Nathan Thompson and Kangaroos break ties

Remove this Banner Ad

I would think that David Hale's late season form would have probably sealed the decision.

There isn't room in the forward line for Thompson and Hale. Thommo is 30 or 31, Hale is 23. As a long term bet, Hale is probably a better option ( until GC snap him up in a couple of years ).

The AFL Youth Policy strikes again.

Id like to add my thanks to Thomo for his years at the Hawks, loved him in Brown and Gold, then he did the right thing by us when moving clubs and gave the Kangas excellent service as well

Always loved the big fella, even after he made the move. Im sure he will be remembered fondly by both sets of supporters

As for Jubjub, will you ever grow up? This thread should be about acknowleding a great servant of two clubs, instead you cant stop yourself acting like a 4 year old again

Stupid move he just came of a Knee Reco
Always takes big guys at his age 18Months to full recover will be a bargain to any club which picks him up Bulldogs should really look at him

Re: Nathan Thompson has been retired.

They've obviously firmed up negotiations with a replacement.

Who could it be?

144bhol.jpg

Would North fans like to remind us about all the crap they said when we supposedly treat Nathan badly when we traded him to north ?

Perhaps you can remind us, because I don't remember anyone saying you treated him badly. Maybe some North supporters said you traded him in the knowledge that a priority pick awaits (and he had the potential to derail that) - but Thommo asked for the trade and you gladly gave it to him.

It was a good trade for both clubs.

It is the Hay trade that gets a bit sticky - especially considering the comments and position of your president and Hay's comments later.

Can recall seeing him as a supp/rookie. Looked like a superstar. Never thought he ever reached the heights he should have.

When he jumped from hawforn (like any player from any club) he turned himself into a commodity. He has been treated like one.

Id like to add my thanks to Thomo for his years at the Hawks, loved him in Brown and Gold, then he did the right thing by us when moving clubs and gave the Kangas excellent service as well

Always loved the big fella, even after he made the move. Im sure he will be remembered fondly by both sets of supporters

As for Jubjub, will you ever grow up? This thread should be about acknowleding a great servant of two clubs, instead you cant stop yourself acting like a 4 year old again

well said

• NORTH Melbourne forward Nathan Thompson has announced his retirement from football.
As reported in the Herald Sun this morning, the Kangaroos told him this week that he would be delisted. The announcement came just weeks after the club had told him he was a required player.

Thompson retires after 179 games with North Melbourne and Hawthorn over 11 years.

Thompson said that while the decision to retire was a difficult one, he wanted to leave the game on good terms and as a North Melbourne player.

"During discussions with Dean (Laidley) and Donald (McDonald) it became clear that I would have limited opportunities to play senior football next year.

"While I was initially keen to play on, I felt that stepping aside would be t he best thing to do for myself, my family and the club."

North's football manager, Donald McDonald, said that Thompson made a great contribution during his time at the club.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24371096-19742,00.html

Sadly I think Thommo is a victim of the 2009 draft concessions being dished out to GC17. This year's draft looks pretty good and I think a few older players at a number of clubs might feel a bit nervous at the moment. It's a shame as I think Thommo still has a bit to offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thompson said that while the decision to retire was a difficult one, he wanted to leave the game on good terms and as a North Melbourne player.

"During discussions with Dean (Laidley) and Donald (McDonald) it became clear that I would have limited opportunities to play senior football next year.

"While I was initially keen to play on, I felt that stepping aside would be the best thing to do for myself, my family and the club."

Class act and the right decision.

The club handled it very poorly though. :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Thompson and Kangaroos break ties

Remove this Banner Ad

Back