NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Good idea but reality is most people follow AFL and would not even know the state game is on. If your proposal went ahad, majority would leave after Port/GC unfortunetly.

Should be a fair few AFL recruiters at Southport on weekend for both games.

I can tell why game not curtain raiser for AFL game
All entrants would have to pay for a ticket to AFL game even if not interested in Port v Suns

Also the new Metricon Stadium (which Anna Bligh help redevelop with our hard earnt taxes ) can only host 3 teams, 4th team must change in adjoining basketball stadium.
Where would team 5 and 6 change - under trees in car park across Nerang-Broadbeach road !!

All entrants would have to pay for a ticket to AFL game even if not interested in Port v Suns

Also the new Metricon Stadium (which Anna Bligh help redevelop with our hard earnt taxes ) can only host 3 teams, 4th team must change in adjoining basketball stadium.
Where would team 5 and 6 change - under trees in car park across Nerang-Broadbeach road !!

and that's also one of the reasons why we had a massive final start at 9:30 last year and the fact the suns didn't want their 2s to wait another day to finish their season off

the vfl play the tsl this week and there game probably is on when an afl game is on, you don't see them ever move a game just to suit the afl do they, why does our league keep doing that

and that's also one of the reasons why we had a massive final start at 9:30 last year and the fact the suns didn't want their 2s to wait another day to finish their season off

the vfl play the tsl this week and there game probably is on when an afl game is on, you don't see them ever move a game just to suit the afl do they, why does our league keep doing that

Cause the whole NEAFL is pretty much AFL funded/controlled. Remember AFLQ is an extension of the AFL. Different to SANFL for example who are a separate entity.

The 2 Canberra rep teams warm up in the pig pen at Southport.

Possible state side line up

Backs Grose, Roe, Geary
H/Back Wise, Mills, Wrigley
Mids Grayson, Illet, Smith
H/Fwds Dzufer, Clouston, Davey
Fwds Baxter, Neagle, Payne
Ruck Tyrell, Dignan, Carse
Inter: Thurlow, L Scott, Wilson, Gilliland
Emerg: Shelton, Spackman, Headland, Mckee

Backs Grose, Roe, Geary

In my opinion NT will make Tyrell unavail..

Backs Grose, Roe, Geary

I don't know about Wilson in front of Spackman and Shelton. And seriously how does Thurlow get a state game, he's played a handful of games and even less good ones. I'd have Brewer, Reid, Hill, Weymouth, Paxman, Uoango way before him.

Don't you rate Headland?

Its a reasonably simple formula IMO when you have the talent base of young players that Aspley do have (at their own club mind you, not by trying to recruit every young fella from neighbouring clubs). Have faith in your own, top up with a few high end recruits but choose these guys carefully and not on past AFL experience nor reputation. Get a really good local coach who has good networking skills and people skills and is a teacher, not a coach necessarily.
IMO Aspley have taken a while to develop a football club that blokes want to play at without receiving big bucks - thats a shame bc they have great facilities and a great location.

Great post smy,

My observation on the club, as a supporter at the moment is they just dont seem united, I noticed when the Birdman kicked all of his 11 goals last week the Cats were around him giving him a pat on the back etc - this does not happen at Aspley at the moment.

The group seem to me, to be playing chase a kick football, their structures seem ok but when some of the play makers continually run down the lines and scream for the footy and they get ingnored, therefore their structure breaks down - to me that is very negative way to play, teams win games, not individuals and when the Hornets work this out they will be a lot better for it.

They have a great list with a good mixture of experiance and youth, but they are not playing to their potential at the moment IMO, I read that Russell Evans (who I think is a great coach) is going to wield the axe for the next game with some big names maybe dropped - I hope this was stated to wake a few of the non ball sharers up and it does not happen, the boys have a week off (with the exception of the 5 guys playing State Footy) so they should use this time as a united playing group to bond together as a group, they need to get the love back for the club and each other.

Maybe get a piss up happening over the weekend and enjoy some time together as group.

Then it is time for the leaders (both coaches and players) of the club to spark up the group and demand the footy required and surley needed from the group to turn the corner, this needs to be lead from the pointy end, this can only be acheived by training hard, preparing well and giving their all on game days - sticking to the game plan.

Passion to play is required at Hornets at the moment and to many so called good players are just going through the motions and are not committing themselves to play for each other at the moment.

Playing lists may change from year to year but the fundamentals never do, Aspley have come a long way in just a few years and it is now time to turn the season around, move forward and get the spark back into their game.

Great post smy,

My observation on the club, as a supporter at the moment is they just dont seem united, I noticed when the Birdman kicked all of his 11 goals last week the Cats were around him giving him a pat on the back etc - this does not happen at Aspley at the moment.

The group seem to me, to be playing chase a kick football, their structures seem ok but when some of the play makers continually run down the lines and scream for the footy and they get ingnored, therefore their structure breaks down - to me that is very negative way to play, teams win games, not individuals and when the Hornets work this out they will be a lot better for it.

They have a great list with a good mixture of experiance and youth, but they are not playing to their potential at the moment IMO, I read that Russell Evans (who I think is a great coach) is going to wield the axe for the next game with some big names maybe dropped - I hope this was stated to wake a few of the non ball sharers up and it does not happen, the boys have a week off (with the exception of the 5 guys playing State Footy) so they should use this time as a united playing group to bond together as a group, they need to get the love back for the club and each other.

Maybe get a piss up happening over the weekend and enjoy some time together as group.

Then it is time for the leaders (both coaches and players) of the club to spark up the group and demand the footy required and surley needed from the group to turn the corner, this needs to be lead from the pointy end, this can only be acheived by training hard, preparing well and giving their all on game days - sticking to the game plan.

Passion to play is required at Hornets at the moment and to many so called good players are just going through the motions and are not committing themselves to play for each other at the moment.

Playing lists may change from year to year but the fundamentals never do, Aspley have come a long way in just a few years and it is now time to turn the season around, move forward and get the spark back into their game.

You hit the nail on the head at the end. The playing list changes every year, but the fundamental problem aspley seem to have, is that no one values their jersey, as long as they get good cash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know about Wilson in front of Spackman and Shelton. And seriously how does Thurlow get a state game, he's played a handful of games and even less good ones. I'd have Brewer, Reid, Hill, Weymouth, Paxman, Uoango way before him.

Don't you rate Headland?

I think it is a raffle between Wilson and the other two. I had him in because of Broady's form and his importance to that.
Headland out not becauuse I don't rate him I just have the other 3 small defenders ahead of him.
Thurlow - good selection for a young ruckmen on the rise. Brewer and Reid unlucky - but again a bit of raffle - Tyrell clearly best.

I think it is a raffle between Wilson and the other two. I had him in because of Broady's form and his importance to that.
Headland out not becauuse I don't rate him I just have the other 3 small defenders ahead of him.
Thurlow - good selection for a young ruckmen on the rise. Brewer and Reid unlucky - but again a bit of raffle - Tyrell clearly best.

Riodji,
toss of the coin between Wilson etc.Agree Tyrell is the best ruckman in the league and Thurlow(19 yrs old) going ok as he experiences senior NEAFL football.But for me ,Brewer (19 yrs old) had a good season in 2011 at senior level and continues to develop so far this season.Has had Essendon, Collingwood and the Bulldogs looking seriously at him, thus I feel he should be in.Regardless, they will both play in the under 21 side anyway.

You hit the nail on the head at the end. The playing list changes every year, but the fundamental problem aspley seem to have, is that no one values their jersey, as long as they get good cash.

Seems to be many issues at Aspley... should in no way be like this with their financial and junior base strengths They are a potential powerhouse.Maybe they need a clean out of the heirachy and bring in some blood that knows how to make the club a sucessful one. I mean it starts from the top, be it board members, coaches etc etc, not just the players.Appears to be no soul at the club.

Seems to be many issues at Aspley... should in no way be like this with their financial and junior base strengths They are a potential powerhouse.Maybe they need a clean out of the heirachy and bring in some blood that knows how to make the club a sucessful one. I mean it starts from the top, be it board members, coaches etc etc, not just the players.Appears to be no soul at the club.

Mentioned exactly those sentiments last year Stuyd1 much to a few Aspley ppls dismay but not sure I'm wrong still. TBH I don't believe the club has had it for nearly 15 years. Even when they played in the division below and won premierships they were on the back of very heavy $$. Amazed that a club with such a large junior base actually goes out spending bucks. A good mate who was fairly privy to the inner workings of the club a couple of years back was gob smacked at how frivolous money was spent, the lack of professionalism off field and basically what you said - lack of soul. This IMO can't be rectified with a piss up BB but takes a number of years and invariably requires ppl who would indeed play for nothing to be around (not that you would pay them nothing but the mindset should be this way IMO). They play bc they love the club and want to add to the fabric of it.

Problem with qld footy is there is no heart in it
To political and to easy for crap players sight unseen to get good money clubs can't afford to play selfish football
I guess that's why they come here

Staminade,

BB, appreciate what your saying about your club.. no worries about that.But may I say, you are wrong about home grown juniors at Broadbeach, as the club puts huge emphasis on their junior comps. Broadbeach have a large number of home grown juniors that are playing at senior level regularly and at reserve grade level occasionally gaining a senior spot .As proof i provide some of names of these home grown products.... Shreeve,Cooke,.Stewart,Mckenzie,Searl,Davidson.Quick,Killey,Brennan,Boston,Kolka,Sklennar,Freeman,Frawley,and a coulpe of others.
not being a smart arse, just quoting the facts about home grown juniors being at Broadbeach.

Stuyd,

Not being a smart arse back - but according to the NEAFL web site club lists, Aspley show 37 players out of a list of 60 from Aspley and the surrounding areas IE Kedron, & Sandgate playing at the club - Broadbeach show 19 from 60, this shows that Aspley are using their juniors and other talented kids from the surrounding areas very well and most when ready will get their opportunity, this in time will enable the club to be a very formidable opponent going forward.

Enjoy your wins while you can, as I can hear the train (with a lot of local talent on board) comming in the not too future distance and it will take a lot of stopping when it gets to your station.

Stuyd,

Not being a smart arse back - but according to the NEAFL web site club lists, Aspley show 37 players out of a list of 60 from Aspley and the surrounding areas IE Kedron, & Sandgate playing at the club - Broadbeach show 19 from 60, this shows that Aspley are using their juniors and other talented kids from the surrounding areas very well and most when ready will get their opportunity, this in time will enable the club to be a very formidable opponent going forward.

Enjoy your wins while you can, as I can hear the train (with a lot of local talent on board) comming in the not too future distance and it will take a lot of stopping when it gets to your station.

Not being a smart arse either but in fact there is 32 local players on the cats list and another 9 who have been at the club from elsewhere for over 5 years.
Maybe you missed the local kids who did not play Broady juniors - bit like Kedron/Sandgate kids. juniors from Palm Beach, Burleigh, Cooly etc.
Has been a heavy emphasis on local players.
Not sure 4 wins is anything to get too excited over.

Nth Conference by 12 goals if it is sunny as the forecast suggests. If the rain stays, the margin to be halved. Wilson to win the medal (Zane Taylor?).

In the 21's, I expect a closer game. Given it starts at 9 and needs to finish by 11, I assume they must be playing 20 mins 1/4s with no time on.

By the way I reckon Reid from Aspley unlucky not to get a run. With Tyrell pulling out, Brewer could have gone into the open team and Reid into the 21's. Goes well I reckon.

I hope he does play well.....but simply dont believe him to be the best available ruckman in the comp. Anyway...what woud I know...lol...all I can tell you from what I have seen against the Vultures, Brewer;s effort back in round 6 , was instrumental in the Cats rather large victory. Would have had him ahead of Thurlow who was average against us in Round 4.....good luck to the kid..but really...????

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back