Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Wilson has more to offer than Murphy. I would like to see him get more opportunity and particularly a decent block of VFL first.
He's got a side step and can create space at least. Both lack pace though, go to ground a lot and take an eternity to get up.

How can we be hard against the cap with this list? Thanks Ned you total *******.
I'd rather leave the list spot open & get somebody mid year as a rookie.
There just is absolutely nothing there. We all know it & I suspect the club does now as well.

Not sure how that would work. I'd have thought he gets paid so he's effectively on our list anyway in much the same way as Gibbs at the Crows this year. Hard to fill his spot if he is.

Not sure how that would work. I'd have thought he gets paid so he's effectively on our list anyway in much the same way as Gibbs at the Crows this year. Hard to fill his spot if he is.
You can delist and payout. The salary counts towards cap, but there is an available list spot. We never do it though and I really doubt that they'd do it with such a whole hearted kid who appears really popular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll be the local PE teacher, captain of both the footy team and the cricket team. Play footy till he's 40. Cricket to he's 50. He'll play golf off 2 and briefly hold the course record. He's a legend waiting to happen - just not in the AFL

and throughout it all, he will continue to fall over at the merest provocation.

He'll be the local PE teacher, captain of both the footy team and the cricket team. Play footy till he's 40. Cricket to he's 50. He'll play golf off 2 and briefly hold the course record. He's a legend waiting to happen - just not in the AFL
Speaking of PE staff. Footscray Tech in the mid 80s had the great PE combination of just retired Bulldog's captain Geoff Jennings as HOD and Australian basket player and Olympic Women's and national coach Ray Tomlinson. As permanent emergency teacher there for 2 years, I collected sports equipment from them several times a day, as very few other than regular teachers were actually game enough to take extras classes into a room. Fantastic blokes who'd readily hand a footy or cricket set over to you and advise the best relatively secluded spot to take the kids to avoid public exposure and damage.

Last edited:
Speaking of PE staff. Footscray Tech in the mid 80s had the great PE combination of just retired Bulldog's captain Geoff Jennings as HOD and Australian basket player and Olympic Women's and national coach Ray Tomlinson. As permanent emergency teacher there for 2 years, I collected sports equipment from them several times a day, as very few other than regular teachers were actually game enough to take extras classes into a room. Fantastic blokes who'd readily hand a footy or cricket set over to you and advise the best relatively secluded spot to take the kids to avoid public exposure and damage.

so you're taking kids to a secluded spot to avoid damage?

Good on him for getting an education. 👍
Plenty of players do a qualification these days. Essendon Football Club and Swinburne worked together 10 years back to get as many players as possible involved in courses and made doing them as easy a task as possible. There has long been an emphasis in clubs on life after football.

Plenty of players do a qualification these days. Essendon Football Club and Swinburne worked together 10 years back to get as many players as possible involved in courses and made doing them as easy a task as possible. There has long been an emphasis in clubs on life after football.

of course players in the semi-prof days used to work while they were playing..... but I think that put too many demands on a kid straight out of school who hasnt done a days work in his life. Of course, a lot of players go straight to SEN or Fox or similar and manage to avoid work for their entire lives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back