NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

I have 12/1 and am definitely happy with it. Comfortably handles traffic of 2 to 3 people at the same time. We don't all need 100/40.
It depends where you start from to an extent. I can't get 4 download, 3.6-3.7 with 0.7 upload is reliable but 4 is very rare. 25, or even 12, I'd be thrilled with.

Wait time for NBN has actually decreased, mid-2018 now (in theory), was end of 2019 last I looked. Getting FTTC, which is not going to be great for a block of units. It still should be better than the 7km+ of copper between home and the exchange.

Foxtel locks NBN into troubled HFC network through Malcolm Turnbull's Telstra deal
1469671463238.jpg

Malcom looking pleased with himself as he is sealing the deal to use HFC with NBN guy and Foxtel

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull faces expensive embarrassment if NBN Co cannot rectify problems that have halted the rollout of the HFC network he championed, as the company confirmed taxpayers will be forced to pay to maintain it for Telstra to broadcast Foxtel, even if it is ditched from the NBN.

http://www.afr.com/technology/web/n...hrough-turnbulls-telstra-deal-20171203-gzxqk8

So not only did he hoble the NBN to help out Uncle Ruperts Foxtel business against streaming in exchange for lots of free political advertorials for the Liberals we now are locked in to pay to maintain his crap cables.

and this claims to be a clever innovative businessman?????

Foxtel locks NBN into troubled HFC network through Malcolm Turnbull's Telstra deal
1469671463238.jpg

Malcom looking pleased with himself as he is sealing the deal to use HFC with NBN guy and Foxtel

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull faces expensive embarrassment if NBN Co cannot rectify problems that have halted the rollout of the HFC network he championed, as the company confirmed taxpayers will be forced to pay to maintain it for Telstra to broadcast Foxtel, even if it is ditched from the NBN.

http://www.afr.com/technology/web/n...hrough-turnbulls-telstra-deal-20171203-gzxqk8

So not only did he hoble the NBN to help out Uncle Ruperts Foxtel business against streaming in exchange for lots of free political advertorials for the Liberals we now are locked in to pay to maintain his crap cables.

and this claims to be a clever innovative businessman?????

Why do we have Idiots in Charge of This?

Rupert has Bribed the Goverment so no Streaming so he Can Rip Aussies Off with Foxtel?

The Internet is about 20 Years out of Bloody Day.

Murdoch says Jump and Malcolm says How High

Optus join Telstra in offering NBN customers compensation regarding misleading it's customers about reachable speeds.

I wonder what type of comp people will get?.

I would have little to no faith in this apart from the network already existing. It's comparatively easy to go ahead with a project like this when the fibre is already in the ground.
I'll be very surprised if this delivers much at all. Looks like an election promise designed to win a few votes on the back of NBN roll out and performance issues.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Running netflix and stan alone for any decent amount of time will chew through your data unless you are with someone that offers them outside your allowance and afaik no one offers both of them a heap of places only offer plans of 1gb 10gb 100gb or unlimited even the places that offer 500 we would go over that without even trying.
Just a slight diversion on the NBN question but how unmetered and metered content work

Metered content I figure I get as I use about 100gb a month watching netflix. ie I watch from my tv using the wifi connection

I noticed Internode had a comment ''Only Netflix video streaming is unmetered'' , my old man question is . What do they mean? I think it might mean using my laptop to watch netflix means I wont be charged , is that correct?

Just a slight diversion on the NBN question but how unmetered and metered content work

Metered content I figure I get as I use about 100gb a month watching netflix. ie I watch from my tv using the wifi connection

I noticed Internode had a comment ''Only Netflix video streaming is unmetered'' , my old man question is . What do they mean? I think it might mean using my laptop to watch netflix means I wont be charged , is that correct?

Means that when you use NetFlix that it does not count Towards you Data Usage

Your ISP will know what you download through netflixs servers and so that wont count to your data cap. However if you are one of those people who have accounts with netflix where you make out you are from the states through a VPN so you can watch the far greater US netflix service then that will get put towards your data cap.
Also it wont matter if you watch Netflix through your PC or through apps it wont be counted.

Optus join Telstra in offering NBN customers compensation regarding misleading it's customers about reachable speeds.

I wonder what type of comp people will get?.
More shitty service?

I'm with Optus NBN, have been with them for 18 months. Recently about 3-months ago i noticed that my NBN was either constantly dropping out, or my speed was signifantly less than the up to 50MBs per i was paying for. I did some speed tests and had download speeds less than 1MBs. After calling Optus multiple times, i had wait times of close to 2 hours during some calls, finally would get someone who would tell me the old turn off your modem and that works thanks see you later. Finally after getting sick of the dropouts and speeds only 2-weeks ago, i got through to Optus, they admitted that they had records of my ongoing issues and they were "working-on" the problem. Additionaly they then tell me, my entire area was undergoing an upgrade to the NBN network due to identifed congestion problems as a result of the demand for NBN in the area.

Last edited:
Hi there people.

My home has just become NBN ready and I need to make a decision as to who I should sign up with.

Our current internet plan was costing $90 per month so looking to spend similar or less.

The wife works from home two days a week and we do the usual stuff (streaming, gaming, phones, tablets).

A couple of mates have signed up to My Republic and do far, they're happy with it.

Any thoughts folks?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hi there people.

My home has just become NBN ready and I need to make a decision as to who I should sign up with.

Our current internet plan was costing $90 per month so looking to spend similar or less.

The wife works from home two days a week and we do the usual stuff (streaming, gaming, phones, tablets).

A couple of mates have signed up to My Republic and do far, they're happy with it.

Any thoughts folks?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
You can move up to NBN 100 with optus for 100 a month. Average peak speeds of 75mpbs and free EPL if you are into that

You can move up to NBN 100 with optus for 100 a month. Average peak speeds of 75mpbs and free EPL if you are into that

I would not use Optus had Bad Reviews and I found Speeds are Very Slow

At the end of the day there are almost no good ISP's in Australia. There are just various levels of shit.

Skymesh are supposed to be decent but the packages on offer don't really have much value.
Skymesh were great but they were sold off. I got a great matched deal through them and am still with them but probably wouldn't sign up with them as a new customer.

The ones I'd look at are AussieBB and Telstra (their prices look more reasonable than they used to be).

I wouldn't touch TPG (including internode) or Optus with a ten foot pole.

I'm also fortunate to have FTTP.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back