New Dream Team Board structure boring

Remove this Banner Ad

All good points there 54Dogs,

I'd just like to say that the threads you mentioned, "I love Bartel" or "The official %#@* you Heath Shaw" Threads, are the ones that shouldn't have been lost.

These are the threads that bring up discussion between all types of Dream Teamer's on Bigfooty, and they are interesting.

The ones that we have gotten rid of, are the useless ones, the ones like "1 Trade Left, No Cash, Help?" or "Who should I get for Mitch Brown". These threads that we have eliminated from the board were usless, and I congratulate all the mods, and most of all 54Dogs, for doing a good job.

Maybe a step back would be the best option.

TBH, I've really enjoyed using this board all season, and I use the DT board most out of any board on Bigfooty. It's probably even my most visited website. The Player Sub-Board is very good, and it's very informative.

This board has taken a turn for the better, that is for sure.

All good points there 54Dogs,

I'd just like to say that the threads you mentioned, "I love Bartel" or "The official %#@* you Heath Shaw" Threads, are the ones that shouldn't have been lost.

These are the threads that bring up discussion between all types of Dream Teamer's on Bigfooty, and they are interesting.

The ones that we have gotten rid of, are the useless ones, the ones like "1 Trade Left, No Cash, Help?" or "Who should I get for Mitch Brown". These threads that we have eliminated from the board were usless, and I congratulate all the mods, and most of all 54Dogs, for doing a good job.

Maybe a step back would be the best option.

TBH, I've really enjoyed using this board all season, and I use the DT board most out of any board on Bigfooty. It's probably even my most visited website. The Player Sub-Board is very good, and it's very informative.

This board has taken a turn for the better, that is for sure.
I think that I agree with the bolded to an extent but they regularly became full of "ZOMG JimMY BarTl iZ gUd:thumbsu::):D:eek:;):cool:" and "I need you to score 70 in the next 10 minutes to win my league match" or conversation about who was better in the Melbourne v Richmond match. OK it allowed people to get their Jimmy manlove off their chest (which the gameday scores and chat thread can do equally) but the good information is lost between the crap; particulary so if Jim started slow and posters would move from hate to love within 3 posts (or more likely 30).

What interesting discussion did you want to put in the "I love Bartel thread" that you can't put in the Jimmy Bartel thread on the players subforum?

With help I found a number of good DTers who were also good contributory posters on the board and created the No Passengers group.

This, for mine, appears to have been the single change that resulted in the most significant loss of quality discussion from the main DT board for the masses.

The No Passengers mindset of educating people to become better DTers was heavily encouraged by me.

When I first discovered BigFooty in 2007, I felt that the discussions on strategy by senior members were invaluable in educating people to become better DTers (e.g. this thread). Following the formation of the NP group last year, the masses were still thrown a few bones from the discussions occuring among the group.

However, I no longer see that the same quality in the ongoing discussion on the main board. I also don't see what incentive there is for NP members to initiate such discussion on the main board. This is a shame, because I think it also means that there is less incentive or opportunity for non-NP members to contribute to such discussions.

This, for mine, appears to have been the single change that resulted in the most significant loss of quality discussion from the main DT board for the masses.

Not sure if you checked out the main board during the preseason, but there was a massive amount of effort by the NP members and the masses.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446344

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547255

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515953

Then NP members still post in relevant threads were possible, but it seems that during the year most people become egocentric with regards to DT. It is normally during the offseason that information is free flowing and the foundations for the new year are set in place.

EDIT: Sometimes life and the real world get in the way of posting online, work, kids, holidays, uni....

If you can think of a thread which might help ojeriojo, then feel free to PM someone from NP, ask for the thread in here. Sometimes it is hard to know what information has not been covered and what people would like to know at this time of the year.

Not sure if you checked out the main board during the preseason, but there was a massive amount of effort by the NP members and the masses.

True, and I am probably looking at previous years with rose-tinted glasses. But I still recall some good threads appearing last year from NP member discussions (e.g. one on correlations between players in the same team).

Then NP members still post in relevant threads were possible, but it seems that during the year most people become egocentric with regards to DT.

I am not saying that NP members don't try hard enough, or for that matter that the rest of us have any right to be educated by them. I am just pointing out that there appears to be less incentive for them to initiate discussion in the general forum frequented by casual DTers. This was, presumably, the whole point of starting the NP group in the first place (i.e. to improve the quality of discussion), but IMO the separation naturally tends towards becoming self-reinforcing.

A possible by-product is that there is also less incentive for serious DTers that are not NP members to be attracted, or contribute, to discussion on the general board during the season. Personally, I have found that I am now more drawn to the Players sub-forum, which I think is a good innovation in its own right.

A possible by-product is that there is also less incentive for serious DTers that are not NP members to be attracted, or contribute, to discussion on the general board during the season. Personally, I have found that I am now more drawn to the Players sub-forum, which I think is a good innovation in its own right.

I cannot speak for all members of the NP group, but after the preseason, I hit a serious wall. Behind the scenes there is a little project in place, which I hope some results will be posted, some time in the near future.
(Hoping the points for discussion will be valid)

The main board I find is normally general chit chat, it is hard to have an in-depth discussion, everyone is focused on their team and their results. (General public and NP members alike)

Like yourself, I've been drawn to the Players sub-forum, I enjoy the level of discussion, because it is focused on a number of key DT factors.

• Durability
  • Scoring
  • Value
  • Timing
  • Trading
These factors are a common theme throughout the season.

It has been a great resource and point for research. I've caught myself once or twice seeing a name mentioned and wondering, what made this person contemplate this player.

This then means that I've spent time researching that player as an option. I've been a victim of narrow vision at times, I must get Lockyer, Goddard, Enright,...... in my backline. Sometimes this does not open your eyes to value selections, Milburn, Doughty....

(Derailed)

Sorry, completely going off topic. Personally, I attempt to still support the main board as much as possible. I owe a lot of my knowledge to many posters on this board, it has really opened up my eyes to another level of discussion.

When you view DT in a semi obsessive way, you sometimes lose vision of the way a casual DT'er enjoys a forum. This is why it is important for as many people post their thoughts as possible, especially the casual DT'er so it can cater for their needs.

Maybe my rose coloured glasses are on, but I find the DT board a great resource and a lot easier to read than in previous years. Still nothing in life is perfect, so it can always improve.

I'll qualify this post straight up by stating I strongly prefer the SC competition over DT.

But when it comes to the boards on each, I far prefer the new DT board structure. I've noticed in the last few months the change that has occured to the DT board and have to say how much better it is than the SC one.

I've found myself thinking over the last few weeks, are DT'ers smarter than SC'ers? The quality of some of the discussions on the DT board far outweighs the quality of discussion on the SC board. There is a distinguishable lack of quality discussion on the SC board at the moment which I have found to be frustrating. Seeing thread after thread such as "Hodge v Gilbee" I find to be boring rather than the current DT board structure.

I have had a go at a few posters on the SC board lately because of new irrelevant threads created. I guess it would be great to have some quality discussion on SC such as the discussion on DT.

Perhaps there needs to be two separate boards for each of DT and SC. One to be a No Passengers type board where tactics and philosophies are discussed, and one where people can post whatever threads they like.

I agree. The dreamteam board has lost it's way.

Mods trying to keep it succinct and simple have in effect made it a pretty dull place.

I honestly can't see the big deal of having threads about players pop up where necessary. Like a "are you keeping Hartlett". i'm not going to go searching through a seperate players forum just in the hope that someone has posted something along these lines under the said player.

Re - are you keeping hartlett Thread?

This is exactly what the players board is for - go there and request a thread on hartlett, one will be made, and then discuss away. Means that we dont end up with 3 thread on hartlett for the year (one when he cracks the team, one when he is first injured, one when he is second injured....plus all the new ones that will pop up next year) that clog up the main board. Instead, it allows all this information and discussion to be collected in one point - for future references especially - giving it easy access and taking away all the unrelated discussion.

Isnt that a reasonable solution? I think it works perfectly, but thats just me.

I think the new structure has its ups and downs.

When your looking to find info on a certain player and a thread is already up its great because you can find out what everyone has to say about the player and maybe what they said a bit earlier on in the season without having to go though 20pages of stuff to find what you need because only the people that are intrested in that player post in the thread.

But i think there is a bit missing with not as many new threads just on the main board, i used to enjoy seeing a fair few new threads popping up each day on different things and then hopefully say something useful to help the person out/ finding something useful but now i dont find myself posting much at all or opening threads because they are all so big and i cant really be bothered reading it all.

That may just be because im lazy or my team is already set and i dont need to find out as much so im not out posting as much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

New Dream Team Board structure boring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back