NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Got a bit of an odd question for you fellow Northern Conference followers. Has anyone happened to notice the condition of your local club's playing surface? The reason I ask is that, I was walking past Redlands main oval the other day and noticed how poorly kept it is. I thought it was in fantastic nick for the northern conference GF, but now it is patchy, overgrown and dry. I don't believe cricket is played on that surface either. So I'm wondering is it just a case of Redlands not taking care of their ground, or is this the case at most grounds?

The surface has been re layed.

What happened to the rest of your post Snorkle, some midnight magic it was.... Had a few?

You got me there Mega, you know when you wake up in the morning like the movie the hangover - even I could not understand it (full of crap) when I logged on. Xmas parties do not mix well with footy switched on bloggers.

Cheers.
The very sheepish Snorkle.

Well Maroochydores oval is as good as any ground surface I've walked / played on ATM!! (in fact all 3 ovals are absolutely sensational). Had the Hawthorn boys running around on it this week and I'm sure they thought the same. Certainly a vast improvement on its mid year quality!!:eek:

every ground looks great at this time of year. but come june, july. most grounds turn into dust bowls

Except Broadbeach and even the Southport surface. Best surface in the league is Coorparoo, but not playing their now due to the asbestos in the grounds buildings/change rooms. when these buildings are renovated, I wonder if the facility will become /return to a home and away venue again.Must admit, it isa beautiful surface all year round.

what does eveyone think of the state game being replaced by an interconference game?
do we just say goodbye to 100 years of tradition?
atleast QLD country plays next year in ACC (a true national carnival)
should the grogan,joe grant and ray hughson now be applicable to the SEQAFL and the NEAFL start their own traditions....

what does eveyone think of the state game being replaced by an interconference game?
should the grogan,joe grant and ray hughson now be applicable to the SEQAFL and the NEAFL start their own traditions....

Interesting questions Speedy. My views:

1.I hate the NEAFL North v NEAFL East concept...why bother! After the excitement of last years event against an AFL powerhouse in WA, a game against the NEAFL East side really doesnt cut it. We should be improving our state games not down grading. Why not SANFL? Whay not WAFL again? Why not even Tasmania?....think it will prove less appealling than the Country Championships.
2. Happy for Grogan & Ray medals to become applicable. NEAFL North is only marginally different to the old QAFL - but with a serious lift in quality. Let the tradition continue and let Div 2 traditions to stay in with PC.

i don't like it. rather see a state game.

The ability to represent your state is one of the few individual honor players can claim. Ask any player who have represented there state and they would do it in a heart beat. Double that with the chance to earn all Australian jersey I think would be a real privilege. The game against east conference is little more than bragging rights! Has it's place but let's not take away the chance to represent at the highest level. Give me qld country any day!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dezario, ur pretty much on the money here. Obviously they have lost Zorko and Walton. Also some 3 or 4 players that were fringe players, not regular senior players, and Fulton.
Have recruited two highly rated players from Victoria, who are onballers and played at senior Vfl level. One of them played in the Alberton league for the past 2 seasons and won the club B &F both seasons and won the league B & F this year.The other guy was considered very unlucky not to have been drafted 3 odd years ago by Geelong. Apparently a good player.Obviously, the club has got these guys to fill the void left by the departures of Zorko and Walton.
In addition, rumours about Eagle going back to Shepparton United seem to be untrue and he should
be playing for the Cats come 2012.
Also. I would not be surprised if the Cats have a couple of other surprises , recruitment wise.
Along with their current list and the coaching staffs quality, I feel Broadbeach will be a big player come season 2012.
And watch big Mitch Brewer, still only 19, improved out of sight in 2011, gaining the attraction of AFL talent scouts.Foxy, the fitness coach has been working on him in the off season apparently with great results and if Mitch can improve to the degree he improved in 2011, I predict he will be a huge chance to be drafted.
Remember guys, im a Broadbeach supporter, so apologizes for talking it up. But thats what u do when u want ur club to have success.

Plus a good playing surface,voicing apparent removal of some dead wood around the club,a very easy draw and plenty of money floating around for recruits.Stuyd1 I would say the cats would be talking Premierships and would head to the break pretty comfortable with themselves.

Most clubs really taking steps ahead, Thunder still the benchmark, have signed some of the top ntfl players inc a guy (name leaves my head) who was the 2011 south adelaide sanfl mvp.

Ladder prediction atm:

Thunder- The collingwood of the league both in ability/fan base.
Hornets- Should take that next step
Vultures- Can see them improving
Suns- List improving and a couple more senior guys like mcqualter.
Cats- Heard good things but who have they signed?
Panthers- Rookie coach keeps them mid table
Sharks- Their pre season training group looks unspectacular
Bombers- Any news out of the bay?
Lions- Will be around the bottom despite their list improving
Tigers- Signed no one and lost Wrigley/Jones (top 2 in club mvp)

Most clubs really taking steps ahead, Thunder still the benchmark, have signed some of the top ntfl players inc a guy (name leaves my head) who was the 2011 south adelaide sanfl mvp.

Ladder prediction atm:

Thunder- The collingwood of the league both in ability/fan base.
Hornets- Should take that next step
Vultures- Can see them improving
Suns- List improving and a couple more senior guys like mcqualter.
Cats- Heard good things but who have they signed?
Panthers- Rookie coach keeps them mid table
Sharks- Their pre season training group looks unspectacular
Bombers- Any news out of the bay?
Lions- Will be around the bottom despite their list improving
Tigers- Signed no one and lost Wrigley/Jones (top 2 in club mvp)

Where has Jones gone?

It's my understanding that you are not able to rep your state 2 in one year. If so what will happen to the eastern conference guys who rep for that team does that make them ineligible for the country champs? If true act might not be the powerhouse it has been! Can anyone clarify this.

Good call chikka, after experiencing the NEAFL first hand last year there are no easy games. You must be on your game in order to win, anyone can beat anyone on their day as was proven in 2011.

Yes correct. come febuary/march we will see the final makeup of all clubs and then its down to home and away games.Still will be a ultra competitive comp.very difficult to predict the ladder so to speak.
The NEAFL DECISION TO ELIMINATE THE STATE GAME IS A JOKE.
Qld, over the years has battled to become recognized as a quality comp ,and this decision has not helped in regards to gaining more recogization as a quality comp.With Griffin and King gone, who is on the NEAFL board, making these decisions,...... I understand the need to promote the NEAFL concept but to take away the state level competition is just blindness. There are guys out there that love to be selected in the state side and take on the powerhouse of say the WAFL.

Yes correct. come febuary/march we will see the final makeup of all clubs and then its down to home and away games.Still will be a ultra competitive comp.very difficult to predict the ladder so to speak.
The NEAFL DECISION TO ELIMINATE THE STATE GAME IS A JOKE.
Qld, over the years has battled to become recognized as a quality comp ,and this decision has not helped in regards to gaining more recogization as a quality comp.With Griffin and King gone, who is on the NEAFL board, making these decisions,...... I understand the need to promote the NEAFL concept but to take away the state level competition is just blindness. There are guys out there that love to be selected in the state side and take on the powerhouse of say the WAFL.

Interesting article on Redlands website about new off field staff.

Regarding the state game. AFLQ has played against AFL ACT as the state game plenty of times over the years and to me this is the same but instead of calling it Queensland v ACT they have used the NEAFL names instead. Given the Eastern Conference has 2 more teams to draw players from, they may be a better match as QLD has dominated these games for a while now. They have not IMO disregarded state footy, and given the NT boys have been representing "QLD", to call it the NEAFL Northern Conference team is more accurate.

I agree that given the good showing against WA last year over there it would have been good to host them this year or even a SANFL but lets not get too concerned about what has been organised. The game against ACT or Eastern Conference is ok.

Sadly the state under 21's game seems to have been taken away. I would have thought the under 21's against the Pineapple Cup rep team would have been good and could be staged in Brisbane for little cost. They used to play the VAFA, not sure what has happened there.

Interesting article on Redlands website about new off field staff.

Seems like musical chairs. I am pleased Marty King has not been lost to QLD footy. He is a good bloke and passionate about footy.

Hopefully Millar once he starts, gets some content going on the NEAFL website. It is a shame that it has dropped off as badly as it has as I reckon it is a key tool in the running and promotion of the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back