NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

It is great that the footy is so close in the Northern reigon with standard lifted in this the first year of the expanded competition, all we have to do now is get the umpiring to the same standard - why is it that the umpiring standards differ in and across the one division of football.

I whatched 3 whistle blowers yesterday that imo could book their end of season holiday over the upcoming finals period as they were pathetic, in the difference of 100 metres their interpritation of the laws of the game was changed by some 180 degrees - I have never blamed the umpires for lossing a side a game but the standard of their (all umpires) performance must in the least be consistant and there is a big gap in this area in the NEAFL umpiring department for some, as spectators all we ask for is fairness in the umpiries making their decisions (it is not rocket science its their interpritation after consultation of the laws of the game), it must be even more frustrating for the players and the coaches who have to play with the goal posts being shifted each week depending on the standard of umpires they are given - consistancy NEAFL umpiring department please - even if the wrong decison/interpretation on the day is made - in the very least instruct them to be consistant in their rulings.

Which game was this?

Big thanks to the Southport Sharks who made us (Queanbeyan Tigers) feel welcome yesterday. They put on pizzas and a few drinks after the game which was much appreciated before our flight back home.

In our current state of development the Sharks were just a bit too good for us. I don't think the margin at the end showed how close the game was. At a stage in the third quarter there was only 16 points in it and had we kicked more accurately for the quarter (2.7) things may have been different in the last.

We've got a very young list, many just starting out in senior footy. The Sharks had a number of quality footballers with a great deal more experience and that showed in the end.

And to Chikka and Snorkle - the umpiring was pretty good.

Spot on 2010 Premier. As I said a couple of weeks ago, there are players in this league that are not contracted to play for the Suns or the Lions, yet there are at least 15 guys in this league that are much better footballers then the lions and suns players that have been promoted and played at the top level this season.Im not only talking youth here, but as they call it, mature age rookies. i feel the Suns and Lions recruiting people are looking everywhere else across the country and not looking to hard at what they have in their own backyard.

Well said. Many quality qafl players now at another level ahead of a lot of lions. Zorko would be a top 10 player for Brisbane imo. Suns to a lesser extent but still could certainly look at a few here.

Spot on 2010 Premier. As I said a couple of weeks ago, there are players in this league that are not contracted to play for the Suns or the Lions, yet there are at least 15 guys in this league that are much better footballers then the lions and suns players that have been promoted and played at the top level this season.Im not only talking youth here, but as they call it, mature age rookies. i feel the Suns and Lions recruiting people are looking everywhere else across the country and not looking to hard at what they have in their own backyard.

On what basis do you state this mate?? Bc some bloke doesn't brain them in the Lions or Suns 2's you reckon they aren't good enough? A guy who you would have NFI as to whether he can get a kick at AFL level but bc he is killing them in the almighty NEAFL he is a top 10 footballer at an AFL club? That is bizarre in the least.

Michael - fantastic footy sheds you have down there at Queanbeyan. A real football club's rooms.

Big thanks to the Southport Sharks who made us (Queanbeyan Tigers) feel welcome yesterday. They put on pizzas and a few drinks after the game which was much appreciated before our flight back home.

In our current state of development the Sharks were just a bit too good for us. I don't think the margin at the end showed how close the game was. At a stage in the third quarter there was only 16 points in it and had we kicked more accurately for the quarter (2.7) things may have been different in the last.

We've got a very young list, many just starting out in senior footy. The Sharks had a number of quality footballers with a great deal more experience and that showed in the end.

Talking to high profile Sharks people last night,Southport should have won by 100 plus if they didn't drop to down to oppositions intensity level.Still outscored your team by ten goals over last 2 qtrs.Why is it Canberra based teams are exposed after half time?

Zorko 3 more Groagn votes and my Beloved Cats finals bound.Top 5 will come down to last round.

Labrador caalling Jamie Sheehan marshmallow.Soft As.

Which game was this?

Which game? this does not matter, I am not whinging about the result of the game just the standard of umpiring for both and all teams come finals time - the 3 umpires in question from yesterday will know or should know who they are after their review this week or maybe they wont dependent upon the review process, it is great to get comments on this site from interstate team officials regarding the standard of the umpiring in the NEAFL - they must have had some of our better adjudicators officiate at their game.

On what basis do you state this mate?? Bc some bloke doesn't brain them in the Lions or Suns 2's you reckon they aren't good enough? A guy who you would have NFI as to whether he can get a kick at AFL level but bc he is killing them in the almighty NEAFL he is a top 10 footballer at an AFL club? That is bizarre in the least.

Michael - fantastic footy sheds you have down there at Queanbeyan. A real football club's rooms.

Maybe a big call but you can't tell me that Zorko isn't better than 6-8 blokes getting a regular game for the Lions- Sheldon, Stiller, Banfield, Hawksley, Buchanon etc. He showed in the state game that he can go up a level, I would be surprised if an AFL club didn't grab him at the end of the year.

Starting to get really excited about Vultures now. Yesterdays win over Redland was outstanding and this team is looking as though they can go all the way. Albert was sensational again and the efforts of Grose to restrict Pullman to just 2 scoring shots was fantastic. The way the Lions are going, I reckon Albert would be a walk up start in their Senior side!

The efforts by Broady over the last couple of games to knock off NT & Suns, really opens the door for us....

Agree Maurie. Vultures are a well balanced drilled team. Will be right up there for the flag.And Albert Proud will poll plenty of votes in the medal count( i think hes inelgible isnt he).Proud should be playing afl, without a doubt, along with Zorko.

SMY1305, you have misunderstood what im saying.obviously you have NFI as to where im coming from.My point is that there are players in this comp that have what it takes to play AFL, AND ARE BEING OVERLOOKED. Im not taking anything away from the guys that have played for the Suns and Lions at the elite level this season, its part of their development and many will become regular senior players, no doubt.
So do you get where Im coming from now....???

It is great that the footy is so close in the Northern reigon with standard lifted in this the first year of the expanded competition, all we have to do now is get the umpiring to the same standard - why is it that the umpiring standards differ in and across the one division of football.

I whatched 3 whistle blowers yesterday that imo could book their end of season holiday over the upcoming finals period as they were pathetic, in the difference of 100 metres their interpritation of the laws of the game was changed by some 180 degrees - I have never blamed the umpires for lossing a side a game but the standard of their (all umpires) performance must in the least be consistant and there is a big gap in this area in the NEAFL umpiring department for some, as spectators all we ask for is fairness in the umpiries making their decisions (it is not rocket science its their interpritation after consultation of the laws of the game), it must be even more frustrating for the players and the coaches who have to play with the goal posts being shifted each week depending on the standard of umpires they are given - consistancy NEAFL umpiring department please - even if the wrong decison/interpretation on the day is made - in the very least instruct them to be consistant in their rulings.

Intersting you should comment on some thing you also have no idea about the definition of umpiring is interpretation of the rule yes they make wrong decisions but that is how they have interperated the rule
Standard of umpires it has never changed only there fitness is getting better
Give the guys in whatever color they choose to wear a break as with out them it would be prison rules

SMY1305, you have misunderstood what im saying.obviously you have NFI as to where im coming from.My point is that there are players in this comp that have what it takes to play AFL, AND ARE BEING OVERLOOKED. Im not taking anything away from the guys that have played for the Suns and Lions at the elite level this season, its part of their development and many will become regular senior players, no doubt.
So do you get where Im coming from now....???

The other thing im saying is, it wouldnt surprise me if an interstate club picks up Zorko, thus a loss to our 2 QLD afl sides, where one of them could of got him. Simply.. because of inadequate recruiting ability influenced by attitude. IMO, To much emphasis is put on finding draft picks from interstate, as there is still a mentality that the grassroots QLD footy comps do not provide the potential recruits.Yes, the recruitment process in QLD has improved over the past 6 or 7 years, but I still say there are a number of players in the NEAFL that could get a regular game at AFL level.As I said, have a serious look in our own backyard.

The other thing im saying is, it wouldnt surprise me if an interstate club picks up Zorko, thus a loss to our 2 QLD afl sides, where one of them could of got him. Simply.. because of inadequate recruiting ability influenced by attitude. IMO, To much emphasis is put on finding draft picks from interstate, as there is still a mentality that the grassroots QLD footy comps do not provide the potential recruits.Yes, the recruitment process in QLD has improved over the past 6 or 7 years, but I still say there are a number of players in the NEAFL that could get a regular game at AFL level.As I said, have a serious look in our own backyard.

Just to weigh in on this 1 the standard has increased 5 fold the profesionalism has increased and will need to increase 5 fold before recruiters take the league serious they dont look at the quality of football played here as a whole but as a individual in there format what he can bring to that format
It seems to me the utility player is the one in vogue can play all ends of the ground and some
Must live and breath it

Talking to high profile Sharks people last night,Southport should have won by 100 plus if they didn't drop to down to oppositions intensity level.Still outscored your team by ten goals over last 2 qtrs.Why is it Canberra based teams are exposed after half time?

Zorko 3 more Groagn votes and my Beloved Cats finals bound.Top 5 will come down to last round.

Labrador caalling Jamie Sheehan marshmallow.Soft As.

Hey Staminade,
Maybe it's a heat thing. 21-22 degrees is probably cold for you guys but when you consider we woke up to minus 8 only a week ago and regularly train at close to 0 (frozen grass crunches under your feet while you jog laps!) playing in 20 degrees plus when you aren't used to it can really take it out of you.
The results this year in the cross over games would suggest that Northern Conference sides are stronger than the Canberra teams, but your old league was a couple of years ahead of us having been exposed to Brisbane Lions and the development that comes with that. There seems to be a sprinkling of ex-AFL players throughout your clubs. We don't have that yet, but at least it gives us something to work towards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Intersting you should comment on some thing you also have no idea about the definition of umpiring is interpretation of the rule yes they make wrong decisions but that is how they have interperated the rule
Standard of umpires it has never changed only there fitness is getting better
Give the guys in whatever color they choose to wear a break as with out them it would be prison rules

You picked the right name mate, I know its their interpretation of the rules of the game after consultation - that consultation is coaching, that might suprise you they do actually have a coach and just like the player they go to training, when a decision changes in their interpritation within a 100 meters in the same game all I am saying is it is time to improve or dont rule on that decision, the best umpire is the one who does not guess and if not sure its play on and dont try and be the centre of everyones attention - good umpires are not noticed in a game.

(Labrador) Broadbeach caalling Jamie Sheehan marshmallow.Soft As.

Staminade,

Let us get this straight, your now speaking on behalf of Labrador, very mischievious if you want to bag players and other clubs DO IT IN YOUR OWN CLUBS NAME.

Rnd 19 results

staminade 4 (56)
Footyfanatic1 5 (56)
stuyd 5 (56)
chikka ferguson 5 (53)
maurie 5 (54)
2010premier 4 (52)
pointer 4 (50)
BigE 4 (48)
Morphous 4 (47)
Thunderdoc 5 (47)
Lifes a Beach 4 (46)
Speedyunit 4 (45)

Bballscout 3

Great efforts Footfanatic1, Stuyd (or is it Stuyd1?, whats going on), Chikka Ferguson, Maurie and Thunderdoc.

[FONT=&quot]Speedy you only put 5 tips in you missed 1 game[/FONT]

Agree Maurie. Vultures are a well balanced drilled team. Will be right up there for the flag.And Albert Proud will poll plenty of votes in the medal count( i think hes inelgible isnt he).Proud should be playing afl, without a doubt, along with Zorko.

What a promoters dream come true up in Darwin this weekend. The winner should be able to put one hand on the minor premiership with only one round left after this week. Also the 4th and 5th spot will come down to some fairly intense footy over the next two weeks. You could say that finals have already started.

Not sure why Albert is ineligible. He hasn't been suspended this year has he. He hasn't missed a game to my knowledge. Grose would have to be show (even though he's not a midfielder) From what I've seen and read he has taken out every big name in the comp this year. Surely Zorko can't keep getting overlooked. He's right in the Suns backyard.

What a promoters dream come true up in Darwin this weekend. The winner should be able to put one hand on the minor premiership with only one round left after this week. Also the 4th and 5th spot will come down to some fairly intense footy over the next two weeks. You could say that finals have already started.

Not sure why Albert is ineligible. He hasn't been suspended this year has he. He hasn't missed a game to my knowledge. Grose would have to be show (even though he's not a midfielder) From what I've seen and read he has taken out every big name in the comp this year. Surely Zorko can't keep getting overlooked. He's right in the Suns backyard.

If Vultures are to be minor premiers they will have to win both games, Aspley in the last round will be no easy beats. Thunder have only lost one game in Darwin to a Qld side in 3 years and Mt Gravatt haven't played there since 2009.

Final 5 won't be decided until Sunday week at 5pm !!

didnt abey kick 5 on him 2 weeks ago and took about 10 contested marks

didnt abey kick 5 on him 2 weeks ago and took about 10 contested marks

Kicked 3 of his 5 in the middle of the game on Reid and Scott while Grose was off with a broken nose.

Reckon the game at Morningside from a month ago is the best indicator. Poor Sherrin had Grose's fist firmly printed on the side. Abey was unsure of the brand they used. 1 goal from memory.

Pullman had him covered at Dittmer Park.... only time i have seen him beaten all year.

Kicked 3 of his 5 in the middle of the game on Reid and Scott while Grose was off with a broken nose.

Reckon the game at Morningside from a month ago is the best indicator. Poor Sherrin had Grose's fist firmly printed on the side. Abey was unsure of the brand they used. 1 goal from memory.

Pullman had him covered at Dittmer Park.... only time i have seen him beaten all year.

fair call i was just going off results and a bit i saw on fox

Haven't had a crack at umps.Not yet

Pretty sure he is eligable and a big chance.Evans,Smith,Gilliland might take votes off each other where Zorko might get all Broadys votes.

Proud should be given a 2nd chance.GWS should look at him,role model for kids they sign.Taken the opportunity at Vultures.

where is the suns-lions neafl game this weekend, i know its on saturday arvo, but is that as a curtain rasier to the AFL @ the Gabba or else where coz i wanna go see it

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back