New AFL site (suggestions, complaints and compliments)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

sldavey

Debutant
Feb 24, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My name is Sandy and I'll be the official corresondent on behalf of AFL.com.au for its beta site and the 2007 rebuild of AFL.com.au.

To be clear, I work for BigPond and it is my Team and the teams of our external developers and partners I'll be responding on behalf of. I'm not responding in any official capacity on behalf of the AFL.

The following was posted to AFL.com.au in the area dealing with the beta site at 6pm (AEST) tonight.

---------------------------------------
We'd like to say a big thank you to the hundreds of fans that have provided feedback to us on the AFL beta site.

We’re going to keep this page (afl.com.au) updated so you can check back here for progress on the development of AFL.com and the incorporation of your feedback. The feedback we’ve received so far can be loosely grouped into two main categories:

1. General commentary on “I love it” or “I hate it”;
2. Suggestions for improvement

In the first category, we received strong views and that’s not surprising, given how passionate all of us are about our footy. The reaction is a 50/50 split of “I bloody love it” vs “Get this out of my face”.

While we love getting your gut reactions to design and layout, we know that’s a subjective area and we’re never going to be able to make 100% of you happy. Where we can make changes, though, is with the second group, suggestions for improvement.

Top Suggestions
We’ve categorised the feedback we've received so far and following are the issues that have attracted the most comments. During the next few weeks we’ll update this page and provide detail into how we’re addressing or incorporating your feedback.

So thanks again for your feedback and please – keep it coming. We know all companies are trained to say that they "value your feedback" but in the case of AFL.com.au, it's absolutely true!

It's important to note that first, the site is "beta". Lots of things will break but we want them to break so they can be totally ironed out before start of Season.

The second thing to note is the bulk of the suggestions below are being worked on as we speak and many of them are already known to us. However, there's a stack of really useful suggestions coming from fans that we're also incorporating into the Program of Work between now and March 30.

Cheers,

Sandy
BigPond Sport

Advertising
The layout and amount of advertising on sub-pages of AFL.com.au.

Broadcast TV Schedules
Loads of requests for more detail around the TV schedules for this year.

Load Time
The amount of time it takes, on average, for the homepage to load. A number of you think parts of the site have been made too complex as well and this could be affecting load time.

Game Day Live Panel on homepage of AFL.com.au
General comments around the look and feel, the functionality, countdown clocks, time zones, live stats feeds, etc.

Game Day Live Application
Most of you really like it but it still needs tweaking eg. Live radio needs to be more accessible, terminology needs to be rethought (eg. Pitch view)

DreamTeam
Lots of you asked where it was. BTW, it’s on the homepage where it was last year and yes DreamTeam will return this year with a new sponsor and bigger prizes.

International Login
The links to the international login were not working.

Statistics
General comments around the location and the amount of stats.

Browser Compatibility
Mozilla and Safari users affected.

Layout
A number of you are using widescreen monitors, larger resolution screens, etc and queried our decision to run a left-aligned site.

Video
A large number complained about having to be a BigPond customer in order to get video. In 2007, BigPond has opened up more AFL video than ever before, so to clarify, the following video is freely available to all Australian broadband users:
◦ GameDay NewsDesk (¼ by ¼ highlights of each game)
◦ Marks of the Round
◦ Goals of the Round
◦ Match Highlights (for every game)
◦ PanelShows (preview and review shows).

Search
General comments around where the search function is or that the SENSIS engine doesn’t work.

Re: BetaSite of AFL.com.au

Is this a joke?
An official of BigPond coming to BigFooty?
Sounds like a hoax.

EDIT: Maybe not - I'm just cynical and the whole thing looks suspicious - why should the AFL care what the fans have to say about anything but the draft?

All i really have against it is the over use of flash animation, it really doesnt need to be used for things like fixtures and the ladder. It hurts upload speed and makes the page look messey. If it was kept a bit more simple then it would be great. Stats needs an HTML option (gameday).

Hey Steve-O,

Yep, it's fair dinkum. I work for BigPond and I manage BigPond Sport of which AFL.com.au is one of our properties. I understand your cynicims; it's rare to see people from big companies in forums like these.

I know my development teams and all involved in rebuilding AFL.com.au are keen to receive feedback and for us to address that feedback. That's why I'm here.

Please note that that as I work for BigPond though, I cannot represent the AFL.

Best
Sandy

Can't say I like the format of the stats in Game Day live. I would much prefer to see Kicks, Handballs then Marks. It's just easier to read as thats the way it always has been.

So tell me Sandy, why have the round's scores been taken off the main page? The ladder is gone aswell. These are the two most important pieces information of the site and they are both gone!

Oh wait, I found the scores hidden away in the corner. Good place for it. No sign of ladder but I put this down to it being the pre-season. I hope so.

Video
A large number complained about having to be a BigPond customer in order to get video. In 2007, BigPond has opened up more AFL video than ever before, so to clarify, the following video is freely available to all Australian broadband users:
◦ GameDay NewsDesk (¼ by ¼ highlights of each game)
◦ Marks of the Round
◦ Goals of the Round
◦ Match Highlights (for every game)
◦ PanelShows (preview and review shows).

Just on that, has allowing non-Bigpond subscribers pay for replays been considered?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also Sandy, could you please list what improvements Bigpond actually thinks it is making to the site? We could critique these points and give feedback accordingly.

The main part of the homepage, the news articles, is too cluttered, there's too many and also too many ads. Basically the layout is poor.

Ok, 1 change that really needs to be made is to swap the postion of Audio and Video panel and the gameday scores. Scores are so much more important that bloody online replays!

Scores and ladder should be the first or second most important focus of the site!

The main part of the homepage, the news articles, is too cluttered, there's too many and also too many ads. Basically the layout is poor.

Very poor. So cluttered with all the news stories.

The last version of the site was superior, selecting the different news stories was quite well done and compact, and the ladder and scores much easier to spot.

God, if it ain't broke... :rolleyes:

I think the AFL should take a leaf out of the NFL website, which I find to be outstanding - www.nfl.com

Ditto flash. Web sites who provide content over gimmic are the best sites. Look at google or wikipedia for super simple, high content sites that just work.

AFL footy provides heaps of content so it doesnt need gimics.

Use good old HTML, Javascript and AJAX.

The site is very hard to read and not very user friendly. I liked the old format better .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back