NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah - about the same population of Nth Brisbane:rolleyes:

population is not the point. they have many more concessions than any other club in NEAFL. if they didnt play finals there would have been something drastically wrong and they would have never enetered the comp. You guys are all boring me with your bashing of aspley. i will not respond to anymore rubbish on here. get over aspley and focus on your own clubs.

population is not the point. they have many more concessions than any other club in NEAFL. if they didnt play finals there would have been something drastically wrong and they would have never enetered the comp. You guys are all boring me with your bashing of aspley. i will not respond to anymore rubbish on here. get over aspley and focus on your own clubs.
Sorry to offend you BigE no real intent..........I just hate them and have done since I 1st ever came across there Junior club management and supporters.........Port Adelaide through and through..........but as I have said before(i think) love em or hate em, I prefer to hate em

dont get me started about the brown and gold jumpers.....:D

i laugh at people that say they have had problems with the junior management. that either means they're a farther and their son wasn't good to make it to the next level and they're just looking for someone to blame
Damo.......i can only assume you ment me........so in this case its the total opposite........but can agree in many cases

Draft;results today.
Bell to Carlton
Wrigley to Lions
and delisted lions ruckman Broc Mccauley to Hawthorn.Also, ex Southport player, Pfeffer to Port Adelaide.

Damo.......i can only assume you ment me........so in this case its the total opposite........but can agree in many cases

it's at everyone. parents have to much high expectations on kids. they have a couple of good years in juniors and they expect them to be high draft and when they struggle in 18s and than seniors. they look to blame junior management at clubs

it's at everyone. parents have to much high expectations on kids. they have a couple of good years in juniors and they expect them to be high draft and when they struggle in 18s and than seniors. they look to blame junior management at clubs

Yep seen many star kids get out grown at 15 and give it away by 19. Dont blame the clubs for that........

Damo,

In reference to your observation - I dont believe it is the junior club administrators that can be blamed for the talented kids not being drafted it is more so in Qld's case the development staff who play politics with kids futures, A perfect example of this has just been witnessed with the rookie draft today. It is not what the parents and others think - it is what the player thinks - no matter who cans them.

Lee Spurr was an absolute gun at all ages of his junior levels, played two sensational U/18 year's in the national championships - Vice Captained the Allies Side then played a senior year with Morningside, he got so frustrated with the system in Qld and the crap that was fed to him, he then moved to SA. He won the Central Districs FC Reserves B&F in his first year and has been a senior player with that Club ever since, finally along with many great game and after a blistering second half with Centrals in this years loosing G/F he has been picked up by Fremantle with their first rookie draft pick.

Most other kids would have given it away but Spurr had his point to prove - that was, he believed was good enough to play at a higher level and through this I recon he will, hopefully he will get elevated to a senior spot with the Dockers. Amazingly at 23 he still had that dream and a belief in himself.

It is those, including parents / administrators / coaches etc that give up on those players who have those dreams who ruin it for them by them also believing the negitive that they wont make it.

Any parent / administrator / coach who consitantly tell their kids that they have lost their chance to play AFL footy because they dont get drafted after their 18th year are kidding themselves - there may not be a Father Xmas for those kids who dont believe, but while you have you dreams of making it, you will always have your hope to be part of it. Well done Spurry and may there be many more like you who never give up their dreams and get to go on that ride of a lifetime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damo,

In reference to your observation - I dont believe it is the junior club administrators that can be blamed for the talented kids not being drafted it is more so in Qld's case the development staff who play politics with kids futures, A perfect example of this has just been witnessed with the rookie draft today. It is not what the parents and others think - it is what the player thinks - no matter who cans them.

Lee Spurr was an absolute gun at all ages of his junior levels, played two sensational U/18 year's in the national championships - Vice Captained the Allies Side then played a senior year with Morningside, he got so frustrated with the system in Qld and the crap that was fed to him, he then moved to SA. He won the Central Districs FC Reserves B&F in his first year and has been a senior player with that Club ever since, finally along with many great game and after a blistering second half with Centrals in this years loosing G/F he has been picked up by Fremantle with their first rookie draft pick.

Most other kids would have given it away but Spurr had his point to prove - that was, he believed was good enough to play at a higher level and through this I recon he will, hopefully he will get elevated to a senior spot with the Dockers. Amazingly at 23 he still had that dream and a belief in himself.

It is those, including parents / administrators / coaches etc that give up on those players who have those dreams who ruin it for them by them also believing the negitive that they wont make it.

Any parent / administrator / coach who consitantly tell their kids that they have lost their chance to play AFL footy because they dont get drafted after their 18th year are kidding themselves - there may not be a Father Xmas for those kids who dont believe, but while you have you dreams of making it, you will always have your hope to be part of it. Well done Spurry and may there be many more like you who never give up their dreams and get to go on that ride of a lifetime.

Great post snorkle.....:)I hope there are some young footballers from all over the country that take heart from your message not just QLDers.

Damo,

Don't agree with everything you write Snorkle but this is spot on - well said. Most elite level sport isn't about those who are good enough end up making it, its more about those who are good enough that stay in it will make it.
I think where many people get frustrated with some clubs is that the attention and focus goes onto particular kids who look like they should make it - those who develop slower physically tend to get left behind from poor sports clubs I find yet stats show that late developers make your best sportspeople - go figure.
I know I said many many posts ago on another thread that if I was a young guy these days in Qld and thought I'd been stiffed in the draft I'd be heading straight to the VFL, SANFL, WAFL - reckon there is very good odds now for anyone who performs in these comps to be drafted as mature age players. It will take time but clubs will slowly realise that there are many blokes out there at 20-24yrs of age good enough to get a kick at AFL level, just weren't ready at 17/18.

i laugh at people that say they have had problems with the junior management. that either means they're a farther and their son wasn't good to make it to the next level and they're just looking for someone to blame

Easy cop out Damo - agree it can occasionally be the case but there are also clubs (and wouldn't know if the Hornets fit this category) whose whole mentality / philosophy is win at all costs at junior level - this is just dumb thinking for junior clubs and can often mean that parents with kids that don't fit this mould will be unhappy. At the end of the day the subscription to play is exactly the same no matter whether you are a gun or a spud isn't it?

Easy cop out Damo - agree it can occasionally be the case but there are also clubs (and wouldn't know if the Hornets fit this category) whose whole mentality / philosophy is win at all costs at junior level - this is just dumb thinking for junior clubs and can often mean that parents with kids that don't fit this mould will be unhappy. At the end of the day the subscription to play is exactly the same no matter whether you are a gun or a spud isn't it?

Mside fair effort made the GF, 2 drafted 1 rookied + ex player spurr... pretty simple if your good enough you play senior footy there..

in drafts there is a few things you need to go right for you
A. stay healthy
B. play well when the scout comes to have a look
C. play better when the recruiter comes to have a look

[/b]

Don't agree with everything you write Snorkle but this is spot on - well said. Most elite level sport isn't about those who are good enough end up making it, its more about those who are good enough that stay in it will make it.
I think where many people get frustrated with some clubs is that the attention and focus goes onto particular kids who look like they should make it - those who develop slower physically tend to get left behind from poor sports clubs I find yet stats show that late developers make your best sportspeople - go figure.
I know I said many many posts ago on another thread that if I was a young guy these days in Qld and thought I'd been stiffed in the draft I'd be heading straight to the VFL, SANFL, WAFL - reckon there is very good odds now for anyone who performs in these comps to be drafted as mature age players. It will take time but clubs will slowly realise that there are many blokes out there at 20-24yrs of age good enough to get a kick at AFL level, just weren't ready at 17/18.

Smy1305,

Good point in regard to getting out of Qld straight after the draft, but unfortunatly most 18 year olds need stability and guidence, packing up and moving to a new State, Club and Structure would be very daunting for most kids, this clumped with the restrictions put on by the dream busters at the ***** where only a maximum of 6 interstate players can now be listed by the current SANFL clubs - I am not sure about the VFL or WAFL (this in my opinion is hamstringing their competition SANFL as the stronger it gets the the less people support the big boys and this is the AFL's way of restriction - where is the ACCC in this? talk about restricting the competition) very embarassing when 12,000 fans turn up to the SANFL game of the round and only 15,000 turn up to a Port V GC Suns game. So by this which is the better footy in SA? no doubt the AFL but the SNAFL is not far behind, less to get in beer is real, the food is reasonably priced and the standard is really good - no 50metre penalties where the umpire's can change the result of any given game. Has a lot going for it, it actually sounds like to me how footy used to played be until it was changed to make it easier for rookie search kids, athletes, basket ballers and cross country runners.

With that out of the way I hope the NEAFL keeps improving and more Qld, NSW and ACT kids are given an opportunity to show their wares and hopefully keep their dream alive.

I am well amused at the pre season banter/defense already. I think it is fair to observe that Aspley is well represented on this forum but at times the opinions expressed are somewhat biased for a club who has offered potential and hope at this stage rather than a demonstration of a successful club like Morningside, Mt Gravatt and Southport.
They were in fact the fourth youngest side behind GC, Brisbane and Broadbeach. Terrific mature recruiting will see them confident heading in to 2012.
All second tier junior clubs should be encouraging their better players to go to the state league clubs. ideally it should be zoned so there is a clear pathway and a talent development officer at each state league club to work with the feeder clubs. This would give incentive for clubs & AFLQ to spend time in developing kids in their area.
This is a small pond still in QLD and most people have unrealistic expectations of kids getting drafted.

I am well amused at the pre season banter/defense already. I think it is fair to observe that Aspley is well represented on this forum but at times the opinions expressed are somewhat biased for a club who has offered potential and hope at this stage rather than a demonstration of a successful club like Morningside, Mt Gravatt and Southport.
They were in fact the fourth youngest side behind GC, Brisbane and Broadbeach. Terrific mature recruiting will see them confident heading in to 2012.
All second tier junior clubs should be encouraging their better players to go to the state league clubs. ideally it should be zoned so there is a clear pathway and a talent development officer at each state league club to work with the feeder clubs. This would give incentive for clubs & AFLQ to spend time in developing kids in their area.
This is a small pond still in QLD and most people have unrealistic expectations of kids getting drafted.

have you ever noticed that a majority of the time it isn't aspley people starting topics about aspley and a majority of the time it's boring bullshit that really sounds obsessive

all clubs use to have a development officer in the state league. i think the afl has to look at bringing that back for all clubs

Well spoken Riodj....it makes sense to me that NEAFL Clubs attract the best of Under 18's coming through second division clubs...its called a pathway...and reckon Aspley are doing a good job and i have no doubt that they will be a real threat this year....time we all moved on...would rather be discussing who is going where....what other clubs have recruited well..rather than aspley who we all seem to know about.

What are the ramifications of todays PSD.....a few clubs lost some good talent....

Smy1305,

Good point in regard to getting out of Qld straight after the draft, but unfortunatly most 18 year olds need stability and guidence, packing up and moving to a new State, Club and Structure would be very daunting for most kids, this clumped with the restrictions put on by the dream busters at the ***** where only a maximum of 6 interstate players can now be listed by the current SANFL clubs - I am not sure about the VFL or WAFL (this in my opinion is hamstringing their competition SANFL as the stronger it gets the the less people support the big boys and this is the AFL's way of restriction - where is the ACCC in this? talk about restricting the competition) very embarassing when 12,000 fans turn up to the SANFL game of the round and only 15,000 turn up to a Port V GC Suns game. So by this which is the better footy in SA? no doubt the AFL but the SNAFL is not far behind, less to get in beer is real, the food is reasonably priced and the standard is really good - no 50metre penalties where the umpire's can change the result of any given game. Has a lot going for it, it actually sounds like to me how footy used to played be until it was changed to make it easier for rookie search kids, athletes, basket ballers and cross country runners.

With that out of the way I hope the NEAFL keeps improving and more Qld, NSW and ACT kids are given an opportunity to show their wares and hopefully keep their dream alive.

Yep - very true - probably should have clarified with living with relos or family friends down there. Wouldn't be advocating a young kid moving to Melb for example on their own.

Think the making of Sth Aust footy will be this recent purchase and set up at the Adelaide Oval - centre of the city, great ground, obviously cheaper for the 2 clubs. Will be interesting times for SA footy bc the Power is definitely in all sorts considering they were top of the world not that long ago.

Well spoken Riodj....it makes sense to me that NEAFL Clubs attract the best of Under 18's coming through second division clubs...its called a pathway...and reckon Aspley are doing a good job and i have no doubt that they will be a real threat this year....time we all moved on...would rather be discussing who is going where....what other clubs have recruited well..rather than aspley who we all seem to know about.

What are the ramifications of todays PSD.....a few clubs lost some good talent....

Maurie, Morningside now loose Bell to Carlton, Yagmoor to The Pies,Caleb Brown to Premier league and retirements of Gough etc etc may be the hardest hit.Am very surprised Hawthorn picked up Broc Macauley. Obviously someone there sees he has the ability to make it, after not setting the world on fire with the Lions and being delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back