NEAFL - Eastern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

In Melbourne for the weekend guys - the NBN hasn't hit town so the Net is a bit slow.

I'll update our tips tomorrow when I get back to Sydney.

No retrospective tips sorry....unless I can have five per week !

AFTER ROUND 15
...................................................ATTEMPTS .........NAILED............ PERCENTAGE
a bit high..................................................54.............44(5) ....................81%
14theroad................................................ 63.............46(4).....................73%
footytragic222.......................................... 53(4)........ 34(2).....................64%
collingwood08 ...........................................28............ 17(-).....................61%
justabaraker............................................. 62............ 38(4).....................61%
tater19.....................................................10..............6(-)......................60%
Demonroo...................................................4...............2(-).....................50%
grimlock......................................................1.............. 0 .........................0%

NEXT WEEK - Round 16

UWS v Tuggeranong
Eastlake v Swans
Ainslie v Syd Uni
Belconnen v SHEagles

Anyone can join in.....regular or occasional.
Bragging rights to the winner - no better prizes than that, sorry

As someone from within the {HILLS EAGLES} club it is clear to me that the boys have lifted at training and they have finally been able to get a team settled. The intensity at the footy yesterday was second to none and the rebound from defence was awesome. The back line looked very strong and Dimery (BOG yesterday) got a ridiculous amount of touches off the HBF/Wing.

I reckon the top four is pretty well sorted, but fifth is still available...Giants, Qbn and Eagles are in the mix - Syd Uni with a push.
Looks to me that Giants are in form and have the best run home. Qbn seems to be stumbling a bit (though, to be fair, I haven't seen them at all this year), Eagles seem a bit up-and-down and Syd Uni have a difficult run. With the best possible team on the park, I might sway towards Uni but they don't seem to be able to manage a settled team.
Belconnen for minor premiers, Giants for 5th, raffle for the middle spots in the five, Qbn for sixth.

Swans Reserves today only had about nine listed players and all the rest were young kids from the Central Coast on work experience - kids who don't usually play together at all, let alone in a Swans jersey.
But, for all that, Swans still beat Eastlake by 10 goals. And it was an Eastlake home game.

Bit of a worry to see the gap between the AFL teams and the community NEAFL teams.

Swans Reserves today only had about nine listed players and all the rest were young kids from the Central Coast on work experience - kids who don't usually play together at all, let alone in a Swans jersey.
But, for all that, Swans still beat Eastlake by 10 goals. And it was an Eastlake home game.

Bit of a worry to see the gap between the AFL teams and the community NEAFL teams.

in theory it was an eastlake home game, but it was played in newcastle...

worrying, and gws over tugger.... result awful for comp. be interesting next year...

Also, obvious that the AFL clubs aren't that keen on playing NEAFL local clubs ... Swans & UWS play each other 4 times during season and play Lions / Suns another 3 times - so half their season almost only against AFL clubs. This means if a Lions/Suns combination is strong throughout year you hav ea very skewed ladder
Makes the comp all a bit mickey mouse when NEAFL local clubs can finish top 3 simply because they play each other predominantly, yet will have to play AFL clubs in finals

A great example in Belconnen Magpies in Eastern Conf- they have not beaten one side in the Eastern Conf top 5, yet are equal top. They obviously have a soft draw and noticed they drew the 2 of the bottom NEAFL Northern sides also - luck of the draw i suppose

Belconnen have been beaten by Swans comprehensively, UWS , Eastlake & Ainslie and have only played these sides once ( all are in top 5 )
They have now beaten Tuggeranong Hawks, Syd Uni , Hills Eagles, twice each + 1 win against an injury depleted Qybn, and then 2 wins against Nthn conf sides ( Mt Gravatt who were beaten by Tuggeranong & Broadbeach) - this gives them 9 wins and sitting along side with Swans who have had to play much stronger opposition regularly

For the local NEAFL clubs to improve they need to regularly play the AFL sides and have a fair dinkum comp where every team plays each other twice at least and then we have a comp that is a true reflection of a footy season and not a doctored version which can elevate certain clubs based on lucky draws.

Just sayin ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, obvious that the AFL clubs aren't that keen on playing NEAFL local clubs ... Swans & UWS play each other 4 times during season and play Lions / Suns another 3 times - so half their season almost only against AFL clubs. This means if a Lions/Suns combination is strong throughout year you hav ea very skewed ladder
Makes the comp all a bit mickey mouse when NEAFL local clubs can finish top 3 simply because they play each other predominantly, yet will have to play AFL clubs in finals

A great example in Belconnen Magpies in Eastern Conf- they have not beaten one side in the Eastern Conf top 5, yet are equal top. They obviously have a soft draw and noticed they drew the 2 of the bottom NEAFL Northern sides also - luck of the draw i suppose

Belconnen have been beaten by Swans comprehensively, UWS , Eastlake & Ainslie and have only played these sides once ( all are in top 5 )
They have now beaten Tuggeranong Hawks, Syd Uni , Hills Eagles, twice each + 1 win against an injury depleted Qybn, and then 2 wins against Nthn conf sides ( Mt Gravatt who were beaten by Tuggeranong & Broadbeach) - this gives them 9 wins and sitting along side with Swans who have had to play much stronger opposition regularly

For the local NEAFL clubs to improve they need to regularly play the AFL sides and have a fair dinkum comp where every team plays each other twice at least and then we have a comp that is a true reflection of a footy season and not a doctored version which can elevate certain clubs based on lucky draws.

Just sayin ....

Best you don't think too hard about it because the inequities just pile up the more you do.
NEAFL is a handicap event where some competitors test themselves on their own terms while others measure themselves against the opponent.

AFTER ROUND 16
...................................................ATTEMPTS .........NAILED............ PERCENTAGE
a bit high..................................................58.............48(4) ....................83%
14theroad................................................ 67.............50(4).....................75%
footytragic222.......................................... 57........... 38(4)......................67%
justabaraker............................................. 66............ 41(3).....................62%
collingwood08 ...........................................28............ 17(-).....................61%
tater19.....................................................10..............6(-).....................60%
Demonroo...................................................4...............2(-).....................50%
grimlock......................................................1.............. 0..........................0%

NEXT WEEK - Round 17

Sydney Uni v Tuggeranong
Eastlake v SHEagles
Swans v Giants
Queanbeyan v Belconnen

AFTER ROUND 17
a bit high..................................................62.............50(2) ....................81%
14theroad................................................ 71.............53(3).....................75%
footytragic222.......................................... 61............ 41(3).....................67%
justabaraker............................................. 70............ 44(3).....................63%
tater19.....................................................10..............6(-).....................60%
grimlock......................................................1.............. 0..........................0%

NEXT WEEK - Round 18

Eastlake v Belconnen
GC Suns V Swans
Hills Eagles V Qbn
Ainslie v Tuggeranong

Yesterday we went to Drummoyne Oval to watch Syd Uni v Tuggeranong.
Syd Uni benefitted from having one of their strongest teams of the season, though Wilkie was missing. Five big guys up forward seemed a bit overcrowded (Dugmore, Campbell, Taggart, Barton and Elkington) but they worked it well, throwing in Barrett who is a dangerous small forward. And Tuggeranong had no answers I'm afraid.
Bit of a walkover.
The game seemed to be mostly played in Tuggeranong's half-back area because they found it difficult to get the ball out of there. Hence the lopsided scoreline.
I can't remember ever having seen such an unsuccessful gameplan for getting the ball out - it's only as good as poor old McGrath's ability to be Mr Everywhere down there everytime. I wonder whether they kept a stat of the number of unforced out-of-bounds and turnovers that came when running out of defence. The tactic reminded me of the Swans, but the difference is that the Swans have the quick thinking and handskills to manage high voltage plays, whereas Tuggeranong lack the skills to make it work....boys, if the horse is dead then you have to dismount and try another horse !

But full marks to McGrath, Symons and Cleaver for keeping on going - that Cleaver is quite something !
And well done to the five big amego's in Uni's forward line, plus Morrison, Ayton and Cole (who took a screamer and seemed to shock himself as much as the crowd).

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Eastern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back