• Andrew Brayshaw

Votes: 84 35.7%
  • Alex Pearce

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. That's BS. Shouldn't get personal. He isn't playing well some weeks most likely due to injury and our midfield is playing like Muppets most weeks putting him under extra pressure.
If he’s injured he should have gone and got surgery or whatever rehab was necessary weeks ago. He’s a complete spud at the moment and playing injured is just selfish and not putting the team first.
I agree that the personal stuff is nothing to do with his performance but unfortunately for Alex we live in a world where you are going to get that kind of feedback if you chose to have an image like he does. It’s pointless trying to fight against it. Darcy Moore doesn’t get that feedback because he’s the best key defender in the league. My concern is that when you in a form rut and chose to have an off field image like Alex - you are just piling even more, unnecessary, pressure on yourself to recover performance.

If he’s injured he should have gone and got surgery or whatever rehab was necessary weeks ago. He’s a complete spud at the moment and playing injured is just selfish and not putting the team first.
I agree that the personal stuff is nothing to do with his performance but unfortunately for Alex we live in a world where you are going to get that kind of feedback if you chose to have an image like he does. It’s pointless trying to fight against it. Darcy Moore doesn’t get that feedback because he’s the best key defender in the league. My concern is that when you in a form rut and chose to have an off field image like Alex - you are just piling even more, unnecessary, pressure on yourself to recover performance.
He does not live in a world where he invites personal insult for work related issues. That is just something arseholes are doing because they can and because they are arseholes.
We have no-one to take his place in the role he us playing, especially as Hamling has only just started playing well enough to be selected at the level and even more especially now that Cox is unavailable.
I get irritated by the plsying of injured players when there are alternative options that can perform well in the injured players absence. But that us not the case here. If Serong was doing it under the same circumstances everyone would be lauding what a real man toughy he is.
The personal vilification may happen but i don't have to agree with it and not call it out.. And the fact that many people accept it as acceptable behaviour will almost ensure it will continue unfortunately.

He does not live in a world where he invites personal insult for work related issues. That is just something arseholes are doing because they can and because they are arseholes.
We have no-one to take his place in the role he us playing, especially as Hamling has only just started playing well enough to be selected at the level and even more especially now that Cox is unavailable.
I get irritated by the plsying of injured players when there are alternative options that can perform well in the injured players absence. But that us not the case here. If Serong was doing it under the same circumstances everyone would be lauding what a real man toughy he is.
The personal vilification may happen but i don't have to agree with it and not call it out.. And the fact that many people accept it as acceptable behaviour will almost ensure it will continue unfortunately.
If you think you are going to control the internet by calling it out…. Well let’s just say it doesn’t end well. Just ask Gerald Whateley.
The best thing to do is ignore it and just comment on his performance.
To be honest I’d be happy with the following arrangement for next year in our defence:
Brennan Cox, Luke Ryan and Heath Chapman to play as the 3 tall defenders in most games.
Alex Pearce can come in for a very select few games to match up on the approx 10 players in the entire league that the first 3 guys can’t handle. This is dependent on (a) Alex getting some old form back and (b) him losing the captaincy.
The players we need him against are:
Harry Mckay
Tom Lynch
Charlie Dixon
The King brothers
Tom Hawkins
Peter Wright

That’s about it. For every other team, we are better off with Cox, Ryan and Chapman. Surrounded by Young, Clark, Wagner, Walker.

I watched the replay of Saturdays game. Where do you get the complete spud from? He was not in the best players but it was by no means a bad game. Franklin kicked 3 goals, one was a very soft free kick, the other was impossible to stop. He kept Franklin goalless in round 9.
WTF has his image got to do with footy? Who are you to judge another person's image?

I watched the replay of Saturdays game. Where do you get the complete spud from? He was not in the best players but it was by no means a bad game. Franklin kicked 3 goals, one was a very soft free kick, the other was impossible to stop. He kept Franklin goalless in round 9.
WTF has his image got to do with footy? Who are you to judge another person's image?
Read my post again. I’m not judging his image at all. I’m just saying if you think you are going to stop other people judging his image you are fighting a losing battle.

I am however judging his performances on the field where he was pantsed by Buddy at the weekend, a guy now more suited to an EJ whitens legends game than high level AFL footy.
Pearce is barely 10% of the player he used to be, he can barely kick the ball anymore, he refuses to use handball offloads to the speedy defenders we have and he gives away multiple dumb free kicks lately.
If he’s injured - go away and get fit.

I agree with you that who he is off field should have no bearing on criticism of his game.

If you want to give Alex a pass for not containing the broken down husk of Lance Franklin. Then you must give Franklin the pass for the earlier game when Longmire said he rose from his sick bed because the team had no one?

Alex was poor on the weekend, dropped marks, easily outbodied etc.

It doesn't help appearances that he has always looked like a new born giraffe when he moves, but when it is coupled with fumbles it makes him look spuddish.

He isn't a spud, but he is a player horribly out of form and not doing much to inspire on field as captain.

He was pretty bad though. I just don't rate him anymore.

Guessing a bunch of blokes with Commodores/club badges for profile pics thought that one was ******* hilarious.

Look at you going against a personal attack with personal attacks...

I thought it was funny but only the slashes in eyebrow point the rest weren't amusing.

He is completely out of form and for the sake of his reputation needs to go get surgery. The season is over and he isn't bringing leadership to the table. Let Andy and Caleb co captain on the weekend and the rest of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that you love him but this is an open forum and lots of players get criticised on BF. You don't jump to any other players defence only AP.

The real question you have to ask is why has Pearce regressed so much over the years? A few years ago he was being touted as the future of key defenders in the league, he was beating guys like Josh Kennedy with ease and seemed to have a real sense of aggression about him, nowadays he's as soft and docile as Longmuir, no sense of true leadership about him, he seems more concerned with his caramel soy macchiatos and hippy image than he does with winning premierships, he doesn't strike me as as true leader at all.

A leader knows how to push his team to be the best they can, he knows when to reel them in when they **** up, he knows how to utilise their strengths and hide their weaknesses, when I see Pearce in the huddle I don't see him as they type to say "Let's go out there and ****ing crush these campaigners", he strikes me as the type to say "Remember boys, as long as you try your hardest and you have fun, then that's what matters the most!"

He gives off big "Happy to be supporting her boys Mum" vibes.

The real question you have to ask is why has Pearce regressed so much over the years? A few years ago he was being touted as the future of key defenders in the league, he was beating guys like Josh Kennedy with ease and seemed to have a real sense of aggression about him, nowadays he's as soft and docile as Longmuir, no sense of true leadership about him, he seems more concerned with his caramel soy macchiatos and hippy image than he does with winning premierships, he doesn't strike me as as true leader at all.

A leader knows how to push his team to be the best they can, he knows when to reel them in when they * up, he knows how to utilise their strengths and hide their weaknesses, when I see Pearce in the huddle I don't see him as they type to say "Let's go out there and ******* crush these campaigners", he strikes me as the type to say "Remember boys, as long as you try your hardest and you have fun, then that's what matters the most!"

He gives off big "Happy to be supporting her boys Mum" vibes.

It’s an interesting attitude change you’ve noticed. For a couple of years, when he was at his peak: he’d push into the back of the defender, bump, make them uncomfortable with the ball 100m away. He looked super focused, aggressive, no backwards step and would spoil and intercept mark. The spoils were fierce and the forwards would need to earn a mark.

Now he does this weird thing where he pushes them left then right then left, like that dance move “flossing”. It barely shifts the key forward and they still take the mark.

I’ve noticed now he looks for body contact and doesn’t give himself a chance to elevate higher than the forward and spoil. He’s busy running to the back of the contest, misjudged the flight of the ball and is generally beaten one on one.

He’s being beaten by potato forwards as well, Ash Johnson, broken down buddy, he made Oscar Allen and Jack darling look like superstars. It’s very odd and worrying.

Premiership defenses typically have gun key backs who intercept mark and distribute well. We have Cox who is getting there, but is still a child mentally injuring himself skateboarding when he should be getting himself primed for the season.

I’m starting to think we need to pair Cox with a gun key back man. Sam Taylor comes to mind. Himmelberg is an awesome utility too.

If Pearce stays at this level, easily beaten and offering little rebound, we need to move past him. And it has to happen really really soon.

It’s an interesting attitude change you’ve noticed. For a couple of years, when he was at his peak: he’d push into the back of the defender, bump, make them uncomfortable with the ball 100m away. He looked super focused, aggressive, no backwards step and would spoil and intercept mark. The spoils were fierce and the forwards would need to earn a mark.

Now he does this weird thing where he pushes them left then right then left, like that dance move “flossing”. It barely shifts the key forward and they still take the mark.

I’ve noticed now he looks for body contact and doesn’t give himself a chance to elevate higher than the forward and spoil. He’s busy running to the back of the contest, misjudged the flight of the ball and is generally beaten one on one.

He’s being beaten by potato forwards as well, Ash Johnson, broken down buddy, he made Oscar Allen and Jack darling look like superstars. It’s very odd and worrying.

Premiership defenses typically have gun key backs who intercept mark and distribute well. We have Cox who is getting there, but is still a child mentally injuring himself skateboarding when he should be getting himself primed for the season.

I’m starting to think we need to pair Cox with a gun key back man. Sam Taylor comes to mind. Himmelberg is an awesome utility too.

If Pearce stays at this level, easily beaten and offering little rebound, we need to move past him. And it has to happen really really soon.
Nowadays being a defender who can't kick is like being an NBA who can't make a freethrow. You effectively cripple your team by a thousand cuts. They can ignore you because they don't mind you getting the ball.. that means theres extra pressure elsewhere. The zone only needs to cover 40m instead of 50 because you can't reliably kick to advantage over that distance. that's all before considering scores from your turnovers.

AP plays like a defender in the 90s but trapped in a 2020s hipster body. Basically needs to defend 30-40% better than a comparable kpd to make up for deficiencies with ball in hand. It's not helped by the fact that he's an average intercept marker. Also don't think we will see linebreaking AP ever again.

If you think you are going to control the internet by calling it out…. Well let’s just say it doesn’t end well. Just ask Gerald Whateley.
To be honest I’d be happy with the following arrangement for next year in our defence:
Brennan Cox, Luke Ryan and Heath Chapman to play as the 3 tall defenders in most games.
Alex Pearce can come in for a very select few games to match up on the approx 10 players in the entire league that the first 3 guys can’t handle. This is dependent on (a) Alex getting some old form back and (b) him losing the captaincy.
Harry Mckay
Tom Lynch
Charlie Dixon
The King brothers
Tom Hawkins
Peter Wright

That’s about it. For every other team, we are better off with Cox, Ryan and Chapman. Surrounded by Young, Clark, Wagner,

He was pretty bad though. I just don't rate him anymore.
Interesting the focus is on Alex and his captaincy and his form but no mention of the real problem.
A midfield rotation of Serong, Brayshaw, O'Meara, Erasmus and Johnson is the major issue.
Of the 85 stoppages in Saturdays game, Brayshaw had 0 clearances from 82% game time.
The Piers Morgan of AFL, Kane Cornes, posts some more of his unimaginative outrage fodder and the sheep react.

Interesting the focus is on Alex and his captaincy and his form but no mention of the real problem.
A midfield rotation of Serong, Brayshaw, O'Meara, Erasmus and Johnson is the major issue.
Of the 85 stoppages in Saturdays game, Brayshaw had 0 clearances from 82% game time.
The Piers Morgan of AFL, Kane Cornes, posts some more of his unimaginative outrage fodder and the sheep react.

The problem I see is the midfield is young and inexperienced. They will lose clearance from time to time. Including for 12 minutes against the swans, sometimes for a quarter against Collingwood.

The back line needs to be able to repel attacks. Sydney scored at 38% inside 50s. The league average is 23%.

Yes the midfield is not holding up all game, most midfields rarely do. Even premiership teams get scored against. It’s the ease by which the opposition are scoring that’s bothering Fremantle fans. It’s also the lack of ability to move the ball from defense. So we are not good at either defending nor rebounding.

Pearce is part of the problem in his current form, he is neither defending well nor rebounding. He’s never rebounded well, but he use to be an amazing stopper. He needs to find his mojo. On current years form he’s costing us multiple matches and winning us none. There is no obvious replacement on the list. It’s quite dire. He needs to get over these injuries and return to form. Hopefully for 2024 because this year is done. If he can’t, we need to invest heavily in a tall back man that can stop and rebound.

Harry Mckay
Tom Lynch
Charlie Dixon
The King brothers
Tom Hawkins
Peter Wright

That’s about it. For every other team, we are better off with Cox, Ryan and Chapman. Surrounded by Young, Clark, Wagner, Walker.
That's a great analysis and based on 2023's form and age profile I'd have to agree with you. Alex has shown a lot of good things over the years but drive is not one of his strengths.

That's a great analysis and based on 2023's form and age profile I'd have to agree with you. Alex has shown a lot of good things over the years but drive is not one of his strengths.
HTF would you know that he has drive?
Spoken to some of the people he plays with?
No somebody at the club?
If you knew him or spoke to people who know him they would say the exact opposite because they deal in facts and knowledge.
Your comments are evidence that you have no idea about his strengths.
Why? Because I know.

Remove this Banner Ad

News New Captain for 2023 - Alex Pearce

Back