New Captain >>>> Who should it be

Remove this Banner Ad

not Richo, that's for sure

But it is typical of our team to reward mediocirty, be it in contract $$$ or leadership - i.e they have been there while they deserve it

Long term Cogs is the answer, I have no doubt - maybe give him another season or 2 to concentrate on his own game.

For this season, Chaff or AK - they play with heart at least and are top players in their own right.

My vote goes to Chaffey. Has been the most reliable and consistent this year and has really done his job well, plus more. He's 26 now so age and experience isn't to be worried about. I have confidence he can take it on his shoulders and remain performing consistently.

Cogs perhaps is a few years too young, and hasn't learnt as much as the older boys experience wise and leadership wise. Not saying he hasn't been playing better than anyone else though. The guy's going great guns!

Chaffey, Andy Kellaway or Stafford. Any of the three I wouldnt mind to be captain.

Coughlan may still be a bit young as most have said but he will be, if we still have him, in 2-3 years.

Would love Richo to go to the club and say he's battling to try and get some form at the moment, the added pressure of trying to captain the team (which he's not up to IMHO) is not helping and he should stand down. Either that or the club give him the flick.

Would love to see Chaff or Staff have a "short-term" stint till the end of the season to see how they would do the job.

"Long term" - depending on when Cambo retires - I'd luv to see Cogs be the next captain. He leads by example, and with lots of kids coming into the team, who better to lead them.

I think Chaff, Staff and Cogs all show leadership skills - would be happy with any of those three.

All things being equal, and if you were to view our current side on the playing field with complete objectivity and no knowledge of age, inexperience etc.., then Mark Coughlan would be chosen as captain by most neutral observers.

However, my biggest concern in making him skipper is based on the old adage - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. He is currently playing brilliant football, without the weight of any formal leadership title on his shoulders.

Why burden him with a task that might ... MIGHT ... have a negative impact upon his game. Why take his mind off what HE should be, as presently is, doing week after week - getting and delivering the footy.

Mark Coughlan should not need to be concerned with the performances of those around him. That said, one day he will probably be the ideal choice.

I think we would be best served by allocating the captaincy role to someone who needs the leadership role. A player who might respond positively or even excel in the position.

We optimistically hoped that that person might be Richo ... so far he has not reinforced out wishes.

Personally, I wish the big guy would throw his weight around a little more than he does. Get angry at the opposition, rather than his own players or the umpys. Jackovich does it. Carey does. Tredrea, Hall and Lloyd do it. Richo never does and never has for some reason.

Ghost:

Personally, I wish the big guy would throw his weight around a little more than he does. Get angry at the opposition, rather than his own players or the umpys. Jackovich does it. Carey does. Tredrea, Hall and Lloyd do it. Richo never does and never has for some reason.

I would like to see him do that too, but I can’t remember ever him ever lashing out like that – maybe that’s not in his character. He is a head case (takes one to recognise one hey lol) – and he has always been my favourite player since he started. I hope he can go out on a high, whether if it’s at Richmond or wherever. If not for him, but for his old man who sits up in the stands by himself totally besotted with watching his son. Was sad to see him after Friday night’s game after ours and Richo’s display.

Why burden him with a task that might ... MIGHT ... have a negative impact upon his game. Why take his mind off what HE should be, as presently is, doing week after week - getting and delivering the footy.

Could it be also that it might make him play better, that it might bring out better things in him. I guess, that’s up to the powers that be to see whether he has those qualities.

give it to bowden!!!!! least at the trade table it would look good:D.

on a serious note i would give it to andrew kellaway for not only his efforts on the field but his refusal 2yrs ago not to accept a pay rise.
bout time we give due reward for loyalty.

cheers!

AK

AK or Chaff I would be happy with

That refusal of a pay rise by AK after a B&F and an AA selection speaks volumes of the guy, and every week we see him backing into packs and displaying courage by the bucketload and always looking to help out his teammate - him and Gas work really well together also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be AK,one of the few genuine success stories in the last few years. All Australian,brave & reliable.

Chaffey's work ethic is undeniable but I don't see him as an elite player.Has had a good year but never quite steps up when truly needed.
Without Campbell,Johnson etc you need your next level to step up for leadership.It may be the role he plays but at least 3 times this year, his opponent has really hurt us in last quarters of winnable games.

A bit like Tivendale.fantastic at times but never in the really big games. Sounds all too familiar,hey Joel?

Nothing more needs to be said about Coughlan except that it's a sad indictment that a 30 game kid is the clear & obvious choice.
Hopefully he's 2 years away from being a 100+ game leader.

Seth.

theres only 1 choice, coghlan, A.K is couraqge personified and always does the job, but there is an air abt coghlan, he truly is a natural inspirational leader..........

cast ur mind back to matty knights' farewell game against essendon last season when we lost by a point, coghlan WAS CRYING!!!!! he was so dissapointed he couldnt send off an icon of the club with a fitting win, when i saw that..it did it for me, this kid is a true tiger and our natural leader......

he will handle it, rest assured, give it to him now and i reckon if anything he'll prosper as player

Originally posted by GhostofJimJess
Did Miller appoint Carey as Captain ?

I would have thought it was Schimma or Pago ...

Pagan did, but it is beside the point.

Make the kid captain. Now. He hurts for your footy club and is quite un-Richmond like in his approach. Make him captain and make him an example IMO.

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
Pagan did, but it is beside the point.

Make the kid captain. Now. He hurts for your footy club and is quite un-Richmond like in his approach. Make him captain and make him an example IMO.

Could not agree more!

Remove this Banner Ad

New Captain >>>> Who should it be

Remove this Banner Ad

Back