NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprise results and tough games continue in this tight competition.

Thought the Vultures would smash a depleted Aspley but really struggled to get there by 8 points in the end. We will have to improve plenty on that if we rea going to hang around the finals race for long!

Sharks may have got their mojo back trouncing Morningside (who beat NT previous week). Probably adds merit to Broadbeach performance last week! Reckon Sharks will trouble Labrador, Quenbeyan, Aspley & Redland to finish with a rush. (How do the sharks get 2 x Canberra games??)

Redland win against Labrador was expected

Cats fought off a strong Lions outfit to stay alive - even though must thought Lions would win. Cats recent close losses may come back to haunt them

NT smash Suns

On their day it would seem that any team could beat any team....great comp.

Surprise results and tough games continue in this tight competition.

Thought the Vultures would smash a depleted Aspley but really struggled to get there by 8 points in the end. We will have to improve plenty on that if we rea going to hang around the finals race for long!

Sharks may have got their mojo back trouncing Morningside (who beat NT previous week). Probably adds merit to Broadbeach performance last week! Reckon Sharks will trouble Labrador, Quenbeyan, Aspley & Redland to finish with a rush. (How do the sharks get 2 x Canberra games??)

Redland win against Labrador was expected

Cats fought off a strong Lions outfit to stay alive - even though must thought Lions would win. Cats recent close losses may come back to haunt them

NT smash Suns

On their day it would seem that any team could beat any team....great comp.

Maurie,

I called into the Aspley V Mt Gravatt game at half time, you are not far off the mark from what I saw, the Vultures seemed very undicsiplined for the last 2 quarters with a few boofheaded Aspley supporters in the outer getting more attention from the Vulture players than the Hornet players themselves.

Albert might be lucky not to have some explaining to do to the MRP after losing it in the 3rd quarter, if it was not for some very average kicking for goal by Aspley in the last quarter it may have been a different story - Winners are griners so the story goes and the Vultures got the points in this one - I will be making it a point to get to the rematch in 4 weeks time as it has the makings of a blockbuster game for the seasons end, Vultures 3rd spot and double chance and Hornets position in or out of the 5 could be on the line in this one.

Impressive win today by the Thunder. Big Boof closing down on the 100-goal mark with a bag of 10, including five in the first quarter.

The GC Suns have finally lost the plot:

They sent 3 under 18 footballers to Cairns and played them all at the expense of a listed ALF player in Jack Stanlake - if that is not arrogance I dont know what is. To make matters worse they took a fully fit Stanlake to Cairns and apparently told him at Breakfast that he wouldnt be playing as they wanted to have a look at some young guys this week.

Some culture that McKenna is creating down there on the Golden strip, one of deciet, Hey if you dont think someone is up to it thats fine but why belittle him in front of his team mates by taking him to Cairns and making him watch the game. I just hope the day comes quicker rather than latter when the club gives Bluey the DCM that day will be within 2 years I would wager and there will be a lot of people who know the real man not the media man very happy, Super Coach or Super Roach time will tell all.

Maurie,

I called into the Aspley V Mt Gravatt game at half time, you are not far off the mark from what I saw, the Vultures seemed very undicsiplined for the last 2 quarters with a few boofheaded Aspley supporters in the outer getting more attention from the Vulture players than the Hornet players themselves.

Albert might be lucky not to have some explaining to do to the MRP after losing it in the 3rd quarter, if it was not for some very average kicking for goal by Aspley in the last quarter it may have been a different story - Winners are griners so the story goes and the Vultures got the points in this one - I will be making it a point to get to the rematch in 4 weeks time as it has the makings of a blockbuster game for the seasons end, Vultures 3rd spot and double chance and Hornets position in or out of the 5 could be on the line in this one.

Can you confirm Proud got reported multiple times?

The GC Suns have finally lost the plot:

They sent 3 under 18 footballers to Cairns and played them all at the expense of a listed ALF player in Jack Stanlake - if that is not arrogance I dont know what is. To make matters worse they took a fully fit Stanlake to Cairns and apparently told him at Breakfast that he wouldnt be playing as they wanted to have a look at some young guys this week.

Some culture that McKenna is creating down there on the Golden strip, one of deciet, Hey if you dont think someone is up to it thats fine but why belittle him in front of his team mates by taking him to Cairns and making him watch the game. I just hope the day comes quicker rather than latter when the club gives Bluey the DCM that day will be within 2 years I would wager and there will be a lot of people who know the real man not the media man very happy, Super Coach or Super Roach time will tell all.

Bit harsh Snorkle - this sort of behaviour has been going on for ever and a day. Think back to '93 GF and Derek Kickett - AFL footy is a tough sport, feelings aren't meant to be massaged. I reckon McKenna got it right if you want to look at the final score. Maybe Stanlake was 'insurance"??

Bit harsh Snorkle - this sort of behaviour has been going on for ever and a day. Think back to '93 GF and Derek Kickett - AFL footy is a tough sport, feelings aren't meant to be massaged. I reckon McKenna got it right if you want to look at the final score. Maybe Stanlake was 'insurance"??

A bit harsh you are kidding me. A listed fit player who we the footy public are paying at least $86,000 a year for and for the last 3 years to boot (not the GC Suns as they are funded by us the AFL Public, Members and General fans at an average of $45.00 a seat) to play football gets a rest while the Suns play 3 under 18 players over this listed player.

This coach is playing God with our funds, I think you are missing the point, which is, if you dont rate him tell at home, dont take him to Cairns and tell him then make him watch the game, or give the Morningside footy club who's under 18 players they used in Cairns (what no local kidsthey rate up there since that is there region) the heads up and give them a fit Jack Stanlake to use which would have at least given him a game and maybe them a win.

This whole thing smacks of arrogance which Bluey is and will be even more famous for until the day he falls on his sword. A man amoung boys and a boy amoung men.

Feeling alot of distaste for Mckenna? Any other incidents regarding him? Stanlake seems very out of favour but frankly I agree. Is on the senior list and pretty much guaranteed to be delisted season end.

Any word on the makeup of the comp 2012 onwards? I agree with a slight reduction in teams but not to the extreme thats been rumoured. Could increase the standard of the comp further however.

Broadbeach and a South Brisbane club is who I would axe.

Rnd 16 results

staminade 3 (47)
Footyfanatic1 2 (46)
stuyd 3 (45)
chikka ferguson 2 (44)
maurie 2 (44)
2010premier 3 (44)
pointer 1 (43)
Morphous 3 (40)
BigE 2 (39)
Lifes a Beach 1 (38)
Speedyunit 3 (38)
Thunderdoc 3 (37)
bballscout 2

Any word on the makeup of the comp 2012 onwards? I agree with a slight reduction in teams but not to the extreme thats been rumoured. Could increase the standard of the comp further however.

Broadbeach and a South Brisbane club is who I would axe.

I dont get the rationale and all this yahoo for wanting to cut teams from the first year of a significantly better comp. I understood the make up was fixed for 2 years.

Then review and see what happens. Whats behind the "Southern Club" that you propose cutting?? that can only mean Vultures or Bombers - are they not performing - can they pay their players? If so, why would you contemplate cutting them. Both are performing - Vultures fantastcially well - more so than Bombers - but both have shown that they can mix it with the best of them.

Ditto the Cats. If they can pay their players and are not disgracing themselves on the ground - why shold they be cut. With a little more luck in tight contests Broadbeach could be sitting in the 5. As it is they are above Labrador & Southport, so why cull them? I dont get it.

i ventured out to ditmar park on saturday. aspley gutted it out that is for sure and if not for a period in the second quarter where the vultures kicked 4 unanswered goals the hornets would have won, in the end they should have won. but that's footy

Vultures are winning the close ones and are improving each week lots of depth. As for Aspley should of won It might of if the decisions had continued to go there way right to the end Defining moments in a season even after the siren 20 mtrs out right in front, the game lost should of kicked the goal
Very even comp seems that every team lifts against the Vultures and creates a contest of every scrap
Every game could of gone either way seems they love a scrap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be be one of the Premier Football Comps in the country if they do the right things and dont get caught up in the Ho Ha.
So many young footballers are coming up here the weather was the reason now the football is improving and it is a destination that is considered it will be ahead of SA in coming years
Would be great to see some more ex afl players up here giving it a bigger boost

Could be be one of the Premier Football Comps in the country if they do the right things and dont get caught up in the Ho Ha.
So many young footballers are coming up here the weather was the reason now the football is improving and it is a destination that is considered it will be ahead of SA in coming years
Would be great to see some more ex afl players up here giving it a bigger boost

Good comment Dumbness - i agree. Reckon its a great place for kids to ply their trade and look to improve - certainly with the standard of AFL grounds now, playing on hard surfaces up here give a better insight to a players ability than slogging away on a mud heap in Melbourne BUT there is still a looooong way to go before the standard of footy here reaches the southern states and in turn where blokes are drafted from.

A bit harsh you are kidding me. A listed fit player who we the footy public are paying at least $86,000 a year for and for the last 3 years to boot (not the GC Suns as they are funded by us the AFL Public, Members and General fans at an average of $45.00 a seat) to play football gets a rest while the Suns play 3 under 18 players over this listed player.

[B]This coach is playing God with our funds,[/B] I think you are missing the point, which is, if you dont rate him tell at home, dont take him to Cairns and tell him then make him watch the game, or give the Morningside footy club who's under 18 players they used in Cairns (what no local kidsthey rate up there since that is there region) the heads up and give them a fit Jack Stanlake to use which would have at least given him a game and maybe them a win.

This whole thing smacks of arrogance which Bluey is and will be even more famous for until the day he falls on his sword. A man amoung boys and a boy amoung men.

Think you are 100% wrong - maybe the bloke is arrogant, so was Leigh Matthews. AFL coaches don't get credits for being good blokes to the feeder clubs, just on results. On my score chart Bluey has done remarkably well this year.

I dont get the rationale and all this yahoo for wanting to cut teams from the first year of a significantly better comp. I understood the make up was fixed for 2 years.

Then review and see what happens. Whats behind the "Southern Club" that you propose cutting?? that can only mean Vultures or Bombers - are they not performing - can they pay their players? If so, why would you contemplate cutting them. Both are performing - Vultures fantastcially well - more so than Bombers - but both have shown that they can mix it with the best of them.

Ditto the Cats. If they can pay their players and are not disgracing themselves on the ground - why shold they be cut. With a little more luck in tight contests Broadbeach could be sitting in the 5. As it is they are above Labrador & Southport, so why cull them? I dont get it.

Agreed. Comp is getting better. All sides are competitive on the field. As long as they all pay their bills (and if they don't players leave and they become uncompetitive very quickly) and stay competitive I really don't get the need to cull. The Suns and Lions reserves are getting good competition week in week out (better than the Eastern Conference) so why fix what ain't broke.

In every comp in the world there are more financial and less financial teams and more and less successful teams. As long as the less resourced do not drag down the standard of the comp then no need to rationalise.

Look at Port Power- a basket case on and off the field. They require multi-million dollar AFL bailouts each year and can handly win a game. Crowds are terrible and dropping, yet no talk of them being shunted to Tassie or kicked out. Quite right too-much as I have no love for them, to give up on them would be to lose supporters of the game and would be the wrong move.

Personally I'd hate to see a Morningside, Mt Gravatt or Broadbeach (or any others) get the boot like people on this forum seem to be gunning for.

By the way, in my view it seems like the Suns are getting more things right than wrong both on and off the field. There will always be things that people don't agree with but they have a young side that seem to be performing and developing ok all things considered, and I have no doubt that they will be top 4 in 3-4 years.

If we have to have a rationalisation process,I would think the best way to do this is to put forward the levels that need to be achieved in facilities, finances etc and let the clubs try and achieve what is asked (as long as it is fair & reasonable).The closeness of the competition means that performances can't be used unless a basket case emerges (there are none) because as we all know any team can beat any other on a given day.

If we take two or three teams out of the competition where does that leave room for development, certainly on the coast Southport who could end up being the only team on the coast, continually avoid playing players for development they want ready mades, they will then have the choice of all coast players, I wish the players coming out of juniors luck in getting an NEAFL game then.

No team deserves to be forced from this competition as it stands right now,I too think the competition needs time to grow not contract.I have said before all teams should be important in the NEAFL.

Good article in Sundays Herald Sun about Darren Pfeiffer. Said he specifically played for Southport last season in a bid to get picked up by Suns. Why did he not even get a gc vfl gig last season? Carving up atm for Norwood who are probably the no.2 team in SANFL.

Regarding NEAFL team axing, I dont agree with it, just saying what Ive heard. However can see the rationale as it will increase standard with a slight reduction in teams. Id like to see all Bris clubs stay as they are deserving. Only axing should be 1 of Labrador/Broadbeach to increase standard of GC teams whilst making way for the proposed Cairns club.

League consisting of:

Gold Coast
Brisbane
Aspley
Morningside
Mt Gravatt
Redlands
Southport
Labrador
Northern Territory
Cairns

Leaves the league at 10 (similar number to WAFL/Sanfl). Keep it at this for a number of years with a long term view of possible relocation to Sunshine Coast. Lions should really increase their presence here IMO.

Broadbeach, whilst a solid/respected club lack funds and are obviously the targeted club to be demoted (Labrador very lucky). These top cats players can move to the other gc clubs and increase the standard, ie: All gc clubs struggling this year.

Good article in Sundays Herald Sun about Darren Pfeiffer. Said he specifically played for Southport last season in a bid to get picked up by Suns. Why did he not even get a gc vfl gig last season? Carving up atm for Norwood who are probably the no.2 team in SANFL.

Regarding NEAFL team axing, I dont agree with it, just saying what Ive heard. However can see the rationale as it will increase standard with a slight reduction in teams. Id like to see all Bris clubs stay as they are deserving. Only axing should be 1 of Labrador/Broadbeach to increase standard of GC teams whilst making way for the proposed Cairns club.

League consisting of:

Gold Coast
Brisbane
Aspley
Morningside
Mt Gravatt
Redlands
Southport
Labrador
Northern Territory
Cairns

Leaves the league at 10 (similar number to WAFL/Sanfl). Keep it at this for a number of years with a long term view of possible relocation to Sunshine Coast. Lions should really increase their presence here IMO.

Broadbeach, whilst a solid/respected club lack funds and are obviously the targeted club to be demoted (Labrador very lucky). These top cats players can move to the other gc clubs and increase the standard, ie: All gc clubs struggling this year.

i like the look of this comp, broady would be unlucky but valid points in regards to sustained funds perhaps could be a feeder to the GC?

no western suburbs team is a concern - the lions should make this their area and develop stronger ties with the west magpies and junior clubs.

sunny coast team a long way off.

Yes possibly. Every club is pushing for their own stand alone club. WA and Vic clubs spring to mind. Crows/Power probably the exception atm due to strong SANFL comp.

Would like to see a revamped/improved Foxtel Cup in 2012 with more games/prestige if possible.

League consisting of:

Gold Coast
Brisbane
Aspley
Morningside
Mt Gravatt
Redlands
Southport
Labrador
Northern Territory
Cairns

Bball..you make me laugh..last week you suggested that a 'southern club"..I read Vultures and Broadbeach need to go....let me remind you that Vultures had more representation in the State team than any other Club....and are sitting in a dominant position on the ladder..lay of the Vultures!

You also state that a reduction in teams will see an increase in standard,....but then suggest a Cairns based team should be in....wtf??? 10 = 10..what rationalization?

And Wtf shold be Broady be axed...because they were once the poor cousins? Right now they are the leading Gold Coast team in the comp and actually present as the best of the 3 GC Clubs. Coach seems to be doing a good job and recruits seem OK. You suggest they lack funds....tell me a Club that doesnt.....have Mornigside paid the players on time recently? Why the contradiction and inequality.

Who is going to pay the cost for 9 home games in Cairns and where are the quality players going to come from? Whose to say that even if someone kicked in the cost, a Cairns based team be both financial and competitive?

Everyone acknowledges that this is a pretty even comp, with no surprises in the results of any matches....sounds like good comp huh...but still some want to axe others..reading some of these posts is like watching Survivor....FY Jack, I'm all right! like watching animals eat their young!

I reckon Labrador should survive, i reckon Southport should survive, i reckon Broadbeach should survive, I reckon Vultures should survive, I reckon Redlands should survive, I reckon Aspley should survive, I reckon NT should survive, i reckon Morningside shold survive, i reckon Lions reserves should survive and I reckon the Suns reserves should survive (in a more controlled manner which balances the competition and eliminates obvious bias via uncontrolled top up players and a never ending player list). I can live with this and I reckon the more people that embrace it rather than try and kick clubs out, the better it will be. United is a pretty compelling argument.

Well said Maurie.

Must say though a Cairns and a PNG side would add again to the comp. A 12 team Northern Conference would be pretty good and 18 round draw be something like this:

Play Every team in the conference once. - (11 rounds)
GC teams play GC teams twice/three times, Bris play Bris teams twice, NT/Cairns/PNG play twice/3 times (4 rounds)
Crossover games with Eastern Conference (3 rounds)

I reckon at some point they would want a team from Sunny Coast as well, not possible now but in 10 years? Maybe to replace NT after they go into the AFL with a side from Tassie in 10 years? Seems unlikely but if Suns and Giants are successful guaranteed AFL will expand again.

Eastern Conference expanded from the 9 next year with extra 1-2 from Sydney and maybe even one from Wagga or Albury/Wodonga or even NZ. Just speculating but I wouldn't rule anything out, and in 10 years it will be intersting to see how it all looks.

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back