News Nelson, Rotham partied up at Hip E after Richmond shellacking

Remove this Banner Ad

Control the controllables

Especially when things aren’t going your way

Players going to a night club doesn’t fit the definition and is a bad look

Either the guidelines weren’t clear or the players didn’t care about them. Maybe a bit of both

Also, who’s wiling to bet this was a one off lapse rather than a case of repeated transgressions that weren’t previously caught on a social media page

Standards from top to bottom have slipped and rather than questioning a few fringe players, harder questions need to be asked of those in charge who have overseen the decline

I dont think its a big deal in isolation (boom tish) but when you look at the erosion of care and professionalism we have seen at this club in the past 12 months, it is indicative of where the players heads are at and the standards expected of them. Irrespective of whether there was a direction not to do it (and it makes it worse if there was), when your team is being decimated with injuries and Covid and you have just experienced a footballing humiliation a couple of hours before, the last thing I would expect a professional footballer to do is go out on the piss with the opposition in the midst of a Covid wave.
They just dont care and it just a window into whats happened to this club and how far standards have slipped.

When you hear talk about champions it is mentioned how their preparation is ‘so professional’ and how they attend to the minor things.
Still I guess none of the players so far named can be called champions. And maybe this shows an attitude of not attending to the minor things that have helped contribute to their lesser status.

Rotham and Waterman have shown glimpses. Maybe now we get an idea why they haven’t gone to the next level.

People making these comments are forgetting that our WA clubs are at a different stage to the eastern seaboard clubs in the fight against Covid. They have been through it, whereas we are still in the midst of it. Of course, we are going to have restrictions in place. Nightclubs would be a definite no-no. The most stupid of morons would know this, you would think; however, reading these pages on BF there are quite a few with serious brain cell deficiencies.
Then there are those who attack the club just for the sake of it.
Just a hint, it is still around in the 'east'

This has to be the biggest smoke n mirrors garbage that has come from this clubs leadership in its reign.

Simpson and Nisbett have been nothing short of spineless in this.

Hardwick , a real leader, gets in front of his men when they stuff up , and deals with it behind closed doors, but Publicly is fierce in his defence of his men. Beveridge the same. In fact most quality leaders will protect their commodities..The players know they have their backs...not at West Coast though.

WCE head men left them out to dry.

These Players are not responsible for the clubs list issues... The coach and the CEO might have a greater influence one would hope. Yet they are letting these guys hang with threats and punishments.. gutless leadership that one might think deflects from the inadequacies of their own recent performances.... 80% of the playing salary is sitting in a rehab room , with some blokes contributing next to nothing over the past 2 years.

The club asked them to stay home, what employer has the right to tell anyone what they can do in their own time?? West Coast apparently think they can , even if they have an 8 day break.... The players association might suggest otherwise.

They did not Violate any AFL protocol . They Did NOT violate any State / Federal law pertaining to Covid or any other offence . They were not drunken or disorderly. They were not involved in any incidents that bought the game or anyone else into disrepute..... They are guilty of having their picture taken and having social commentary made about them , and assumptions made about their characters by experts.

They were asked not to attend by the club and did so anyway. But again what right does any employee have to demand that of their staff.

Interesting that the majority of the "criminals" were from Victorian. So when Simmo says stay home, they are at home not with their families like Adam and Trevor are. They in fact may well be at home alone. So spare me this crap that these blokes don't care for the club, they have far and away sacrificed more than any other Home grown Eagle , including Adam and Trevor , for this team.

In return these Leaders have thrown em under the bus, rather than addressing any indescretions within the club.......Gutless and spineless .... perhaps they should've given a bottle of Gatorade to a drug tester ... Adam was real supportive then...

Smoke n Mirrors from a failing leadership

You say they were asked not to attend but did anyway..

They will cop fines and the story will go away..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nice to hear from you Jackson

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nice to hear from you Jackson

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
at anytime in that post was his name mentioned?? come to think of it , at any time at this club has he transgressed in anyway in off field matters? You along with others have deemed him responsible ... it's easy to have a crack at the club whipping boy. The point of the post was that WCE hierachy are responsible for the fact they haven't had a team since round 1,that is what they are paid for, and you may think they are unlucky with whatever has come the clubs way, but here we are .. they run that show not the players..They have failed in their leadership, they didnt get in front of thier Players , they ran em over ... but if it's easier to protect Simpson and Nisbett ,then u go right ahead

The club has to get “in front” of these players at every post game presser! Simpson has to explain how an utterly inept and uncommitted group are going to learn lessons and get better.

He always refrains from saying that they are not at AFL standards in skill and preparation. That must be hard to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to put this into context. Standards and accountability are set at the top. That starts with Nesbitt and has a massive focus on Simpson as Head Coach.

Why should players outside of the best 15 get focussed when there are minimal non-negotiables when the side doesn't shepherd, the are directed to play bruise free football more on corralling and less on tackling, senior forward players are not chasing like they used to, senior defensive players zone off and refuse to pick up their man, senior midfielders wait for the ball top be tapped to them and at clearances and infrequently play hard accountable stoppages, senior players don't need to go through the WAFL and are allowed to build up general and match fitness in the senior games, etc

Until Simpson and Nesbitt make meaningful change, the spirit of the Eagles will be substandard and more junior players mighty start giving a sh1t.

How about criticising the senior players with young kids not making the sacrifice and staying away from their kids knowing that the play groups and kindergartens have the biggest spreader of COVID in the last weeks? Surely it is Friends as well as Family and Flag.

I am not mad and I would not get out the hatchet and act hard just on a few younger players who went to a night club.

The other point is that the brand of Simmo is so crap that I expect the team are sick of losing, sick of playing the same way and and looking at other options. And this has been going on since the bye last year so not just the last 2 months.

The club is in crisis and have been taking the eye off the ball moments since the bye (and possibly during parts of 2020 covid year
- diabolical losses to cellar dwellers Norf and Pies in 2021 that showed the club up
- Harry Edwards running out in a wrong jumper
- letting 4 players on at the interchange with only 3 coming off
- No list manager (or should I say an acting list manager who is located remotely and is double hatting it as recruitment manager)
- No knowledge what has happened to Vozzo - he is invisible and I suspect left the club but WTF knows
- No Football Operations GM
- Darling refusing to speak to the club about his anti vacc stand
- We have one of the biggest aboriginal players on our list yet we are quick to kill off the Indigenous Liaison officer
- A disaster of uniforms with Castore that sees players not able to wear their allocated number for what - 2 months!!
- Nesbitt playing Biggus Dicckus on Perth radio throwing our earliest draft pick since Gaff under the bus and then we end up with donut for him
- Continuing with the S&C head that left a trail of injury destruction at Richmond yet we bring him on and have Richmond type "Bad Luck"
- A CEO that refuses to put in place what football needs as he wants to present fat profits
- A Board Chairman who knows nothing about football and only wants to talk about the fuzzy stuff outside of football
- Eagles women's team with 3 coach in 3 years
- Eagles women's team earning a wooden spoon
- Eagles men's team looking to match the women in joint wooden spoons
- Michael Prior dishes up a game plan that makes our women's team look like fools, yet we back him in for another year!!!
- Tim Gepp back at the club summarises the depth of worry at the club (probably to chaperone the players to the US in their post season break)
- We tell Giro he is an Eagle for life yet we show him as one of our players in a Freo jumper
- The club stands up for appointing Shuey again as captain saying his hamstrings are just bad luck and behind him

I could go on but when the Purples from Cockburn in so many areas on and off the field are making us look silly, then a major change is needed.

The list is in a dire state and yet our CEO comes out and says the Pieman can stay as long as he wants to!!! The draft haul in 2021 was a massive improvement. Let me just outline why I am worried with our list
- 4 players turning 19 this year and have played a total of 4 games
- 2 players turning 20 his year and have played 3 games
- ZERO players turning 21 this year
- 6 players turning 22 this year and have played a total of 61 games with XON the "shining light" at the top with 18 games
- 6 players turning 23 this year and have played 155 games with Oscar the mainstay of this with 59 games
Let me repeat - the total number of games played by the players in their first 3 years of being on a list totals 7. Is this the worst list from a youth development basis? Yes, even Geelong are better than us at developing the youth.

Actions required
1. Russel Gibbs stands aside and we appoint someone as chairman that understands football not just shopping centres
2. Employ Justin Langer as head of Leadership and Culture
3. Trevor Nesbitt retires saying it is time to give way to a younger CEO up for the change (and no he does not join the board)
4. Appoint a new role of Deputy CEO who has 3 GM of Football reporting to him/her - one for each of the women's and men's team plus a Beagles/Development GM, and the focus is on football
5. Be bold and state the preparedness to pay the soft tax and agree on what is needed and not what is allowed to minimise AFL losses. And a Chair that will stand up and publicly show the AFL up where they have bad policies and practices.

I would personally keep Simson but give him the mandate to change the culture with higher standards, greater accountability and a team the supporters will enjoy watching the games whether we are top 2 or bottom 4, the brand will stack up. He has led the slip in standards and needs to own it.

Just as a reminder, here is the spine that Simmo has had for most of the games this year
FB Hurn and Barrass
HB Gov and Duggan
Mids Redden and Kelly
HF Cripps and Darling
FF Ryan and JK

Yes we have had problems but the problems are somewhat in our control but really just show the real problems at the club

Last edited:
at anytime in that post was his name mentioned?? come to think of it , at any time at this club has he transgressed in anyway in off field matters? You along with others have deemed him responsible ... it's easy to have a crack at the club whipping boy. The point of the post was that WCE hierachy are responsible for the fact they haven't had a team since round 1,that is what they are paid for, and you may think they are unlucky with whatever has come the clubs way, but here we are .. they run that show not the players..They have failed in their leadership, they didnt get in front of thier Players , they ran em over ... but if it's easier to protect Simpson and Nisbett ,then u go right ahead
Just putting it out there that if you go out on the piss when inappropriate and then are incapacitated at work for a week, isnt going to make you particularly popular with your boss/fellow employees.

Blaming your poor decisions on your boss is going to endear you even less.

So the photo of him there was doctored was it ??
No, the players are to blame they did it… put the big boy pants on and own it
nobody has denied he wasn't there.You are the clown who insinuated i'm connected to him ,with your really clever "nice to hear from you Jackson".You are a deep thinker aren't you... Its pathetic that you went straight to his name. A real leader of the lynch mob... be proud of yourself... If i was connected to any of em i'd be showing them more support than what the leadership has. Thats the point you moron. They will have to own it . Just like you should own your pre- conceived assumptions with your Big boy pants...

Just putting it out there that if you go out on the piss when inappropriate and then are incapacitated at work for a week, isnt going to make you particularly popular with your boss/fellow employees.

Blaming your poor decisions on your boss is going to endear you even less.
what they did was wrong. How the Club Leaders have handled this is the bigger concern. Richmond for example have had massive f@@k ups with Covid , and their coach stands in front of the media and defends em.. they handle it in house... WCE hung em out..

A club ravaged by covid absences can't have 7 of its players in a nightclub. Shows zero professionalism. I recall Bradshaw after one of their wins talking about the Dockers and how their players are doing all they can to avoid Covid, and specifically not being out on the town.
this is funny since i know for certain a number of freo players were out tipping back pints and smoking darts the night before a game recently.

what they did was wrong. How the Club Leaders have handled this is the bigger concern. Richmond for example have had massive f@@k ups with Covid , and their coach stands in front of the media and defends em.. they handle it in house... WCE hung em out..

Richmond were contending in 2020 when they were ****ing up. Of course you defend your players when you need to justify picking them to win a flag (which they did, by the way).

We're at a cross roads and this is the first public opportunity the CEO and Coach has to draw a line in the sand with standards and culture for the plethora of kids about to join our list, along with those already on it.

It's probably over the top given the scenario, but they're taking what they've got and going hard on it to ensure less transgressions in the future. I don't mind it, all in all, although the public consideration of players not getting new contracts was a bit over the top. That's a scare tactic from a frustrated CEO and I suspect eventually the language will be much softer when the dust has settled.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Nelson, Rotham partied up at Hip E after Richmond shellacking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back