NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't say i'm across the NEAFL like alot of you guys are but Maurie's post is really interesting because it once again shows the folly of putting a "development" side into a serious competition and expecting other sides to more or less pay lip value to them bc "it is in the interests of the local football for them to be successful".

What you say is incredibly stupid on behalf of the AFLQ for believing that this is in the interests of AFL football in Qld. As you said, the Suns get enough benefits already without having the luxury of picking up damn good footballers from sides that are competing against them!! I find administrators forget that there are actually many other clubs battling away, trying to raise a buck (easier when winning) week in week out without doing it with one hand tied behind their back. The best thing for Qld footy is for clubs to survive I would have thought.

The way the Lions 2's (the Cubs) were introduced to the AFLQ "back in the day" was pretty well right. A list of 25 players or so that they could choose from and if they needed to top up, used good young players from both Premier league sides and PHC teams. Generally though these guys weren't playing A grade but had ability. Why couldn't this model be used and the better young kids from local GC sides be thrown in.

Great post Maurie.

I have to say I dont get the deal and the 'hospitality' for Gold Coast Suns offered in the NEAFL. They have all the conditions and favours already in the comp but this call up ploicy of senior palyers from other clubs is a joke. My take:

* They dont have to play top up players
* They have a full list of 55 fully professional full time players
* They have some of the best young talent in the country
* They have AFL experienced players on their list including a Premiership player who is a regular in their NEAFL side
* The basic contracted player at the Suns, I am guessing, would be around $50k - no matter how many games he plays
* Have a plethora of medics, physios, nutritionalists and support staff
* Have access to the best resources, training, grounds, facilities, training aids and AV review

Our Clubs (the 7 Qld based Clubs)
* Have a limit of 60 players - many dont even have that
* Part time players and would probably train a maximum of 3 times per week
* The average player would be on around $250 - $275 per Senior game
* The best player at our Clubs wouldnt get half of what the basic player at the Suns gets per year

So, if our lists our similar in terms of number, how come the Suns can go to our Clubs and call up the next best crop of kids if they are short?

What do we do when we are short - call on the limited resources of our Under 18 kids.

It riles me that they get to call up the next best batch of a far greater talent pool - and riles me even more when they start calling up kids/adults who have been playing senior football at our Clubs.

This is not a level playing field. It wasnt at the start - and the benefit of the so called call up rules being used right now are really making the comp a bit of a giggle. It would be a giggle if we didnt give a rats.

I hope the Suns do well..I have driven down to watch a couple of the senior games and think they will do well. But fairs fair - if they are short, then they should have a strictly limited number of kids that they can call up - just like us 7 clubs do. And not another batch of the best Under 18 kids in the state - otherwise their list of 55 of the best kids becomes 75! We cant go out and get the best under 18 kid or senior player from Morningside or another Club to 'help us out' if we are short- so how come they can?

When we are short we suffer the consequences by playing blokes who maybe arent quite up to it - and that can often mean a loss - just ask Labrador with their injuries this year. When the Golden Suns are short, they get top ups who are almost equal to the ones that arent available - or worst - are being rested!

Anyway, thats my rant, but reading some of the posts in here regarding their top ups has got me going - time for a red!

Maurie

That without a doubt is the most sensible thing I have ever read on this blog.
GC Suns will win in Cairns and not lose another game this season including the GF. To rub salt into the wound you may well have Carrara as the venue for the GF ! I hope Yeronga is the venue but parking will be a major issue.
I noticed they beat the Swans last weekend who only had 20 players, and 18 after the first quarter. Why didn't the Swans ask for top ups. I don't think they showed the Northern Conference due respect and because they are that far in front of their conference couldn't care less about the outcome of the game. A nice little percentage boost for the Suns which will guarantee them at least 2nd and most likely the minor premiership.

Maurie

That without a doubt is the most sensible thing I have ever read on this blog.
GC Suns will win in Cairns and not lose another game this season including the GF. To rub salt into the wound you may well have Carrara as the venue for the GF ! I hope Yeronga is the venue but parking will be a major issue.
I noticed they beat the Swan last weekend who only had 20 players, and 18 after the first quarter. Why didn't the Swans ask for top ups. I don't think they showed the Northern Conference due respect and because they are that far in front of their conference couldn't care less about the outcome of the game. A nice little percentage boost for the Suns which will guarantee them at least 2nd and most likely the minor premiership.

Totally agree there thunder doc. Two weeks ago I would have thought thunder were home. Then enter Aspley and morningside into the equation. I would suspect that the thunder are gone with some injuries and the long season starting to catch up on a few. Aspley will struggle to make the five, loss of some key personal will make it hard for them and Micha bucannon to miss one more is not ideal for the bumbling bees. I think morningside are the only team that could go close to GC. Mt gravatt you need to shut down three players and you will win the game. So GC IT IS TO MUCH TALENT!!

Totally agree there thunder doc. Two weeks ago I would have thought thunder were home. Then enter Aspley and morningside into the equation. I would suspect that the thunder are gone with some injuries and the long season starting to catch up on a few. Aspley will struggle to make the five, loss of some key personal will make it hard for them and Micha bucannon to miss one more is not ideal for the bumbling bees. I think morningside are the only team that could go close to GC. Mt gravatt you need to shut down three players and you will win the game. So GC IT IS TO MUCH TALENT!!

NT lose 2 games and being written off.Have a handful of games remaining in Darwin I think,which they will win.Get a home final and stats say they will win that then direct entry into Gf.Lost only once in Darwin apart from Foxtel cup.Tyrell,Palapumini,Anderson and Mcleod to come in also.Suns and Mt Gravatt will finish 2nd and 3rd.Panthers to win flag though.

This season will all come down to who is eligible to play for the Suns IMO. If the 7-game clause withstands then they might be in trouble- if not then they could field a team twice as good as any other.

This season will all come down to who is eligible to play for the Suns IMO. If the 7-game clause withstands then they might be in trouble- if not then they could field a team twice as good as any other.

Hey guys, can someone tell me where/address of the oval where the Lions reserves are playing Broadbeach this weekend. I see its at Sherwood but whats the address.

Hey guys, can someone tell me where/address of the oval where the Lions reserves are playing Broadbeach this weekend. I see its at Sherwood but whats the address.

Western Magpies' ground.
41 Chelmer St East
Chelmer

Along Oxley Road

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thunder to bounce back v Suns
Lions to beat Cats in a close match
Panthers to pump the average Sharks
Bombers to beat Tigers in a low scoring battle
Hornets to upset Vultures by a few

Interesting week this. If Aspley can beat the Vultures, NT beat Suns and Morningside beat Southport it will make that 2nd and 3rd spot a very tight race. Make or break week yet again for many clubs.

GC Suns Res v NT Thunder- Thunder with a few injuries and are ripe to be beaten by a strong Suns team by 6-7 goals
Bris Lions Res v Broadbeach- coin flip, Cats have been pretty close recently and are due for a win by 3 goals
Southportv Morningside- interesting to see if Gough plays, Siders building nicely by 6 goals
Redland v Labrador- Redland with more to play for by 4 goals
Mt Gravatt v Aspley- no Shir, M.Buchanon, Vultures by 8 goals

GC Suns Res v NT Thunder- Thunder with a few injuries and are ripe to be beaten by a strong Suns team by 6-7 goals
Bris Lions Res v Broadbeach- coin flip, Cats have been pretty close recently and are due for a win by 3 goals
Southportv Morningside- interesting to see if Gough plays, Siders building nicely by 6 goals
Redland v Labrador- Redland with more to play for by 4 goals
Mt Gravatt v Aspley- no Shir, M.Buchanon, Vultures by 8 goals

it's going to be pissing down rain tomorrow apparently. unless the makers of gumboots have made football boots in the last week. i reckon we could be for a weekend of low scores

GC Suns Res v NT Thunder- Thunder may have some issues..may be 3rd loss
Bris Lions Res v Broadbeach- thought Broady were better
Southportv Morningside
Redland v Labrador
Mt Gravatt v Aspley- The mighty vultures in a bath!

Southportv Morningside
Redland v Labrador

Suns to surge to favourites for flag.1 coast team has to win it
Broady to hang in for finals race,just.
Morningside.Hope Sharks get spoon.Most expensive team to get it.
Redlands.Labrador blaming injurys but other issues internally.
Mt Gravatt.Revenge for loss at Graham Rd.How is Aspleys depth with injurys and suspension going?

Will be at the G tomorrow.Hope it is not raining in Melb

Southportv Morningside
Redland v Labrador

My tips
Suns
Broadbeach
Morningside
Redland
Mt Gravatt

Impressive win today by the Thunder. Big Boof closing down on the 100-goal mark with a bag of 10, including five in the first quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back