Nathan Brown - what will you give us doggies

Remove this Banner Ad

lil elvis

Rookie
Sep 13, 2003
Other Teams
Bulldogs
given that he is about to join your club - what will you give us doggies

and no we dont want richo (tantrums) holland (old body) ottens (bad back) or some other no hoper -

coughlan would be a start

Originally posted by lil elvis

and no we dont want richo (tantrums) holland (old body) ottens (bad back) or some other no hoper -

Yeah good one.....

Sure reckon Chris Grant is happy you dont want another tall. Build a premiership side around small players huh? Well thought out. Brown for Coughlan. See ya mate.::D :D :D

By the way, Ottens is an outright champion. Probably better than Chris Grant IMO.

Re: Re: Nathan Brown - what will you give us doggies

Originally posted by BalmyArmy
By the way, Ottens is an outright champion. Probably better than Chris Grant IMO.

Geez can you back up stats with that

B&F
Brownlow votes
Goals kicked
Ability to play at both ends of the grounds
All Australian
Amount of games played
Born leader

But to top it off "He is a good bloke"

You probably think David Bourke is worthy of an All Australian and Brownlow gig as well.

But to the point

If you gave up "SECOND" draft choice in one of the strongest drafts in recent times, for a good servicable player like Johnson do you really think we would take number "six" choice in a weak draft, for a quality player like Brown

I dont think thats going to happen

I have a seen a few tiges games this year and I reckon Rogers could be good for us.

Richmond struggle with pace so maybe a Gilbee or Gross for Rogers would do me.

Originally posted by BalmyArmy

Grant is way ahead of Ottens mate. Ottens has plenty of potential but he has a long long way to go if he wants to be as good as what Grant has been over a number of years.

Re: Re: Re: Nathan Brown - what will you give us doggies

Originally posted by kretchy
Grant is way ahead of Ottens mate. Ottens has plenty of potential but he has a long long way to go if he wants to be as good as what Grant has been over a number of years.

Yeah, but living in the past isn't going to help now. Grant has been a better player, agreed, but at this current moment, I would prefer ottens over Grant. He's younger, more likely to be influencial than Grant, who let's admit, has his best years behind him. So IMO, I would prefer Ottens by a country mile.

In regards to Rogers, Gnome, yeah he's been servicable to the club, but if you think he;s the sort of player you need, then you have rocks in your head. he's at the end of his career, and slowing down by the week. You want him, you can have him. Please.....

Elvis, after last nights Brownlow, there isn't a player on the Dogs list who would rate against the likes of Coghlan - if you think Brown comes close you're dreamimg

Either that or you could get nothing for him and someone can snaffle him in the Pre-season draft

I think Bowden + Holland would be a pretty handy trade for Brown

I'd want at least brown & murphy for coughlan the boy is an absolute star and the only reason Greg Beck our recruiting manager is currently employed

How about: (Hall and bowden) for Brown and 4th round draft pick?

Or alternatively Richo and Hall for brown and a mid range draft pick (3rd round maybe?)

Originally posted by Gnome Murphy

I have a seen a few tiges games this year and I reckon Rogers could be good for us.

Richmond struggle with pace so maybe a Gilbee or Gross for Rogers would do me.

Straight swap for gilbee? I'd be happy with that.

Taking it as given that Ottens, Coughlan and probably Johnson are all untouchable, what do you think a fair trade would be?

IMV, Bowden hasn't come close to realising his potential at Richmond - should be Top 10 in the competition; isn't even in our Top 10 at the moment. Maybe a change of scenery will help.

No secret that you are a bit short down back, especially with the retirement of Kretiuk. We could also throw Ray Hall into this mix. As I mentioned on the Doggies board, Hall is a senior regular and his absence through the last 3rd of the season was a key reason to our poor performance (behind of course missing Gaspar and Campbell).

So Bowden and Hall in a straight swap for Brown

Originally posted by CJH

Bowden and Hall in a straight swap for Brown

The major problem with our list is a total lack of depth. Giving up 2 players for only 1 in return does not help us out in that regard.

On Nathan Brown: he turns 26 in feb. By the time we rebuild our list, which will at least take a couple of years of clever trading/drafting (not something we're famous for), we will get very little benefit out of him.

IMV long term we need to go for youth. This need to recruit senior players just lends to the impression that as a Club we have no faith in our own ability to draft wisely and then develop enough of these young players to the standard required for AFL footy.

Originally posted by mighty tiges

IMV long term we need to go for youth. This need to recruit senior players just lends to the impression that as a Club we have no faith in our own ability to draft wisely and then develop enough of these young players to the standard required for AFL footy.

It would seem to be a contradiction that the club would be willing to chase Brown, who from many reports is asking for 500k a year but not invest ($$) into the devolpment of prospective draftee's.

The club seems fixated on the option of picking up established players in the hope of bringing some success in the short term but mortgaging the long term prospects by trading away early draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nathan Brown - what will you give us doggies

Originally posted by mellowyellow
It would seem to be a contradiction that the club would be willing to chase Brown, who from many reports is asking for 500k a year but not invest ($$) into the devolpment of prospective draftee's.

Agree MY, the Club's stance does appear to be contradictory. The problem maybe sadly we as a Club or moreso those within the Club responsible for development don't know how to sufficiently develop young players no matter how much $$$ is put towards development. The top coaches always seem to be strong in this area. Just look at Sheedy.

The club seems fixated on the option of picking up established players in the hope of bringing some success in the short term but mortgaging the long term prospects by trading away early draft picks.

Which always means we end up in no-man's land = 9-13th. Never good enough to make more than one finals appearance every 6 years but also never bad enough to force a change in attitude and policy to rebuild the list and gain a number of high first round draft picks.

I'd only look at Ottens (OK, you've taken him out of the mix), or Richo. Even then I'd be asking for a further draft pick and/or a deal which would see the Tiges paying some of his contract. Let's face it, his best footy is behind him.;)

No, I wouldn't even consider Hall, Bowden, Holland or any of the others. There'd be a dozen others I'd be chasing ahead of this lot. Why would we want players like Bowden, who by all accounts is top of the list of tradeable players at Tiger Land? Not popular with many Tigers fans - we don't want him either.

Sorry, no deal.

Originally posted by CJH
Taking it as given that Ottens, Coughlan and probably Johnson are all untouchable, what do you think a fair trade would be?

IMV, Bowden hasn't come close to realising his potential at Richmond - should be Top 10 in the competition; isn't even in our Top 10 at the moment. Maybe a change of scenery will help.

No secret that you are a bit short down back, especially with the retirement of Kretiuk. We could also throw Ray Hall into this mix. As I mentioned on the Doggies board, Hall is a senior regular and his absence through the last 3rd of the season was a key reason to our poor performance (behind of course missing Gaspar and Campbell).

So Bowden and Hall in a straight swap for Brown

Have to disagree with this one - he's a bit like Richo - had the potential to be a champion but, to me, he has not delivered the goods in a consistent fashion that champions tend to do.

Has had good periods, but not enough in my book to be branded an outright champion.

Coming up to his 7th season at the club - he has not delivered half what Chris Grant did for the Doggies IMHO.

But I'm free to be bagged on this and welcome your thoughts - especially you Diggles - come on, stand by your man and tell us what ya think.

OK, my honest opinion. Ottens is a top 10 player, but with his injury concerns (shoulder), there is the question as to how long he will last in the ruck, for instance.

Granted, Chris is past his best, but not much below it; he was set to burn at the start of the year, with extremely pleasing results in fitness tests. His general fitness over the years has never been in question, and it may be that the knee injury, IF he fully recovers from it, may actually allow his body to have a rest and come good.

Comparing Grant to, say, Carey, who had a year off, isn't the same. Carey was injury-prone and never looked more than a 2-year prospect on return. Grant will play 1-2 more years in a key position, and then use his body strength to finish off with another 1-2 years at full-forward. Mark my words.

Now, comparing Grant and Richo, both great footballers, but I would say that Granty will have more good years in him than Richo, and perhaps even Ottens (big call, I know). I'd love Richo at the Dogs, but not at great cost (his contract would kill us).

Keep Ottens and Richo if you can, they are true Tigers. It would be a pity to see a great clubman like Richo leave after all this service.

Cheers.

Originally posted by bulldogs1
OK, my honest opinion. Ottens is a top 10 player, but with his injury concerns (shoulder), there is the question as to how long he will last in the ruck, for instance.

Ottens doesn't have any injury worries with his shoulder. Only his back which he had an operation on before the season started.

I can PROMISE one thing. With Miller running our football department and Rhode running yours we will win..

My tip is you will get Clinton King and Kayne Pettifer for Brown....

Be thankful Nick Daffy is not still playing for us

i reckon we give you these duds
- Craig Biddiscombe
- Marc Dragicevic
- Rory hilton
- Adam holihan
- Clinto King
- Kayne pettifer
- Bill Nicholls
- Mathew Rogers
- Daniel Sipthorp
- Royce Vardy