New captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a bit torn. I think Jack would make a great captain but he went missing a fair few times in crucial games last year. Ditto swallow (albeit coming back from his injury). But Jack's had his injuries too.

Not sure there are any other candidates.

Hasn't anyone heard Brad Scott on sen yesterday. He talked about going through the process again (about selecting a captain). He felt that boomer was still around to teach swallow as a captain and so should swallow to a new captain.

Wether that happens this year or next, it's gonna happen.

All leadership positions will be looked over again. Apparently. Listen to the interview all.

It's all based on Brad's comments on SEN that it will be reviewed as it is done every year and that there will come a time while Spitta is still playing, for him to give it to a younger player and mentor him similar to how Boomer mentors Spitta.

But he didn't say this is the year to do that. They just picked up on a "maybe".

I think every club says this when asked each year just to make it clear that they aren't just putting in the same captain year after year without really think about it. They want to indicate that the captaincy of the club is something they're regularly reviewing to make sure that it's with who they deem to be the best person possible. Can't see a change this year as no one has really stepped up from the playing group and demanded the role, JZ hopefully does that in the next few years. Goldstein would also make a good captain I think but no need to change for the sake of changing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Goldy would make a good captain. His presence in the contest is immense, throws his weight around now too. Hopefully he's considered strongly.

Not sure there are any other candidates.

Not that I think we need a new one, but Cunnington would make a fantastic skipper.

He stands up and goes from good to great whenever he has had the pressure thrust on his shoulders.

Swallow goes down, Ben becomes the man...when the big games are on, he leads from the front.

I might be on my own here, but to me he screams leadership.

I reckon Goldy would make a good captain. His presence in the contest is immense, throws his weight around now too. Hopefully he's considered strongly.
He said in an interview late last season that he's one of the quieter guys in the team & doesn't have much chat on or off the field, just lets his footy do the talking.

Best player doesn't mean best option for captain.

I think the decision has already been made. It's probably the main reason why Jack got such a lengthy contract.

Problem with Ziebell is he is a man without a position in my eyes. If we had genuine midfielders (such as the 2015 draft crop), I think he would be a 2nd string midfielder and while we play 3 talls, he is in the same boat as Wood and Black in that we have so many small/mid options across HF that we won't waste that position on players not capable of providing defensive pressure.

I still think he is in the 18, but like a few players (Dal Santo, Gibson, Spud) I think if we have a fair dinkum think about pure structure of the team, there are reasons that they might not fit it.

Remove this Banner Ad

New captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back