Never Tear Us Apart...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the song that would get anyone going...imagine 30 odd thousand fans singing this before the bounce!

Lashing out the action, returning the reaction
Weak are ripped and torn away
Hypnotizing power, crushing all that cower
Battery is here to stay

Smashing through the boundaries
Lunacy has found me
Cannot stop the Battery
Pounding out aggression
Turns into obsession
Cannot kill the Battery

:D

I use to play that all the time prior to my games in Aussie rules and american football. Starts off beautifully and the instrumental high tempo ending had me ready to rip someone's head off, which I eventually had a rep for doing coming off the edge of the centre square at the opening bounce. Always legal. Just a hard hip and shoulder to set the tone and let the opposition know we were there.

I'm still trying to understand why this thread is even here.

Is it to debate whether their team would ever do it, or is it purely taking the opportunity to hang crap on Port Adelaide because we lost at home?

The song is something that has been embraced by the club and it's supporter base.
Why a supporter of any other team would be annoyed by that, is embarrassing IMHO.

I started this thread cause I saw it on TV and I liked it.

I just wanted suggestions on what other supporters thoughts are on what song their club could use a minute or two prior to the ball being bounced to get the players and fans fired up and rocking the place down.

Thats all.

I swear Port fans try to rewrite their history every few years based on what suits them best at the time.

1997-2007: They try to distance themselves as much as possible from the much despised Port Magpies. Trying to present themselves as a fresh new club.

2008-2013: They change their mind and heavily push the "1870" line. I've lost count of the number of times that Port supporters have said that the PAFC and the PAMFC were completely separate. They said Port were formed in 1870 and moved into the AFL in 1997. The current port magpies was a different club they said.

2014: Now all of a sudden PAMFC are the same club and they've been reunited with a club that they previously had no connection with.

They're making this shit up as they go.
Don't worry you have a great club song but if you want to do this your song is Pink's True Love ha ha

Hawthorn have used Joker and the Thief by Wolfmother as a precursor to the team coming out. Stoner rock lite it may be but it still sounds pretty cool.

Richmond were using Welcome to the Jungle which sounded awesome.

The SA Football Commission absolutely decreed the complete divorce of Port Adelaide Power and Port Adelaide Magpies operations - hence the Magpies' $1,100,000 relocation to Ethelton and joint marketing and joint memberships being forbidden prior to the One Club merger at the end of 2010. The only exception was the Magpies were allowed to hold a 25% stake in The Port Club.

Beyond that, nada. Both clubs even had to seek permission from the SANFL to hold a trial game at the 2009 Family Day.

So are you being disingenuous or were genuinely misinformed?

We both know that Port were never going to continue with the magpies once they got into the AFL. The other 8 clubs did not want to lose Port who at the time were the biggest drawing crowd and hence the SANFL helped create the Magpies as a separate entity. The magpies who became shite over the last 12 years (before One Club) went virtually bankrupt. (I grew up loving the magpies by the way) PAFC stepped in and decided they didn't want the SANFL side to die and went for a One Club approach to decrease admin costs. I don't blame them for that, it was a good move. I have no issues with the current set up. I just do not understand the need for the song as the words do not match anything in history.

I swear Port fans try to rewrite their history every few years based on what suits them best at the time.

1997-2007: They try to distance themselves as much as possible from the much despised Port Magpies. Trying to present themselves as a fresh new club.

2008-2013: They change their mind and heavily push the "1870" line. I've lost count of the number of times that Port supporters have said that the PAFC and the PAMFC were completely separate. They said Port were formed in 1870 and moved into the AFL in 1997. The current port magpies was a different club they said.

2014: Now all of a sudden PAMFC are the same club and they've been reunited with a club that they previously had no connection with.

exactly!!! Its just whatever suits the argument at the time.

a fail? Yes a fail which the whole crowd and port fans love. Do us a favor and grow up

when it's a focus of the national pre-game broadcast, with cameras intent on filming the crowd in a cringeworthy rendition of song not suited to the setting a footy match, my opinion is that it's a fail.

and opinions are the reason this forum exists.

Based on the comments in here you should all be marketing managers for the young generation who are the most important members. Its all about making the football a holistic entertaining experience and that incudes prematch. If you guys were in charge the new stadium would sound like crickets...Hmmm

Don't forget last year there was heaps of outside pressure for port to get rid of the magpies and have a power reserves instead. They said we wouldn't have a reserves team unless the magpies are out of the comp. We stood up for our club and now we have both a reserves team and magpies still in the SANFL. Thus again they will never tear us apart

when it's a focus of the national pre-game broadcast, with cameras intent on filming the crowd in a cringeworthy rendition of song not suited to the setting a footy match, my opinion is that it's a fail.

and opinions are the reason this forum exists.
So it's a fail because channel 7 filmed what we do every pre game and you don't like the song. Makes sense, you know you are a pretty smart person... Should be a market manager at Sydney.

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion. But when there opinion is idiotic then they will get called out on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That simply isn't true.

Brian Cunningham (CEO), Greg Boulton (President) and the board at the time preferred a model similar to what we have today, one club with two teams playing in the AFL and SANFL.

The SA Football Commission forbade this, resulting in the terminal compromise of the Magpies being exiled to Ethelton at great cost, the Power continuing at Alberton.

Both clubs claimed shared history from 1870-1996.

From 1997-2010 it was, not our choice.

Of course there was a connection. Again, not our choice the way that panned out.

No, there's a constant. You just don't want to listen/believe it.

It's a True Port Adelaide tradition.

We both know that Port were never going to continue with the magpies once they got into the AFL. The other 8 clubs did not want to lose Port who at the time were the biggest drawing crowd and hence the SANFL helped create the Magpies as a separate entity.

Erroneous.

The other SANFL clubs wanted the Magpies gone.

Port Adelaide wanted to retain a one club/two teams model - Brian Cunningham has stated on more than one occasion he did not want to deny a kid growing up in Semaphore or Largs the chance to play for the Magpies.

The ultimatum was to withdraw from the SANFL completely or create a separate entity wholly divorced from the PAFC operations at Alberton. Hence the PAMFC at Ethelton.

The magpies who became shite over the last 12 years (before One Club) went virtually bankrupt. (I grew up loving the magpies by the way) PAFC stepped in and decided they didn't want the SANFL side to die and went for a One Club approach to decrease admin costs. I don't blame them for that, it was a good move. I have no issues with the current set up.

Being shorn of revenue streams and your supporter base will do that. Let's have Glenelg based out of Hallett Cove at a cost of $1,100,000 with only 25% revenue share out of Gliderol Stadium and see how long they last.

I just do not understand the need for the song as the words do not match anything in history.

What don't you understand as the facts happened?

Port Adelaide wanted the One Club model from the start. The SA Football Commission said scrap the Magpies or cast them out - literally tearing the club apart. The club was finally cleared to merge back into one in 2010 as it should've always remained from the beginning.

Hence...?

Because your facts are by far wrong. Port did not want in any shape or form to have anything to do with the SANFL. I would read up on actual history before bullshitting to suit your argument.

Your timing's out.

In 1990 under the administration of Bruce Weber the club wanted to move into the AFL wholesale, at a time when Port would've had a complete League-Reserves-U19-U17-Zones structure in the AFL.

In 1995-6 under the administration of Greg Boulton and Brian Cunningham the club wanted to retain the Magpies presence in the SANFL.

Because your facts are by far wrong. Port did not want in any shape or form to have anything to do with the SANFL. I would read up on actual history before bullshitting to suit your argument.
I'd take your own advice.

Your timing's out.

In 1990 under the administration of Bruce Weber the club wanted to move into the AFL wholesale, at a time when Port would've had a complete League-Reserves-U19-U17-Zones structure in the AFL.

In 1995-6 under the administration of Greg Boulton and Brian Cunningham the club wanted to retain the Magpies presence in the SANFL.

this

I think history is blurred because people refer to the different submissions which had very different strategies and details

Your timing's out.

And under both models, it was one club. (The former with one AFL team, the latter with an AFL and SANFL team as we have now)

Only the SANFL and Crows wanted (and got) two clubs completely separate.
This is why the song resonates with Port supporters, and particularly don't care what others think about the song.

Crows supporters rewriting history in here is the precise reason why the song actually reflects our thoughts.

Port's attempt at this was just an instant manufactured and marketing fail.......and such a poor tune to sing in the lead-up to a footy match too.

The team has sat on top of the ladder most of the season, up from nowhere 2 years ago, to packed stadiums... with the greatest ground in the country.

And 47k people there loved it. And it's growing.

Yep, a miserable fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back