News New CEO - Shane Dunne

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m talking about how he’s been regarded as CEO 2IC as the Chief of Marketing. Not that he’s got the job.

If he gets the job, I’ll then go nuts. He’s not fit for the role. Simple. Shouldn’t even be in the running.

If he’s stated to us like I’ve heard he will depart if he doesn’t get the gig, pack his ****ing bags.

There’s thousands of other Chief of Marketing people out there.
Post 137 tells me otherwise lol

Post 137 tells me otherwise lol

You quoted my last post that was just questioning how someone who is Chief of Marketing has been labeled by our club as the 2IC?

I do believe he has the role. Speaking to some I know. It’s why the reports from senior journos are putting it out that it’s down to three or two candidates but he’s favourite. I also believe that messaging is coming direct from the club. For reasons obvious.

Don’t really understand the too many jobs for mates complaints

Understand that a few would prefer someone external (me included) but some people are just saying we are doing to manny promotions from within when we haven’t had any except for Meehan two years ago

Yze, Zeibell, Newman* and Toce all external so I just don’t quite get the “another job for the boys” line of argument

I’ve had senior roles in top global orgs , know a bit about leadership Lloyd hasn’t lead an organisation he’s lead a footy dept bit like Blair Hartley , significant diff skill set
I’m not saying he couldn’t grow into the role , but me thinks we’re too large to put someone with training wheels in there ,
Agree 100 %

Don't mind us going with Gale's 2IC. Gale is by far the best CEO in the league, so anyone working under him would have learned a lot.
Given the timeline , most likely outcome, short handover, exactly like thevAFL, if they had gone outside , the handover would be longer, same at the tigers

Successful organisations do promote from within but they do so from a long way off. Tim Cook wasn't announced out of the blue. He was already COO and was tapped on the shoulder to be the successor of Jobs.

The one thing a lot of these successful organisations do with internal promotions is pull someone into areas were they will learn what they need to and then start a long hand over period.

Simon Matthews is the Chief of Marketing. For someone that is head of marketing his LinkedIn (his own personal brand) is woefully inadequate. It doesn't even have his history of employment.

Another thing that I would say is a black mark on Matthew’s head is the delay in decision. You can say "Well we wanted to do our due diligence and see what else is out there because we don't want to miss the best". Sure, that is an argument. The easy counter is that if Matthews was such a great candidate for an internal move, he would of started taking on more responsibility as soon as Gale had those early "I'm done" chats last year with O'Rouke. This would of lead to the announcement as soon as Gale said he was leaving. The fact that this didn't happen tells the world that whilst he may be considered now, he wasn't considered when it was critical.

Now you can reject that scenario. The only other real alternative would be that we have been asleep at the wheel the entire process. If this is the case then an internal promotion would be the worst thing we could do.

We should look to someone like Simon Lloyd (who has held a wide range of Football Roles) or someone who is already had CEO type positions at successful sporting organisations. A marketer is just a snake oil salesman with a more legitimate product but far worse morals.
Whilst I agree with most , I’m dissapointed with your comment about salesmen and morals , that’s a pretty broad brush you’re using to paint

If the club had started their exhaustive search when Gale signaled his intentions. ie when his house listed , we wouldn’t be scratching around 8 months later, smack of an CFL boys club decision , delay delay delay and you get Andrew Dillon

If the club had started their exhaustive search when Gale signaled his intentions. ie when his house listed , we wouldn’t be scratching around 8 months later, smack of an CFL boys club decision , delay delay delay and you get Andrew Dillon
Boys club decision with an outside company running it. Yep sure lol

Just my personal view lol
Fair enough.
I have a view that I’m not close enough to to what all the candidates abilities and accomplishments are. As well as the vision they have for the club from their role.

Thats why it would be an ignorant view if I was to discard a candidate just because they came from within the club.

In saying that, from a totally external view you would have to give some credit to those in the roles now in terms of what they have achieved. The financial position of the club and the way they resourced the years leading up to a flag from a football perspective was incredible. The questionable structure of the football dept now as well as the inability to act quickly and decisively on the redevelopment of PRO and subsequent cost blow outs is a concern.

Gale should be seen as totally accountable for both the good and the bad.

Fair enough.
I have a view that I’m not close enough to to what all the candidates abilities and accomplishments are. As well as the vision they have for the club from their role.

Thats why it would be an ignorant view if I was to discard a candidate just because they came from within the club.

In saying that, from a totally external view you would have to give some credit to those in the roles now in terms of what they have achieved. The financial position of the club and the way they resourced the years leading up to a flag from a football perspective was incredible. The questionable structure of the football dept now as well as the inability to act quickly and decisively on the redevelopment of PRO and subsequent cost blow outs is a concern.

Gale should be seen as totally accountable for both the good and the bad.
Sorry got to delete this one
No room for a balanced and thought out view

Melts only please

Whilst I agree with most , I’m dissapointed with your comment about salesmen and morals , that’s a pretty broad brush you’re using to paint
My history to be honest. Worked in sales during Uni and saw how the top performers would talk about their "kills". Additionally real estate agents are sales people and boy oh boy do I hate them as a rule. Lastly I currently work in a job where I research companies and every time their marketing team try and speak to me I just zone out because all they say is just designed to obfuscate reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question needs to be asked.

How is a Marketing person the 2IC to the person in charge of the club? Can anyone answer that?

How has this rhetoric been missed by so many?
As in 2IC too the Pres?
If so always thought it was the CEO.

Simon Matthews has been labelled by media and internally of our club as Brendan Gales 2IC. I am questioning how someone in his position is the 2IC to the CEO.
One would assume thats the ways its structured.
Pres
CEO
Marketing
then FD

Seems reasonable to me.

One would assume thats the ways its structured.
Pres
CEO
Marketing
then FD

Seems reasonable to me.
Yeah would just be an organisational structure generally the CFO sits under the CEO but would need to see the chart to say either way

Probably something that could be find in a general report or whatever if one could be bothered looking for it

Marketing seems fine to you to sit under the CEO before the COO and CFO who have a more wholistic look at the business other than just marketing?
Do we have those roles at the club? I’m having difficulty finding any info

Marketing seems fine to you to sit under the CEO before the COO and CFO who have a more wholistic look at the business other than just marketing?
Well put it this way.If thats the way its structured then obviously its been that for a fair while right through our success.So why is it now an issue?

Remove this Banner Ad

News New CEO - Shane Dunne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back