Player Watch Nathan Kreuger

Remove this Banner Ad

Now mihocek (who was out of sorts even before the injury, couldn't compete or get to any contests) is out for the year, this man becomes important. At least he busts his ass to compete when outnumbered. Mcstay will be at least 3 weeks away you'd think (Half of a vfl game this week, maybe a full one the week after then into the seniors).

Our ball movement is so bad at the moment any forward would struggle.

Cameron has been playing over 80% and hasn't been resting forward, so I'm not sure why you think he can't ruck 80%.

Goals from centre or even clearances from centre are rarely entirely down to the ruck. You've lost a hitout, been beaten at ground level and then beaten up forward. You could probably just work out a different set up to nullify ruck dominance.

I'll be surprised if Krueger is smart enough to get back into defence as well as Cox, ditto Frampton, McStay probably would be able to.

So agree that Cox is likely to offer a heap more in the ruck contests and in terms of dropping back into defence, as well as a pack target up forward. Don't agree that you'd be looking at a 50/50 split with Cameron though. Who I think has gone well above him in that role.
It took Darcy a few years to build that part of his game.
Think for a 12-game career and 4 games this year we can't assume Kreugs couldn't do similar, especially since he can play the rest of the year and get a full pre-season in.

Sent from my SM-A556E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Now mihocek (who was out of sorts even before the injury, couldn't compete or get to any contests) is out for the year, this man becomes important. At least he busts his ass to compete when outnumbered. Mcstay will be at least 3 weeks away you'd think (Half of a vfl game this week, maybe a full one the week after then into the seniors).

Our ball movement is so bad at the moment any forward would struggle.
True, we have a real opportunity now if Dan comes back to have a completely new look forward line.
If Reef or Ash could find some form we would have a three Roger fast, mobile looking F50.
And any luck we get either of Elliott or McCreery back and all of a sudden we look potent.

Hopefully we can get a run of 3+ weeks with limited changes to build some connection leading into a hopeful 6-8 position.

Sent from my SM-A556E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Freddy's effort is outstanding, but he has some glaring deficiencies. Beggars can't be choosers, but I've said before his lack of ability above his head is glaring. It seems he is incapable of raising his hands above his head and taking an overhead mark. It's chest or nothing. There was a moment in the second quarter when he was in the box seat to take a grab and he went at it in this most peculiar manner, trying to take it at chest height and muffed it. I've seen players with concrete hands (Chris Dawes had a season with that problem) but never a player who cannot take a grab overhead on his own let alone in a contest.

He was very competitive in attempting to bring the ball to the ground and his left foot is a thing of beauty when he wheels and lets fly- but the overhead marking is truly a problem and a very strange one for an AFL player of his size.

I think Freddy's effort is outstanding, but he has some glaring deficiencies. Beggars can't be choosers, but I've said before his lack of ability above his head is glaring. It seems he is incapable of raising his hands above his head and taking an overhead mark. It's chest or nothing. There was a moment in the second quarter when he was in the box seat to take a grab and he went at it in this most peculiar manner, trying to take it at chest height and muffed it. I've seen players with concrete hands (Chris Dawes had a season with that problem) but never a player who cannot take a grab overhead on his own let alone in a contest.

He was very competitive in attempting to bring the ball to the ground and his left foot is a thing of beauty when he wheels and lets fly- but the overhead marking is truly a problem and a very strange one for an AFL player of his size.

Agree, the desire to mark everything in his chest really stood out last night.

Very limiting.

With him in the forward line and Frampton in the backline the future looks bleak.

yes that is correct observation. Is it lack of confidence in his shoulders and raising his arms or has he always been poor overhead? i cant ever recall him taking an overhead mark.

His 14th senior game, he continues to show he's got something worth persisting with. Even his performance in the ruck was better but the caveat remains the quality of the Cats ruck contingent. Tougher assignment this week against the Hawks. They'll either go with Meek or Reeves you'd think and throw someone in to support whichever they play.

His 14th senior game, he continues to show he's got something worth persisting with. Even his performance in the ruck was better but the caveat remains the quality of the Cats ruck contingent. Tougher assignment this week against the Hawks. They'll either go with Meek or Reeves you'd think and throw someone in to support whichever they play.

I keep needing reminding that Krueg’s played so few games. He’s a funny footballer - as in I can’t quite get a handle on him - although he doesn’t hold back. Still not seeing much in the way of forward craft, but desperate times call for desperate measures when selecting the weekly side.

Player Watch Nathan Kreuger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back