shuveradda

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2004
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Hello everyone, its been a long time since posting here, and today looking at the thread about the Western jets got me thinking about this

Where are people rating Nathan Black, i have watched a few games of Tac cup this year and have been impressed by this kid. He has been injured alot this season and hasn't had the same impact as expected, but still almost managed to make vic metro.

He is an inside/outside "midfielder" at tac cup level with solid skills and good decision making abillities. The reason i said "midfielder" is because at AFL level he projects to be more of a HFF/swap midfield type. Things he'd need to improve on would be endurance to become even a second string on ball player for a side and also abit more poisde, although his decision making is good he sometimes seems to be rushed and just bang the ball on his boot instead of hitting a target 30 metres away.

I can see him bulking up and becoming a nuggety inside midfielder with acceptable pace and good hand skills to get clearances. He may be appealing to a side needing an inside midfielder eg. pies, would be a good late round or rookie pick in my view

I had this kid going in the draft this year, atleast rookied, but there has been little to no talk about him on these boards all year and i want to see where some of the pundits on here rate him... Thanks

Had a very big reputation coming into the TAC Under 18's.

Certainly lost ground in the last two years, best that could be said for him is that he is a nice midfield size player.

Only a very rough chance to be rookie listed.

No thats fair enough then, i just wanted to hear some feedback

he was very highly rated at U/16 level and was in best 2/3 vic metro games that year.

answering someones question from before no, iam not him lol

just another quick thing overated said he was undersized.. i don't see 182 cm's as underzised?

He has a very, very good attack on the footy and strong in one-on-one contests. I think it is particularly harsh to say he has 'gone backwards' - his game, particularly his decision making, have improved enormously. Anyone who watched him in the Vic Metro trial in 2006 (where he was roundly nominated on this site as bog but criticised by the coaches) to his performances this year would have to acknowledge that.

He has also shown an ability to play as a shut down defender (just ask Ben Considine or Tom Rockliff) as well as in the forward line - a one dimensional midfielder he isn't.

The issue with Nathan is that aside from his incredible attack on the ball, he does not possess anything that really sets him apart - though you could argue he has elite kicking skills. His speed and endurance in particular are only 'middle of the road'.

Based on his performances this year, I would have expected at least a state screening invite, but it was not to be...therefore, I would think it unlikely he will be on an AFL list in any form next year.

Thanks for that MJP i have been waiting for someone to say something constructive

Do you think Recruiters have forgotten about him, or has he just been surpassed by most?

Very good summary on his playing aswell,great attack on the ball, which means sometimes he is injured alot

Recruiters don't forget about anyone.

Personally, I think the criticism of his decision making during 2006 has led to a large red line being put through his name...I think it has improved, but what I think and what others might think are two different things...

Remember, it doesn't matter what the subject is, if someone says something enough times then it must be true!

A talent whose body has probably let him down with a few injuries across the past 18 months, it hasnt allowed him to blossom into the player many felt he might back during 2005 and 2006, or helped his speed or given him the opportunity to play in the midfield for long periods of the game. A good shut down defender on players who rely on strength, but can get caught out on quicker blokes and on the quick rebound as he tends to enjoy running off his man to accumulate possessions.

He has a very, very good attack on the footy and strong in one-on-one contests. I think it is particularly harsh to say he has 'gone backwards' - his game, particularly his decision making, have improved enormously. Anyone who watched him in the Vic Metro trial in 2006 (where he was roundly nominated on this site as bog but criticised by the coaches) to his performances this year would have to acknowledge that.

He has also shown an ability to play as a shut down defender (just ask Ben Considine or Tom Rockliff) as well as in the forward line - a one dimensional midfielder he isn't.

The issue with Nathan is that aside from his incredible attack on the ball, he does not possess anything that really sets him apart - though you could argue he has elite kicking skills. His speed and endurance in particular are only 'middle of the road'.

Based on his performances this year, I would have expected at least a state screening invite, but it was not to be...therefore, I would think it unlikely he will be on an AFL list in any form next year.

I didn't say his football had gone backwards, I said he had lost ground in the last two years. Meaning if the draft was for U/16s two years ago he would have been right in the mix. Now there are a number of mid size players in front of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Black - Western Jets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back