NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers for your input people,MS told me im getting packet loss (whatever that is), i contacted Technicolour and they say the modem isn't on their system (TG-789vac V2) and told me that iinet need to assist me even though it's their product :drunk: After that conversation it seems to be working much better now in regards to d/loading on the xbone although i haven't changed anything.Im using the ethernet cable but would like to use either 2.4ghz or the 5ghz wireless option- does going wired or wireless affect it? Not too sure how far i am from the node.
My son has to go wireless in his room so was thinking having his on 5ghz and mine on 2.4ghz network

Sounds like you're having a blast. Unfortunately with fttn it can be very difficult to pinpoint the problem but iinet have been having a lot of issues on the nbn. You'd have to try another vdsl modem which you obviously don't have lying around.
I'd recommend trying a new provider like aussie broadband (they'll even give you a free month on sign up, no contract, etc) assuming you're able to change - contract and desire. It'll probably be best you a new modem too - not sure if that's something that's financially feasible for you.

Wired will always give you the better performance but you shouldn't notice a difference when it comes to your downloading going wireless. Under most scenarios the wireless should be a lot stronger than your internet connection.
As for 2.4ghz vs 5ghz you can have multiple devices connected to each... 5ghz is faster however it's not good at longer distances or if it has to pass through a lot of objects (walls, floors, doors, etc). 2.4ghz will perform better than 5 when you have a few objects to go through or further to travel.

Hehe cheers for your input Dew,as it stands I'll stick with what I got as I've had it for bout a month,but what VDSL/modem do you suggest if/when I really crack the shits and move to another provider?bearing in mind I'm a single father of 2 that live, breathe,shit internet:D

there's a provider from country WA - node1 that has been doing extremely well rolling out fixed wireless in Perth this year. If my fttn connection is crap then I'll definitely be jumping across to their 100/40 fixed wireless product.
I've heard good things about Node 1, it does depend on geographic location - if you're on the bottom of a hill then it won't really help. Another downside of using such providers is that if there are a lot of users using it at once then the speeds will fall dramatically as they only have one tower. Did a lot of research in regards to this, particularly in the suburbs of Morley and Noranda. One local businessman when into a deal with RedBroadband who installed a new tower just to keep up with traffic.

Don't hold your breathe for FTTN, there are talks that NBN are introducing Fibre to the Curb to some selected areas. Hope its yours.

I've heard good things about Node 1, it does depend on geographic location - if you're on the bottom of a hill then it won't really help. Another downside of using such providers is that if there are a lot of users using it at once then the speeds will fall dramatically as they only have one tower. Did a lot of research in regards to this, particularly in the suburbs of Morley and Noranda. One local businessman when into a deal with RedBroadband who installed a new tower just to keep up with traffic.

Don't hold your breathe for FTTN, there are talks that NBN are introducing Fibre to the Curb to some selected areas. Hope its yours.

Doubt it be us as we are just waiting to get it Installed.

Also when I got to NBN.co it says we are getting FTTN:'(

Hehe cheers for your input Dew,as it stands I'll stick with what I got as I've had it for bout a month,but what VDSL/modem do you suggest if/when I really crack the shits and move to another provider?bearing in mind I'm a single father of 2 that live, breathe,shit internet:D

I don't have any recommendations, there's plenty of opinions on forums like whirlpool. It'll also depend on your distance from the node, my understanding is the broadcomm chipsets work well if you're quite close but under perform when you're further out (happy to be corrected on this as I'm going off of memory)
If you do opt for one then make sure it's on the approved nbn co list otherwise they apparently refuse to acknowledge a fault. If you change provider then have a look at what they use, it's unfortunately become very complicated.
I think you should try and pressure iinet to send you a temporary modem to test the connection if it does appear to be a fault with your current modem - they are the ones that sold it to you. I know some other isps do this to help troubleshoot.

Don't hold your breathe for FTTN

My area is already live for fttn and I'm getting connected next week Wednesday - depending on the cable path im either 200m or 450m from my node. Let's hope it takes the logical/straight pathway.

Got my sis&bro in-law connected up to node1 and soon my parents as both their areas are 2019 (and hopefully fttc).

My area is already live for fttn and I'm getting connected next week Wednesday - depending on the cable path im either 200m or 450m from my node. Let's hope it takes the logical/straight pathway.

Got my sis&bro in-law connected up to node1 and soon my parents as both their areas are 2019 (and hopefully fttc).
Closer to the node, the better internet you'll have.

Just moved back to Melbourne from Perth and I'm getting absolutely ridiculous speeds - things you guys would only dream of!

Outright incompetence! What a bloody disgrace!

NBN: National Broadband Network upgrades already being planned
Lanai Scarr, Senior Writer, News Corp Australia Network
12-15 minutes
EXCLUSIVE

PLANNING is already under way on future upgrades to the NBN, even before the final rollout of the service is complete.

Peter Ryan, NBN Co’s chief network engineer officer, admitted the company has already begun planning upgrades to the service post its 2020 completion date, aware that the service will not be able to meet the needs of all Australians into the future.

It is estimated 25 to 40 per cent of NBN connections by 2020 will be Fibre-To-The-Node (FTTN) technology — which has been plagued by dropouts and poor speeds.

Experts say this technology will be outdated five to 10 years after the initial rollout and will need massive upgrades.

For the first time NBN Co, a business arm of the federal government, has conceded it has begun work on planning for upgrades to the service.

0779f5843033559dc8b98339a95445cb

The National Broadband Network has reached one in two Australians. Source: News Corp Australia
“We are contemplating right now as we roll out the network the ability to upgrade the network not only to meet the needs of Australians today but to future-proof the needs of Australians into decades ahead,” Mr Ryan said.

“We know that the technology that we are deploying is absolutely upgradeable to meet needs of Australians for the next few decades.”

Mr Ryan said NBN Co would be deploying a marketing blitz in coming months to ease Australians concerns about the service.

“I do accept that there has been some problems more recently,” Mr Ryan said.

“It is something that we are very focused on and we will focus a lot of our marketing on in the coming future.”

9e47c5600557710735877b2e903f2e1b

Frustrated Martin Bucher says he has had no home internet service for his laptop for the last four weeks and that since hooking up to the NBN it has been a "total nightmare". Picture: Jake Nowakowski
Mr Ryan’s comments come as the NBN today has reached half of all Australians, ahead of schedule and budget.

News Corp Australia can also reveal the comprehensive list of suburbs where the NBN will be available or begin construction from this month.

At the end of the financial year, the NBN was available to over 5.7 million premises —

313,000 ahead of NBN’s rollout target.

Additionally more than 2.4 million homes and businesses now have an active NBN service — which is 100,000 ahead of target.

But despite the milestones and faster rollout, many Australians are still unable to get access to high-quality reliable internet.

ccbabe852a5e1d2572b915aff5f2ebd9

National Broadband Network CEO Bill Morrow (left) recently said Australians didn’t want the highest speed broadband. He is pictured with Communications Minister Mitch Fifield. Source: AAP
A Choice survey last week showed 62 per cent of Australians suffered broadband disconnections, dropouts and speed slowdowns over the past six months.

Laurie Patton, the executive director of Internet Australia said of the NBN: “put simply, it’s a dud”.

“The problem we are facing is that we are now building a network based on ageing copper wires that will need to be replaced within five to 10 years of completion of project,” Mr Patton said.

He said the next stage of the rollout in metro areas, especially where FTTN was to be the primary technology used, would be a “nightmare”.

“Internet Australia has warned the government that the level of complaints is likely to skyrocket in the next 12 months.”

Labor’s communications spokeswoman Michelle Rowland said the 1 in 2 milestone was also no cause for celebration.

“Malcolm Turnbull promised every Australian would have access to the NBN by the end of 2016, yet as of today over 5.5 million homes and small businesses are still waiting,” she said.

“It has reached a point where Australians have begun to ask ‘am I in danger of getting the NBN?’”

Communications Minister Mitch Fifield said the NBN rollout was making a difference to the lives of Australian families and businesses.

“High-speed broadband will make it easier for kids to complete their homework online, for small businesses to grow, and for families to stay connected,” Senator Fifield said.

The rollout of the NBN is scheduled to be three quarters built by mid-next year and complete by 2020.

WHERE THE NBN IS UP TO, STATE BY STATE
NSW

There are more than 1.7 million homes and businesses in New South Wales which can already connect to the NBN. A total of 358,000 businesses and homes are expected to be connected in the next stage of the rollout, including in metro suburbs such as Bankstown, Mosman, Parramatta, Pymble and St Leonards.

SA

There are more than 477,000 of homes and businesses in South Australia which can already connect to the NBN. An average of 83,000 businesses and homes are expected to be connected in the next stage of the rollout including areas such as Albert Park, North Adelaide and Port Lincoln.

VIC

There are more than 1.2 million of homes and businesses in Victoria which can already connect to the NBN. More than 338,000 homes and businesses will be connected under the new stage of the rollout including parts of Geelong and Melbourne metro areas such as Doncaster, Chadstone, Albion, Northcote, South Yarra and Mitcham.

QLD

There are more than 393,000 homes and businesses in Greater Brisbane which can already connect to the NBN. Under the next stage of the rollout to be completed by next year a further 122,000 homes and businesses will get access to fast broadband including in suburbs such as Ashgrove, Fortitude Valley, Chermside and Indooroopilly as well as parts of Logan and the Sunshine Coast.

“With the national rollout now at the halfway mark, our team will continue to ramp-up work to build the network to help meet the demand in the Brisbane region,” NBN’s Senior Corporate Affairs Manager for Queensland, Kylie Lindsay said.

“To ensure residents in Brisbane get the best possible internet experience, it’s important they speak with their preferred retail service provider and discuss a speed and data plan which suits their needs.”

NT

Northern Territory has been hailed one of the most connected parts of the country, with the rollout of the NBN network almost complete and with the final build underway on a handful of sites.

New figures reveal Northern Territory homes connected to the NBN network are downloading on average around 144GB of data each month, which is around 20 per cent more than the national fixed-line broadband average and the equivalent of watching 144 one-hour episodes on Netflix.

“The Territory is at the forefront of the first nationwide upgrade of its kind to Australia’s telecommunications in more than 100 years,” NBN’s State Corporate Affairs Manager for Northern Territory, Jill Bottrall said.

“The Territory is a pioneering example of Australia’s digital future — it has seen an increase in usage of teleworking, online learning and on-demand entertainment since the network was switched on.”

be11c7b6525702d06931dcce177226b3

The Shadow Minister for Communications Michelle Rowland at a public forum about the state of the NBN implementation. Picture: MATHEW FARRELL
TAS

Tasmania is the most connected state in the country with the NBN rollout over 93 per cent complete in the state. Hobart will be the first fully connected capital city. A further 32,715 homes and businesses will be connected in the final stage of the rollout.

Tasmanian homes connected to the NBN network are also downloading on average around 144GB of data each month, which is around 20 per cent more than the national fixed-line broadband average and the equivalent of watching 144 one-hour episodes on Netflix.

“Tasmania is at the forefront of the first nationwide upgrade of its kind to Australia’s telecommunications in more than 100 years,” NBN’s state corporate affairs manager for Tasmania, Russell Kelly said.

“With the rollout over 93 per cent complete in Tasmania, it is important for residents who haven’t yet made the switch to speak with their preferred retail service provider and discuss a speed and data plan which suits their needs.”

WA

There are more than 590,000 of homes and businesses in Western Australia which can already connect to the NBN. The next stage will see a further 168,000 homes and businesses connected including in suburbs such as Claremont, Subiaco, Burns Beach and Parkwood.

WHERE THE NBN WILL BE ROLLED OUT NEXT
NSW

Ashfield, Balgowlah, Bankstown, Berowra, Campsie, Carramar, Castle Hill, City South, Como, Cremorne, Dalley, Eastwood, Edensor Park, Engadine, Epping, Frenchs Forest, Haymarket, Holsworthy, Hurstville, Kurrajong, Liverpool, Menai, Miller, Minto, Mosman, Newtown, Parramatta, Pendle Hill, Pennant Hills, Petersham, Pitt Town, Pymble, Rose Bay, Ryde, Seven Hills, Shalvey, Silverwater, St Leonards, Undercliff, Waverley

QLD

Parts of Sunnybank Hills, Robertson, Runcorn, Sunnybank, Lutwyche, Albion, Stafford, Bardon, Ashgrove, Kenmore Hills, Pullenvale, Brookfield, Deagon, Sandgate, Shorncliffe, Brighton, Chermside, Everton Hills, Everton Park, McDowall, Stafford Heights, Kedron, Fortitude Valley, Indooroopilly, Taringa, Kenmore, Kenmore Hills, Fig Tree Pocket, Chandler, Gumdale, Ransome,

Wakerley, Camp Hill, Carina, Seven Hills, Coorparoo, Greenslopes, Eight Mile Plains, Kuraby, Rochedale, Burbank, Priestdale, Rochedale, Runcorn, Bunya, Ferny Hills, Forest Lake, Inala, Mansfield, Upper Mount Gravatt, Wishart, Holland Park, Moorooka, Tarragindi, Annerley, Fairfield, Yeronga, Toowong, Auchenflower, Taringa, St Lucia, Woolloongabba,

Parts of Logan Village, Jimboomba, Stapylton, Yatala, Browns Plains, Drewvale, Forestdale, Larapinta, Chambers Flat, Greenbank, Park Ridge, Park Ridge South, Greenbank, New Beith, Chambers Flat, Greenbank, Munruben, North Maclean, Park Ridge South, Springwood, Greenbank, Woodridge, Slacks Creek, Underwood, Kingston, Logan Central, Crestmead, Loganlea, Marsden, Waterford West, Berrinba, Parts of Dayborough, Burpengary, Narangba, Bray

Park, Brendale and Strathpine

VICTORIA

Alphington, Bellfield, Clifton Hill, Coburg, Doncaster, Eltham, Fairfield, Fitzroy North, Ivanhoe, Kingsbury, Northcote, Montmorency, Oaklands Junction, Pascoe Vale South, Preston, Reservoir, Research, Templestowe Lower, Thomastown, Armadale, Ashwood, Balaclava, Bayswater North, Bentleigh East, Botanic Ridge, Brighton, Box Hill, Camberwell, Carnegie, Caulfield, Chadstone, Cheltenham, Cranbourne East, Croydon, Dandenong, Doveton, Forest Hill, Glen Huntly, Glen Iris, Hampton, Heathmont, Highett, Hughesdale, Kooyong, Lysterfield, Malvern, McKinnon, Mentone, Mitcham, Mont Albert, Mount Waverley, Murrumbeena, Narre Warren North, Nunawading, Oakleigh, Ormond, Ringwood, St Kilda East, South Yarra, Toorak, Vermont, Aberfeldie, Albanvale, Albion, Braybrook, Cairnlea, Caroline Springs, Deer Park, Delahey, Derrimut, Essendon, Hoppers Crossing, Kealba, Keilor Downs, Kings Park, Niddrie, St Albans, Rockbank, Sunshine, California Gully, Eaglehawk, Epsom, Heathcote, Jackass Flat, Maiden Gully, Marong, White Hills, Alfredton, Ararat, Beaufort, Lake Gardens, Lake Wendouree, Miners Rest, Sebastopol, Wendouree, Belmont, East Geelong, Geelong, Grovedale, Highton,

Alexandra, Benalla, Beechworth, Barooga, Mansfield, Mount Beauty, Mulwala, Nagambie, Tatura, Yarrawonga

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Christie Downs, Christies Beach, O’Sullivan Beach, Noarlunga Centre, Port Noarlunga, Morphett Vale, Onkaparinga Hills, Bellevue Heights, Clovelly Park, Eden Hills, Mitchell Park, St Marys, Bedford Park, Albert Park, Alberton, Hendon, Queenstown, Royal Park, Alberton, Cheltenham, Ottoway, Pennington, Rosewater, Andrews Farm, Angle Vale, Penfield, Munno Para West, North Adelaide, Port Lincoln.

NORTHERN TERRITORY

Parts of Humpty Doo

TASMANIA

Burnie, Devonport, East Devonport, Latrobe, Penguin, Ulverstone, Wynyard

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Balga, Girrawheen, Hamersley, Ballajura, Malaga, Alexander Heights, Marangaroo, Burns Beach, Kinross, Currambine, Iluka, Joondalup, Kingsley, Woodvale, Hillarys, Padbury, Kallaroo, Karrinyup, Scarborough, Trigg, Edgewater, Wanneroo, Ashby, Sinagra, Tapping, Hocking, Pearsall, Claremont, Mount Claremont, Subiaco, Perth, West Perth, Wembley, West Leederville, Nedlands, Crawley, Shenton Park, Jolimont, Churchlands, Floreat, Maylands, Mount Lawley, Inglewood, Bayswater, Menora, Nollamara, Yokine, Dianella, Mirrabooka Osborne Park, Stirling, Tuart Hill, Balcatta, Westminster, Balga, Murdoch, North Lake, Canning Vale, Southern River East Fremantle, Bicton, Palmyra, Alfred Cove, Attadale, Melville, Myaree, Lynwood, Parkwood, Riverton, Willetton, Gooseberry Hill, Kalamunda, Piesse Brook, Bickley, Carmel, Lesmurdie, Walliston, Dampier, Newman, Paraburdoo, Port Hedland, Tom Price, Denham, Brockman, Brown Range, Carnarvon, East Carnarvon, Greys Plain, Kingsford, Morgantown, South Carnarvon, Exmouth.

lanai.scarr@news.com.au

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/te...d/news-story/876652265583a0e42fdffd2cb038aa22

I was on offnet telstra ADSL via TPG and got Fixed Wireless NBN hooked up a week ago. The ADSL was terrible, constant drop outs, every threr months they would have to come out and fix the line. It was putrid.
Now the NBN is on and its a dream.
23/5 on speed tests.

Fibre to the Premises was the best idea that the previous Labor government could bring to the country and it was overturned with the much cheaper and completely useless current Liberal government. Beggars belief how the current government is spending all this money for NBN Fibre to the Node where it won't even work better.

Fizza To The Node

FIZZATOTHENODE.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was on offnet telstra ADSL via TPG and got Fixed Wireless NBN hooked up a week ago. The ADSL was terrible, constant drop outs, every threr months they would have to come out and fix the line. It was putrid.
Now the NBN is on and its a dream.
23/5 on speed tests.

You are Lucky Then

Everyone with any ounce of technical expertise knew fttn would need to be replaced asap. There's no such thing as an upgrade, all the expensive equipment will be redundant. At best you can reuse the fibre the pulled to the node but that's a fairly insignificant cost - it's like saying your house is upgradeable but you'll have to knock the whole thing down and can only keep the foundation.

Also let's forget speeds for a second, reliability is lower on fttn than adsl let alone fttp (higher frequencies have more difficulty with older/corded copper).

What's worse is for those of us stuck on fttn the 'upgrade' probably won't come because they've either sold it off or it's not making any money (fttn/hfc have much higher operating costs and fttn has lower revenue) so nbn is 'broke'.

The real icing on the cake is that this was all for political point scoring and the fttn/hfc combo is probably no cheaper (to us as consumers and taxpayers) than fttp but inferior in every way except it'll be 'completed' ~2 years earlier than fttp.

Everyone with any ounce of technical expertise knew fttn would need to be replaced asap. There's no such thing as an upgrade, all the expensive equipment will be redundant. At best you can reuse the fibre the pulled to the node but that's a fairly insignificant cost - it's like saying your house is upgradeable but you'll have to knock the whole thing down and can only keep the foundation.

Also let's forget speeds for a second, reliability is lower on fttn than adsl let alone fttp (higher frequencies have more difficulty with older/corded copper).

What's worse is for those of us stuck on fttn the 'upgrade' probably won't come because they've either sold it off or it's not making any money (fttn/hfc have much higher operating costs and fttn has lower revenue) so nbn is 'broke'.

The real icing on the cake is that this was all for political point scoring and the fttn/hfc combo is probably no cheaper (to us as consumers and taxpayers) than fttp but inferior in every way except it'll be 'completed' ~2 years earlier than fttp.

Makes it Hard when no one in Government has any clue what so ever about Technology and They make slow Internet because there Bosses Graham Burk and Rupert Murdoch. So they get Less Money because less people go to Movies and Get Foxtel

FTTN/C isn't a total flop. British Telecom in the UK did a similar thing and it can be upgraded via G.Fast technology, capable of 1gbs.
Fibre obviously is future proof, while HTC cable is capable of 10gbs.
Not to mention fixed wireless can be upgraded in the future. Nbn has also trialled 1gbs for fixed wireless here. Also 5G trials have shown more than 20gbs.
It's not all doom and gloom.

FTTN/C isn't a total flop. British Telecom in the UK did a similar thing and it can be upgraded via G.Fast technology, capable of 1gbs.
Not to mention fixed wireless can be upgraded in the future. Nbn has also trialled 1gbs for fixed wireless here. Also 5G trials have shown more than 20gbs.

Fixed wireless is great for the more rural regions and was always part of the NBN big fan and have a lot of faith it'll continue to improve as a product.
5G will be fantastic but similar to previous mobile tech (4G, 3G) it's a shared medium with every mobile user on that tower and data is going to be considerably more expensive. Not a suitable replacement for fixed line for most people.
HFC overall is ok and if they invest in DOCSIS 3.1 will deliver more than adequate speeds (assuming CVC issues are fixed).

G.fast - hasn't really been a raging success... yet. It's not on offer as a product by BT/openreach and will only reach 1gbps on pristine copper <100m in length. It drops pretty rapidly from there and is on par with vdsl2 at around the 4-500m mark so unless you push the fibre deeper you're only dramatically improving (1gbps) the service of 5-10% of the fttn footprint and marginally improving another 10%.
That's a lot of work and extra expenditure and not a viable upgrade path if you're only upgrading 20% of the users. This all assumes in addition to distance you're on reasonable copper that isn't badly corroded, doesn't drop out regularly and isn't impacted by rain.

Keep in mind fttp is currently able to provide 1gbps but the CVC and overall cost have proven to be too high at the moment and RSP/ISPs aren't offering it.

With our move to fibre to the curb, g.fast becomes a realistic upgrade option if they get it to work properly as does a cheap and easy upgrade to full fibre (assuming they provision for that as part of the network design - my understanding is it's a gpon architecture behind the dp)

It's also worth noting the majority of UK copper is 50% thicker than ours and have significantly higher node cabinet density and to top it all off the BT fibre to the cabinet as they call it is pretty average (I've just moved back from the UK)

Fttn was a political decision and unfortunately those users will suffer most going in to the future. A lot of the last mile technology discussions will be moot if the nbn doesn't make CVC a non issue as congestion due to an artificial peak time restraint. Ideally they'd massively reduce CVC and increase the AVC to make up for the drop in revenue.

It's definitely not all doom and gloom but we are again at the mercy of nbn/new owner to re-invest and considering what we've spent on this already it's crazy to think how many more billions need to be sunk.

Correct.

The biggest **** up has been the incompetence of nbnco and their contractors - one hand doesn't know what the other is doing and if things don't go right it's easy to blame shift so nothing gets resolved.

As for the comment above about politicians knowing nothing about the internet turnbull was the chairman of ozemail before it was bought out, I believe he managed to make somewhere north of $50 million out of his ozemail investment. For those who aren't aware of internet history in Australia ozemail became iinet after various buyouts and is now part of TPG. Turnbull knows a thing or two about the internet.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Fttn was a political decision and unfortunately those users will suffer most going in to the future. A lot of the last mile technology discussions will be moot if the nbn doesn't make CVC a non issue as congestion due to an artificial peak time restraint. Ideally they'd massively reduce CVC and increase the AVC to make up for the drop in revenue.

It's definitely not all doom and gloom but we are again at the mercy of nbn/new owner to re-invest and considering what we've spent on this already it's crazy to think how many more billions need to be sunk.

Well the People who Got it when Labor was in Goverment or living in a Brand New Housing Estates will get the Best NBN while the Rest get the Very Ordinary Franudband FTTN

Fixed wireless is great for the more rural regions and was always part of the NBN big fan and have a lot of faith it'll continue to improve as a product.
5G will be fantastic but similar to previous mobile tech (4G, 3G) it's a shared medium with every mobile user on that tower and data is going to be considerably more expensive. Not a suitable replacement for fixed line for most people.
HFC overall is ok and if they invest in DOCSIS 3.1 will deliver more than adequate speeds (assuming CVC issues are fixed).

G.fast - hasn't really been a raging success... yet. It's not on offer as a product by BT/openreach and will only reach 1gbps on pristine copper <100m in length. It drops pretty rapidly from there and is on par with vdsl2 at around the 4-500m mark so unless you push the fibre deeper you're only dramatically improving (1gbps) the service of 5-10% of the fttn footprint and marginally improving another 10%.
That's a lot of work and extra expenditure and not a viable upgrade path if you're only upgrading 20% of the users. This all assumes in addition to distance you're on reasonable copper that isn't badly corroded, doesn't drop out regularly and isn't impacted by rain.

Keep in mind fttp is currently able to provide 1gbps but the CVC and overall cost have proven to be too high at the moment and RSP/ISPs aren't offering it.

With our move to fibre to the curb, g.fast becomes a realistic upgrade option if they get it to work properly as does a cheap and easy upgrade to full fibre (assuming they provision for that as part of the network design - my understanding is it's a gpon architecture behind the dp)

It's also worth noting the majority of UK copper is 50% thicker than ours and have significantly higher node cabinet density and to top it all off the BT fibre to the cabinet as they call it is pretty average (I've just moved back from the UK)

They ran a trial in the UK to about 2000 homes where they used G.Fast on FTTN/C and they were averaging 330mbs on it. Considering the maximum limit for copper alone is 200mbs thats deff an improvement over plain old copper only.
You proberbly have a better technical understanding of it than me, but I think by the time they need to get to 1gbs for everyone they would have a solution.
Sure, everyone getting FTTP would be the best idea, but I understand why they opted for what they did.
Its the poor bastards on Sky Muster like my brother who are getting shafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back