced retirement and everything at the start of the 1991 season after a good year in 1990. He came back half way through the 91 season and basically cost geelong a grand final opportunity due to lack of training and match time. And retiring finally in 1996 as one of the best players ever.

I think Nathan and Gary senior are pretty similar, both seem to be a bit funny in the head, and nathan having second thoughts about retiring sounds like dejavu

Kicked 35 odd goals in our premiership year, as a 21yo KPP who had played 11 games before 2007. Look at all the muppets saying he was no good because his name is Ablett, just like they were about Gary a few years ago.

He still gets a game simply because of his name doesn't he ? ;)
Nathan's ability isn't the problem,it's his motivation.I guess if GC throw a heap of money at him then he can get motivated.....for a few months.

Kicked 35 odd goals in our premiership year, as a 21yo KPP who had played 11 games before 2007. Look at all the muppets saying he was no good because his name is Ablett, just like they were about Gary a few years ago.
+1

The kid has talent. If GC17 can help him realise and fulfil his potential, props to them...

I agree. Finally someone is speaking some sense on this thread.

He showed promise, and performances were adequate in 2007. He was 21 years of age, a KPP (which everyone knows takes a couple of years longer to develop) with only 20 odd games under the belt. He also had the burden of his father's and brother's reputation. His father developed late as a footballer. Maybe he will do the same (although I am not saying that he will replicate his father's form - that is very doubtful - but he may developed into a decent footballer).

He is worth the punt for the GCFC. They have not committed beyond match payments for VFL games next year. He will add a mature body to their list with some experience for next years VFL games.

If he performs well and is committed, then GCFC will be in a position to capitalise by signing him to their list for their inaugral season. If he does not perform well or is simply not committed, no big loss - just a couple of modest match payments down the drain.

You can not deny that there is an added bonus for the GCFC. Nathan is the wildcard to lure GA Jnr. I doubt this would hold any great weight - GA Jnr has already played in a premiership with his brother - that is the ultimate high. Who knows? I don't pretend to know the Abletts or what they are thinking?????:confused::confused:

Perhaps in a different environment he may prosper.

It is possible the pressure cooker environment of being an Ablett at Geelong did not suit him, particularly as he was more immature than his brother in terms of being ready for the AFL.

Greg Chappell prospered after moving out of his brothers shadow and moved to Queensland too.

A different environment such as Broadbeach QLD? come on, he was in the best place to play, in a state that largely doesn't care about what his surname is. Not to mention that the Geelong = pressure cooker angle gets overplayed immensely. Gary lives in Torquay, and apparently doesn't get much of that OMG IT'S ABLETT business people seem to think he gets. Nathan was very well shielded from the press by the club, and it wouldn't have been too difficult for him to be set up out of town like Gary.

A different environment such as Broadbeach QLD? come on, he was in the best place to play, in a state that largely doesn't care about what his surname is. Not to mention that the Geelong = pressure cooker angle gets overplayed immensely. Gary lives in Torquay, and apparently doesn't get much of that OMG IT'S ABLETT business people seem to think he gets. Nathan was very well shielded from the press by the club, and it wouldn't have been too difficult for him to be set up out of town like Gary.

Perhaps you might think above your theroy and think the pressure on Nathan was coming from within, his own expectations and fear from what he saw around him, what he grew up with and the expectation that he felt people had of him to deliver. It may have in fact being perceived, it doesn't mean he wasn't feeling it.

If he's more settled elsewhere than 2 years ago good for him, it's no slight on Geelong or Nathan but sometimes things just don't work for certain people in certain places.

Change of environment could well be just what he needs.

The pressure on anyone with the surname Ablett at the Geelong footy club would be absolutely immense and I for one feel he will benefit from getting away from that.

He's also had a couple of years to mature and may be in a better head space to commit himself to AFL level footy.

Good signing by the GC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a bizarre young lad Nathan is.

I really don’t see why they are pursuing him other than as barely veiled bait for Gary. It is a disturbing development, whatever way you look at from Geelong’s perspective.

Gary will definitely leave to Gold Coast at some point in his career. Whether that is Gary's next contract or the one after is anyone's guess.

Gary will definitely leave to Gold Coast at some point in his career. Whether that is Gary's next contract or the one after is anyone's guess.
i disagree, i think he"s a pretty loyal kind of bloke, he definantly wont go knowing Geelong will get very little for him in return, he"s paid well enough and is at the club he grew up loving.

Its Geelongs great cunning Plan...Get Nathan Fit and ready for Footy again on 2010 in the VFL, then grab him with the Father Son rule again....he is eligible as there is not rule saying you cant get the same bloke twice.....

No way. He either leaves at the end of next year or never. If he signs on again at Geelong, the next time it is up we will be able to pay him the big $$$ because most of the other high earners will be retired and off the books.

If you had already won two premierships and were getting offered 1.4 million a year, as if you wouldn't take it.

Can Gary pay for his children's education with loyalty? Any chance the bank will allow him to repay his mortgage with good will?

C'ya later Geelong, hello kick arse house on the Gold Coast and early retirement for me thanks.

lol, the AFL would go nuts.

So would I

GC can have him. He will be 25 ish by the time he plays Senior AFL again (if at all) 3 full years away from the game is 3 too many.

I never thought I would say this but I would rather Shannon Byrnes before Nathan Ablett.

WHY?

Byrnes is not gifted with talent and both he and Max Rooke came off the Rookie list to play in two Premierships because they busted a gut to get everything out of themselves to stay in the side. Nablett, gifted as all hell but no ticker....remember he didnt want the training routine of an AFL player, 5 days a week, team meeting, dicipline, he wants to have fun.

What a bizarre young lad Nathan is.

I really don’t see why they are pursuing him other than as barely veiled bait for Gary. It is a disturbing development, whatever way you look at from Geelong’s perspective.

There are some odd posts from Geelong supporters here, I sense a bit of bitterness.

Pretty sure the GC are pursuing him because a) he has played AFL before and performed as a KPP at the highest level. Anyone who thinks he does not have serious talent (and questionable motivation) does not watch football.

b) he lives in Queensland

c) they have the opportunity to grab him for nearly nothing

Good luck to them and him, he is entitled to do what he likes. Was an important part of our 2007 flag and wish him all the best.

No matter what we want he ain't coming back to Geelong.

So would I

GC can have him. He will be 25 ish by the time he plays Senior AFL again (if at all) 3 full years away from the game is 3 too many.

I never thought I would say this but I would rather Shannon Byrnes before Nathan Ablett.

WHY?

Byrnes is not gifted with talent and both he and Max Rooke came off the Rookie list to play in two Premierships because they busted a gut to get everything out of themselves to stay in the side. Nablett, gifted as all hell but no ticker....remember he didnt want the training routine of an AFL player, 5 days a week, team meeting, dicipline, he wants to have fun.

he was never going to anywhere near as good as good old dad, i know a few people who watched dad playing for myrtleford and say they"ve never seen nothing like him, allmost won them a flag off his own boot, ovens and murray footballs a pretty strong league as well, as strong as any metro comp anyway.

There are some odd posts from Geelong supporters here, I sense a bit of bitterness.

Pretty sure the GC are pursuing him because a) he has played AFL before and performed as a KPP at the highest level. Anyone who thinks he does not have serious talent (and questionable motivation) does not watch football.

b) he lives in Queensland

c) they have the opportunity to grab him for nearly nothing

Good luck to them and him, he is entitled to do what he likes. Was an important part of our 2007 flag and wish him all the best.

No matter what we want he ain't coming back to Geelong.

I am not in the slightest bit bitter about Nathan. He provided some great moments in his short time as a cat player and obviously his family connection makes him a much loved part of the history.

Just saying he is a strange person, his behaviour is erratic, I can’t think of a player who has a had a more bizarre career in modern times (remember he came back to us in 08 as well). I really don’t think he’ll ever play good football again – he only touched on it at Geelong for the barest of moments.

The concern for me is, Gold Coast seem desperate to land Gary and that has consequences, if not Gary leaving than perhaps another player, if we have to raise his salary significantly.

Given the good fortune that has touched Geelong in the last 3 years, bitter is one thing I am not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Ablett joins Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back