Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
New Draft Order

As the first list lodgement deadline has now passed, I've had a go at making an updated draft order based on all the list changes to date. Can anyone correct me if I've made any mistakes, cheers.

1 Carlton
2 Richmond
3 West Coast
4 Melbourne
5 Western Bulldogs
6 Essendon
7 Fremantle
8 Brisbane
9 St Kilda
10 Adelaide
11 Sydney
12 Hawthorn
13 West Coast
14 Melbourne
15 Kangaroos
16 Port Adelaide
17 Geelong
18 Richmond
19 Western Bulldogs
20 West Coast
21 Melbourne
22 West Coast
23 Essendon
24 Fremantle
25 Brisbane Lions
26 Sydney
27 Adelaide
28 Port Adelaide
29 Hawthorn
30 Adelaide
31 Collingwood
32 Kangaroos
33 Port Adelaide
34 Geelong
35 Western Bulldogs
36 Carlton
37 Kangaroos
38 Adelaide
39 Essendon (Darcy Daniher)
40 Fremantle
41 Brisbane Lions
42 St Kilda
43 Western Bulldogs
44 Geelong
45 Hawthorn
46 Carlton
47 Collingwood
48 Western Bulldogs
49 Geelong
50 Richmond
51 Brisbane
52 Melbourne
53 Essendon
54 Fremantle
55 Brisbane
56 St Kilda
57 Adelaide
58 Sydney (Craig Bird)
59 Geelong (Adam Donohoe)
60 Collingwood (Jaxson Barham)
61 Western Bulldogs
62 Richmond
63 Carlton
64 Melbourne
65 Western Bulldogs
66 Essendon
67 Fremantle
68 St Kilda
69 Adelaide (Taylor Walker)
70 Melbourne
71 Fremantle

Freo have 6 senior list positions to fill. We might hold one over till the PSD - but if we don't, would our next pick be straight after Collingwood's at 71?

Also - do you have a list for rookie picks also? Cheers. :)

Hawthorn to use three picks only.

Hawthorn had 5 free list spots prior to McEntee being promoted I'm pretty sure, although I only heard about McEntee after I posted this list, so by my calculation there's still 4 free spots on the list. IIRC Pelchin said Hawthorn would use at least 5 picks, so maybe there will be another delisting to come.

Freo have 6 senior list positions to fill. We might hold one over till the PSD - but if we don't, would our next pick be straight after Collingwood's at 71?

Also - do you have a list for rookie picks also? Cheers. :)

Ah sorry I thought Freo had 5 free spots. Yeh they'll have pick 71 but like you said they might pass on it and have a selection in the PSD.

I haven't done a rookie draft order as of yet.

Hawthorn had 4 free spots before McEntee was promoted so have only 3 now. Smith, Vandenberg, Thurgood and Little gone. Dixon also retired but was on the veterans list and Hawthorn hasn't got a veteran to replace him with, so they will have 39 senior and 5 rookies in 2008 rather than the 40 senior and 4 rookies that they had in '07. Will have the opportunity to upgrade a rookie later if they like, barring any issues like salary cap. HFC website is claiming these are the final changes ahead of the drafts (also Suckling being retained on the rookie list).

Richmond need 4 picks. We have 4 retired and 4 delisted, with 4 additions (Morton, McMahon, King, Graham). Gaspar was a Vet but Bowden will go onto the vets list in his place.

We originally had picks 2,18,51 and 67 but with the revised list the later picks will improve.

Can anyone confirm which retired veterans have been replaced (and by whom) on the respective lists? I'm only really interested in veterans who are outside the main list, not those who are "veterans - inside".

So far, I have:
Adelaide: Mark Ricciuto, replaced by Andrew McLeod
Brisbane: Michael Voss, replaced by ???
Carlton: Anthony Koutoufides, replaced by ???
Collingwood: Nathan Buckley, replaced by ??
Essendon: Nil (Hird was inside the main list)
Footscray: Chris Grant, I assume one of their inside veterans will now become an outside veteran, but which one?
Fremantle: Shane Parker, replaced by ???
Geelong: Nil
Hawthorn: Ben Dixon, no eligible replacement (?)
Melbourne: Nil
North Melbourne: Glen Archer, replaced by ???
Port Adelaide: Nil
Richmond: Darren Gaspar, replaced by ???
St Kilda: Nil
Sydney: Nil
West Coast: Nil, Michael Braun being promoted to veterans list (?)

You've left Collingwood off your list entirely.

Collingwood had Nathan Buckley and James Clement retire from the veterans list, but I believe that Anthony Rocca and Simon Prestigiacomo can both go onto it now.

You've left Collingwood off your list entirely.

Collingwood had Nathan Buckley and James Clement retire from the veterans list, but I believe that Anthony Rocca and Simon Prestigiacomo can both go onto it now.

My apologies. Fixed now.

According to the source I was using, Clement wasn't on Collingwood's veterans list anyway. In 2007 they had 3 veterans - Buckley (outside), Burns (outside) and Rocca (inside).

Presumably Rocca will no go outside the main list. But has there been any official confirmation of this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Retirements can be found here

That page is missing Rookie List movements.

Adelaide announced the delisting of Andrew McIntyre & James Turner, Archard having previously retired. No mention of them on that page at all.

The reason behind all of this is that I'm trying to compile a list of all the Team List changes. Some clubs have been good, others not so good (still haven't seen anything official indicating West Coast's rookie list changes). Veterans outside the main list have a bearing on the number of rookies which can be taken and the number of draftees in the national draft if they're not replaced by newly nominated veterans (eg Dixon at Hawthorn).

My apologies. Fixed now.

According to the source I was using, Clement wasn't on Collingwood's veterans list anyway. In 2007 they had 3 veterans - Buckley (outside), Burns (outside) and Rocca (inside).

Presumably Rocca will no go outside the main list. But has there been any official confirmation of this?
Actually, we're both kinda right - I think Clement was on the veteran's list, but inside the 38.

There hasn't been any official confirmation, but I think you could say with some certainty that Rocca will go outside the 38.

Geelong have picks 17, 34, 44, 50 and 62.

Note that they don't move up if other clubs have higher picks but don't have enough spots to use them - those other clubs just pass on the relevant pick.

Geelong have picks 17, 34, 44, 50 and 62.

Note that they don't move up if other clubs have higher picks but don't have enough spots to use them - those other clubs just pass on the relevant pick.

Pretty sure that's wrong. If you look at the draft last year Port had (and used) picks 83 and 86, now given last year no picks higher than #59 were traded, the only way they could have had picks that close together is if all the clubs' picks who had no list space to utilise the picks weren't included in the official draft order.

Can anyone confirm which retired veterans have been replaced (and by whom) on the respective lists? I'm only really interested in veterans who are outside the main list, not those who are "veterans - inside".
Nigel Lappin is our only veteran and is outside the main list.

I'm pretty sure West Coast have promoted McNamara and Chad Jones while delisting all other rookies (Thornton, Wilkes, Spaandaman and Sharp) while adding Ryan Davis who's our NSW rookie player.

http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=52893

Thanks for that link Macca. Gave me all the information I was after.

Anyone notice the mistake on West Coast's team list? They have Braun listed as a "veteran - outside list" and still have 6 rookie positions available. Shouldn't that be reduced to 5 rookie positions, now that they have an outside veteran?

So, by my calculations, we have a total of 69 possible selections in the National Draft and 58 in the Rookie Draft.

Thanks for that link Macca. Gave me all the information I was after.

Anyone notice the mistake on West Coast's team list? They have Braun listed as a "veteran - outside list" and still have 6 rookie positions available. Shouldn't that be reduced to 5 rookie positions, now that they have an outside veteran?

So, by my calculations, we have a total of 69 possible selections in the National Draft and 58 in the Rookie Draft.

No worries.

By my count (see OP) there's 71 selections in the National Draft including F/S and scholarship players. Where have I messed up :confused:

By my understanding, here's the way things look now:

Adelaide: 10, 27, 30, 38, 57, 69 (Taylor Walker - NSW Scholarship)
Brisbane: 8, 25, 41, 51, 55
Carlton: 1 (PP), 36, 46, 63
Collingwood: 31, 47, 60 (Jaxson Barham - F/S)
Essendon: 6, 23, 39 (Darcy Daniher - F/S), 53, 66
Footscray: 5, 19, 35, 43, 48, 61, 65
Fremantle: 7, 24, 40, 54, 67, 71
Geelong: 17, 34, 44, 49, 59 (Adam Donohue - F/S)
Hawthorn: 12, 29, 45
Melbourne: 4, 14, 21, 52, 64, 70
North Melbourne: 15, 32, 37
Port Adelaide: 16, 28, 33
Richmond: 2, 18 (PP), 50, 62
St Kilda: 9, 42, 56, 68
Sydney: 11, 26, 58 (Craig Bird - NSW Scholarship)
West Coast: 3, 13, 20, 22

Or alternatively, in list form:
Pick # Club Round
1 Carlton PP
2 Richmond R1
3 West Coast R1
4 Melbourne R1
5 Footscray R1
6 Essendon R1
7 Fremantle R1
8 Brisbane R1
9 St Kilda R1
10 Adelaide R1
11 Sydney R1
12 Hawthorn R1
13 West Coast R1
14 Melbourne R1
15 North Melbourne R1
16 Port Adelaide R1
17 Geelong R1
18 Richmond PP
19 Footscray R2
20 West Coast R2
21 Melbourne R2
22 West Coast R2
23 Essendon R2
24 Fremantle R2
25 Brisbane R2
26 Sydney R2
27 Adelaide R2
28 Port Adelaide R2
29 Hawthorn R2
30 Adelaide R2
31 Collingwood R2
32 North Melbourne R2
33 Port Adelaide R2
34 Geelong R2
35 Footscray R3
36 Carlton R3
37 North Melbourne R3
38 Adelaide R3
39 Essendon R3 Darcy Daniher (Father/Son)
40 Fremantle R3
41 Brisbane R3
42 St Kilda R3
43 Footscray R3
44 Geelong R3
45 Hawthorn R3
46 Carlton R3
47 Collingwood R3
48 Footscray R3
49 Geelong R3
50 Richmond R4
51 Brisbane R4
52 Melbourne R4
53 Essendon R4
54 Fremantle R4
55 Brisbane R4
56 St Kilda R4
57 Adelaide R4
58 Sydney R4 Craig Bird (NSW Scholarship)
59 Geelong R4 Adam Donohue (Father/Son)
60 Collingwood R4 Jaxson Barham (Father/Son)
61 Footscray R4
62 Richmond R5
63 Carlton R5
64 Melbourne R5
65 Footscray R5
66 Essendon R5
67 Fremantle R5
68 St Kilda R5
69 Adelaide R5 Taylor Walker (NSW Scholarship)
70 Melbourne R6
71 Fremantle R6

Remove this Banner Ad

New Draft Order?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back