NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns over Lions - Better team on paper and more to play for
Hornets over Sharks - As above, more to play for and at home
Thunder over Vultures - Get 5 of their studs back
Bombers over Panthers - Can see the upset here
Cats over Tigers - Broadbeach very hungry atm for finals action

Suns over Lions but who knows-if it was the Melbourne Cup then there would be an inquiry LOL
Southport over Aspley who can be proud of their season but may be spent without Shir.
Broady over Labrador in a danger game given the Cats have been "up" for a few weeks now and Labrador have got a few of their guns back.
NT over MT Gravatt in which IMO shapes as the match of the season and the likely grand finalists.
Morningside over Redland in a physical contest.

We say it every week but a sensational round of footy.

Aspley's season could be over..fallen to Southport by around 4 goals...average game.....:(

Can't really see Aspley beating Mt Gravatt next week so pretty likely they will drop out of the 5. Question is: who of Broady, Morningside or Southport will get in?

Looking forward to streamiing the game tonight, should be a cracker.

Saw the Lions scrape home over the Suns.Good quality game with each side fielding 8 or 9 guys that have played AFL this year.Suns had a problem with their defensive side of the game, especially coming out of the oppositions backline today. The ball came out to easy with unmarked opponents many times.
Karmichael Hunt went ok and I acknowledge him as a great athlete, but I feel he is better suited to League. I think Folau will achieve much more.
Nathan Ablett, very good. Cannot understand why he is not in the seniors. As an Ablett he would rise to the occasion, he has experienced what it takes at the elite level and his brother Gary, would bring him into the game as he did in Geelongs premiership year three
odd years ago.

Been watching the Lions - Suns match as well as the Vultures - NT on computer...AFL match - Half time. It is without doubt the worst bloody game of football that I have ever watched. Fair dinkum if it was soccer it would be a nil all draw. A friggin disgrace that this is an AFL match!!! Frazer & Harbrow...the WORST draft picks of ALL time...If it was my company I woud ask for my money back...absolute disgrace!!!

Turned off to concentrate on a good clash in NT..Vultures right in it!

Saw the Lions scrape home over the Suns.Good quality game with each side fielding 8 or 9 guys that have played AFL this year.Suns had a problem with their defensive side of the game, especially coming out of the oppositions backline today. The ball came out to easy with unmarked opponents many times.
Karmichael Hunt went ok and I acknowledge him as a great athlete, but I feel he is better suited to League. I think Folau will achieve much more.
Nathan Ablett, very good. Cannot understand why he is not in the seniors. As an Ablett he would rise to the occasion, he has experienced what it takes at the elite level and his brother Gary, would bring him into the game as he did in Geelongs premiership year three
odd years ago.

Being an ablett is the only reason he is on an AFL list. If he played well today that'd be his first good game in many years. I take it you are joking when you say you can't understand why he is not playing at AFL level. If you are serious, I think you are a peanut.

Being an ablett is the only reason he is on an AFL list. If he played well today that'd be his first good game in many years. I take it you are joking when you say you can't understand why he is not playing at AFL level. If you are serious, I think you are a peanut.

Footy Fanatic; read into what im saying.Do I have to go in depth to explain my comments.Firstly, I agree with you about his non performances over the past couple of seasons. You are spot on.... What Im saying is that his past 3 games have been good and just maybe he needs to be given a chance at the elite level, which he has been at, and will have some better players around him including his brother, whom would no doubt bring him into the game as he did back in 2007/2008.( brother to brother knowledge, like the Selwoods and the indigneous players.)
And Im talking about now, not 8 or 12 weeks ago as his form did not warrant this at all. Im talking about the Suns experimenting in their first season in the AFL.The Suns have blooded many talented youngsters where some have done well and some not. Thus with Nathan performing lately, why not throw him into the seniors with only a couple of games to go this year .It might be a success and it might not.

And in addition, You have made many comments on this forum , comments that may have us other forum participants agreeing or not, just like all of us, . I think we all respect our opinions, so please refrain from calling someone a peanut.

Footy Fanatic; read into what im saying.Do I have to go in depth to explain my comments.Firstly, I agree with you about his non performances over the past couple of seasons. You are spot on.... What Im saying is that his past 3 games have been good and just maybe he needs to be given a chance at the elite level, which he has been at, and will have some better players around him including his brother, whom would no doubt bring him into the game as he did back in 2007/2008.( brother to brother knowledge, like the Selwoods and the indigneous players.)
And Im talking about now, not 8 or 12 weeks ago as his form did not warrant this at all. Im talking about the Suns experimenting in their first season in the AFL.The Suns have blooded many talented youngsters where some have done well and some not. Thus with Nathan performing lately, why not throw him into the seniors with only a couple of games to go this year .It might be a success and it might not.

And in addition, You have made many comments on this forum , comments that may have us other forum participants agreeing or not, just like all of us, . I think we all respect our opinions, so please refrain from calling someone a peanut.

Reckon Nathan is only there bc his brother is the superstar of the comp and probably insisted on it. He was never any good at the elite level - was gifted a GF and unfortunately will probably never fulfil the ability he apparently has. So be it, not unlike 5000 blokes but unfortunately his name makes him stand out!

Been watching the Lions - Suns match as well as the Vultures - NT on computer...AFL match - Half time. It is without doubt the worst bloody game of football that I have ever watched. Fair dinkum if it was soccer it would be a nil all draw. A friggin disgrace that this is an AFL match!!! Frazer & Harbrow...the WORST draft picks of ALL time...If it was my company I woud ask for my money back...absolute disgrace!!!

Turned off to concentrate on a good clash in NT..Vultures right in it!

Thanks Maurie - was stupid enough to attend live (lucky I didn't pay for the tickets) - cannot agree more. Appalling game of footy made even worse by ridiculous music played after every Lions goal. WTF is happening at the Gabba - more like a stage show than a football match feel.

Can a Aspley insider,many are on here,adv why Aspleys best defender in Copeland not go to Hughes who was Southports only attacking option up forward?Would have won the game if this happened in my opinion.He went fwd after coming back on the ground

Can a Aspley insider,many are on here,adv why Aspleys best defender in Copeland not go to Hughes who was Southports only attacking option up forward?Would have won the game if this happened in my opinion.He went fwd after coming back on the ground

The story on the NEAFL site tells all Staminade. I can't see that the seven minutes that Copeland had on the field without cracked ribs would have made much difference had he played on Hughes. He definitely wasn't up to it - or any other key defensive match up - afterwards. He seemed to be playing up front to fill a spot with other players falling around. The Hornets can't take a trick on the injury front at the moment.

With Shir and Brittain (S) hoping for a return in a couple of weeks, the only way they'll see game time is for the baby bumblebees to get up over the Mounties next week. Trivia question: when the Hornets take the field next week, will they have the lowest average age of any side that's taken the field in the top league?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

odd years ago.
Saw the same game Suns might have won if half the game they didnt have at least 2 teammates coming on and of the ground not during stoppages in general play some were 3mins on 30 sec of very unorganised chaos at times the guy coming of hadnt even touched the ball strange roatation system seems like it was run by the players after half time the poor folks doing the boundry must of run out of ink
Saying all that lions had a point to prove if not for the poor kicking should of put it out of there reach quite early on rich has a ton of class and has ability to lift the boys were needed
Can Broadbeach end the party for Aspley today and the Siders do a job on Redlands unlikley this would push Southport into the finals race and results go there way next week Broadbeach and Sharks finish 4th and 5th

Wow,

What an end to the new NEAFL Northern Season after the results of round 20, Broadbeach into 4th, Morningside into 5th, Redland into 6th, Aspley into 7th and Southport into 8th all still a chance to make the final 2 spots in the final 5.

There are dilemma's for all clubs including Mt Gravatt (who are enternched in 2nd spot) - For Morningside and Broadbeach - one of these two will make it the winner should go in. (If Morningside dont win they are gone)

The loser (if Broadbeach) must wait until the Redland v Southport game % will decide this winner of the games fate on playing finals (bearing in mind there is only 00.17% between Redland and Aspley so maybe it won't.

But the big one is Mt Gravatt's David Lake's Dilemma, does he rest his better and older players after the road trip to Darwin to freshen them up for the 1st Semi final the week after or does he take his strongest team into the game against Aspley and jeopordize his possible double chance with a game that Aspley must to win to play on? This will be the match of the year and will decide the make up of the final five.

After whatching the game on Thundervision last night the Thunder can only get better - no pressure on next week and a week off the following and then a home final the week after that, I feel that the cup may be at the engravers already completed.

One more crazy week of NEAFL Footy to go, If only the AFL could have this dream result for sides trying for the final five - good luck to all, may the best sides get in.

It would be nice to get a bit of media attention on this unusual chain of events that will unfold this comming weekend.

Saw Cats- Labrador today ladies day at H & A oval. Cats played in pink jerseys.

Match never really rose to any great height, Broady got the job done but looked a bit flat and Labrador are looking for the end of the season asap (it will be ugly in Darwin next week). Some of the errors made by both sides reduced the spectacle of the match. Zorko only played first half and looked a bit sore with what looked a stomach complaint. He looked as if he may have returned to field if the Cats looked in danger of losing. Notting also finished early (possibly a hammy).

Interesting final week. Redland and Aspley look like they are heading in the worng direction, Broady play Morningside and therefore one must lose and could open up for the Sharks.

Saw a 50 metre given for some one throwing a mouth gaurd and some one jumping around madly when an opponent told him he had dropped one of his contact lenses
Redlands were very dissapointing so much to play for so little heart

OK NT were good...Vultures struggled after half time but not conceding just yet!

Drove down to M1 to watch Broadbeach & Labrador..best players from both teams were on the bench....but OK game...Broady had game under control after 1/4 time.

Certainly one of the form teams of the comp...

Rnd 20 results

stuyd 4 (60)
staminade 3 (59)
Footyfanatic1 3 (59)
chikka ferguson 4 (57)
maurie 3 (57)
2010premier 4 (56)
pointer 2 (52)
BigE 4 (52)
Thunderdoc 3 (50)
Morphous 2 (49)
Lifes a Beach 3 (49)
Speedyunit 4 (49)

Bballscout 2

The story on the NEAFL site tells all Staminade. I can't see that the seven minutes that Copeland had on the field without cracked ribs would have made much difference had he played on Hughes. He definitely wasn't up to it - or any other key defensive match up - afterwards. He seemed to be playing up front to fill a spot with other players falling around. The Hornets can't take a trick on the injury front at the moment.

With Shir and Brittain (S) hoping for a return in a couple of weeks, the only way they'll see game time is for the baby bumblebees to get up over the Mounties next week. Trivia question: when the Hornets take the field next week, will they have the lowest average age of any side that's taken the field in the top league?

Tough call on any one on Aspley defenders, the delivery Hughes got was such that any quality defender would have struggled to hold him. Colch has been exceptional all year and I think everyone is out of line blaming him for Hughes 7 goals (that is not why Southport won) Both Colch and Hutchison have been revelations for Aspley and should only be encouraged for their efforts

As for Aspley's injuries they are no worse than any other club and one has to expect that in a "contact sport". I still think they are a chance of upsetting Mt Gravatt who travelled this week and will be flat aftet the build-up during the week. They also know they will have to play Thunder again in 3 weeks with NT strengthened by Andrew McLeod, Iggy Vallejo and Matt Rosier and a huge local crowd.

Interesting havent seen any blame put on the youngsters on this site or is there unrest \???
Seems pride is a big thing in a football club Southport seems to be showing some of that
have been pretty impressed with there victories in the second half of the year If they make the finals and kept winning the GF is were they would see the NT no travel etc
What are their current odds?

Tough call on any one on Aspley defenders, the delivery Hughes got was such that any quality defender would have struggled to hold him. Colch has been exceptional all year and I think everyone is out of line blaming him for Hughes 7 goals (that is not why Southport won) Both Colch and Hutchison have been revelations for Aspley and should only be encouraged for their efforts

As for Aspley's injuries they are no worse than any other club and one has to expect that in a "contact sport". I still think they are a chance of upsetting Mt Gravatt who travelled this week and will be flat aftet the build-up during the week. They also know they will have to play Thunder again in 3 weeks with NT strengthened by Andrew McLeod, Iggy Vallejo and Matt Rosier and a huge local crowd.

injuries won't be used as an excuse and they shouldn't be. their kids have been playing all season and they will get better. it doesn't help when they lose their first 3 games and a few by less than a kick. that's what really has cost them

injuries won't be used as an excuse and they shouldn't be. their kids have been playing all season and they will get better. it doesn't help when they lose their first 3 games and a few by less than a kick. that's what really has cost them

Agreed Damo and dumbness. I wasn't bagging the kids or using injuries to excuse performances. Merely making a point that they (injuries) had been a challenge. There is no unrest. rather, a general excitement at the club about its future. Great to see Ives and Wagner having an impact on the weekend. I disagree with the Doc though that all clubs have been equally affected by injury.

A month ago, Aspley came within a kick of the Vultures without 7 or 8 of the first 10 usually selected. If they come with the right structure and attitude, it'll be game on. Their season is not yet over nor is their hope of playing in finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back