Recommitted Nathan Broad [signs 2 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think he'd be a huge loss where Richmond is at the moment.

In saying that Richmond would want to probably keep him for the right price but he only has couple of years left in him given the age factor. It's a weird one because he is probably playing better football than Grimes & Vlastuin who play a similar role, Broad has more running power though.

Would like the Dees to have a crack as a Hibberd replacement while the window is still open. Doubt we have much coin to throw around though, unless someone takes McDonald and/or Tomlinson.

Would like the Dees to have a crack as a Hibberd replacement while the window is still open. Doubt we have much coin to throw around though, unless someone takes McDonald and/or Tomlinson.
It'd be go home to WA or stay at Richmond I'd say. The only lure dees have would be a flag and he already has 3 of them so I seriously doubt he'd move there.

Would be an unusual move for west coast given where they sit and the profile of the players they have but I thought the same about Hunt and he’s been a great addition so far.

He ticks a lot of good boxes though.
Not injured. Check
Consistent performer. Check
Strong defensively, Can play tall or small. Check
Won’t cost the world to obtain or salary cap. Check

We need talent on our list and he’s a proven performer. Even if it’s only 3 years we might get from him, I think it will suit both parties, especially for us if he can help with some leadership in rebuilding our training standards.

Would be an unusual move for west coast given where they sit and the profile of the players they have but I thought the same about Hunt and he’s been a great addition so far.

Not injured. Check

We need talent on our list and he’s a proven performer. Even if it’s only 3 years we might get from him, I think it will suit both parties, especially for us if he can help with some leadership in rebuilding our training standards.
He'd have to consider a 3 year deal if eagles offered one. Just turned 30, I can't see us offering more than 2.

He'd have to consider a 3 year deal if eagles offered one. Just turned 30, I can't see us offering more than 2.
Also given your supposed interest in Himmelberg I imagine his kind of contract might help free up a little bit of extra coin.

WA players over 30 are a risk to offer multiple years given the travel they do but he’s played all his footy over in Vic you’d think he would get to 33/34 okay.

Not injured. Check

The only way it makes sense is if a Duggan or Cole are traded. Maybe Witherden or Rotham moves on.

Then the plan is Broad helps cover the loss of these younger experienced defenders and provides mentoring to the kids being drafted and in their first 50 games.

Also given your supposed interest in Himmelberg I imagine his kind of contract might help free up a little bit of extra coin.

WA players over 30 are a risk to offer multiple years given the travel they do but he’s played all his footy over in Vic you’d think he would get to 33/34 okay.
Yeah although Riewoldt, Cotchin, Dusty, Grimes and probably Prestia will all be gone within 2 years and Lynch's mega deal will be over so I can't see Broad hanging around affect chasing Himmelberg too much.

Broad was a late starter too so his body might hold up a few extra years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

balta, grimes and young all signed
but broad still out of contract and you'd imagine would have been the second priority out of the above
Not necessarily. Think number of years could be the driver. Balta probably just wants to get to free agency, Young would be an easy one as reward for his start to the year and surely Grimes is an easy 1 year to likely retire after.

Richmond will need to offer Nathan Broad a three-year contract on a salary of up to $500,000 to keep the underrated unrestricted free agent.
The Tigers have been working on other list priorities before considering his contract, with coach Damien Hardwick admitting his brilliant game on Jeremy Cameron had lifted his price tag.

Broad has long taken less to keep the Richmond list together but at a Richmond team that knows Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin will retire this year it might be his time to cash in.

Robbie Tarrant has a degenerative hip issue which means at 34 this is more than likely his last season too.
Richmond plans to start contract talks in round 11 with Broad, who at this stage is keen to stay at the club as he and wife Tayla Damir await the birth of their first child.

But as one of the best unrestricted free agents on the market he now has significant leverage even in a year where he has turned 30.

His manager Colin Young famously pushes a hard bargain for his clients and would be able to secure a three-year deal on more than $500,000 for Broad if he left.

Despite speculation West Coast would be interested in Broad he hasn’t engaged in talks with rival teams.

But if his contract position drifts on rival clubs will come to the party so it will be up to Richmond to get that deal done mid-year.

He is younger than his age suggest he got a late start in the AFL got knocked back in some drafts, he would be relatively fresh for his age.

Don’t have access to the article but if Paddy Dow is garnering interest from any AFL clubs, the journo has just lost all credibility.

I am on the outer on the Carlton board for saying Paddy Dow is not AFL standard and should not playing in the Seniors again for our club, many however are deluded enough to disagree and think he potentially could be another Bob Skilton (lol)

I am on the outer on the Carlton board for saying Paddy Dow is not AFL standard and should not playing in the Seniors again for our club, many however are deluded enough to disagree and think he potentially could be another Bob Skilton (lol)
I’ve been a fan of Dow finding another home in the last couple of years as I think he had a couple of elite traits, but with him staying at the Blues I haven’t seen improvement.

If he was pick 40 in the 2018 draft I think he would have been punted by now. Unfortunately some at Carlton keep players hoping to see the upside that never eventuates.

In saying that I think his ceiling could hit Setterfield (Essendon version) at another club. But that’s best case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Nathan Broad [signs 2 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back