New facilities at Springfield - update: Federal funding under review

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just the one simple (I think) question from me:

Will moving to Springfield ensure our future stability financially to turn our huge losses into profits and allow us to spend money wherever/whenever it is needed?

This is what it comes down to for me too.

I also don't believe there is an actual conflict of interest that is not able to be managed and have Sharpless remain as Chair.

But the problem is that every time Sharpless opens his mouth and the words "Brisbane Lions" and "Springfield" comes out, it feels dirty. That's the perception, which is just as damaging as an actual conflict.

I was willing to wear the argument of "Springfield was a decision made by the previous board" to counter accusations that Sharpless was conflicted. While not ideal, it was acceptable from a legal and ethical perspective.

But now, knowing that the existing deal is effectively off the table due to a funding decision, how can he possibly be involved in any negotiation, decision or public communication concerning the extension or variation of that existing deal? He needs to come out and completely distance himself from the process. Instead, he remains the biggest cheerleader for the Springfield-Lions partnership. That stinks.

Does the club really need 2 training fields at the new base? Maybe if we compromise to only having 1 field we can stay in the Brisbane area.

I don't think space is the real issue (considering the first phase only has one field). The peppercorn land agreement on the face of it is the big drawcard.

I don't think space is the real issue (considering the first phase only has one field). The peppercorn land agreement on the face of it is the big drawcard.

As well as the elephant in the room - the likelihood that we'll be able to put in a second licensed gaming venue in a growth area.

So the current proposal has benefits on both the cost and revenue sides of the ledger.

As well as the elephant in the room - the likelihood that we'll be able to put in a second licensed gaming venue in a growth area.

So the current proposal has benefits on both the cost and revenue sides of the ledger.

Was just about to edit that in... heh!

FWIW, I still think Springfield is the best deal we're probably going to see. It might feel like sleeping with the devil but I reckon it still stacks up financially a whole lot better than other ideas (although Burpengary clearly shouldn't be dismissed so rapidly).

I believe Sharpless made the comments as a negotiating tactic for both the GABBA contract renegotiations and our attempt to get governments to put money into Springfield.

I definitely wouldn't take it as any serious attempt to play any games in Springfield anytime soon (i.e. the next 10 years). But it does show a sense of being out of touch with the membership base that he could so flippantly raise the issues without being very careful with his words. He seems out of touch both with the level of concern over his conflict of interest and with Springfield in general. Having said that, I personally still think Springfield is probably the best / most likely outcome we can hope for in terms of our training base.

At the end of the day, a decision to play any premiership season home games away from the GABBA in the future should only be made with the support of an overwhelming majority of Lions members. At the moment, that would rely on the Board acting appropriately to canvass member's opinions.

It is another reason why I think it is important - in the long term - that the core characteristics that make the Brisbane Lions OUR CLUB such as our name, colours, basic jumper parameters, song, location, where we play home games and our Club's heritage, are actually recognised and enshrined in our constitution (which requires a 75% of voting members to change).

Burpen-spring-*******-gary-field!!!!

Seriously though, if the Springfield case is such an obvious, open-and-shut panacea that any sane and independent director would get behind (and I am not saying it isn't), why did Angus Johnson only step down once the AFL arranged for another high ranking Springfield official to be parachuted onto not only the board, but directly into the chairmanship (immediately holding the casting vote that comes with it).

Tassie, you can patronise people all you want for their opposition to the Springfield project (although ironically your opposition to Burpen*******gary seems far less substantiated than theirs), but you don't have to be a 9/11 truther to think something whiffs about the machinations behind all this. Perception counts for a lot.

I still think the project ticks a few boxes but part of me feels like we are being taken a little bot for a ride and that the "best interests of the club" aren't the only criteria driving the project.

I see the hardline pro-Springfielders and the hardline anti-Springfielders as equally strange at this point. I think healthy skepticism is in order, especially with a board that has had, and continues to have, transparency issues

From where I sit, in cosy semi-inner city, 2014, both Burpen-***ing-Gary and Springfield seem equally unpalatable [admittedly, Springfield marginally less so], even slightly ridiculous.

But then I haven't done the research into available locations. Maybe I am unduly optimistic in hoping someone has and has come up with some serious options which the Board has and apparently still is considering.

And, unlike the Board, I am not required to think beyond this and maybe next season.

I admit that having the Chair retain a business interest is not a good look, but perhaps this is unavoidable what you get when business types are elected to any board. Put it this way, I wonder where Eddie's business interests begin and end.

If anyone on the Board reckoned Sharples was acting in a dodgy manner I daresay strategic leaks would sort this out in no time flat.

I do know this- we need to move beyond Coorparoo as a matter of urgency.

Doesn't Giffin Park already have two grounds?

Yeah but **** all room for anything else even if you discount all the other development, flooding and economic barriers that come with Giffin Park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't Giffin Park already have two grounds?

Yeah, but as much as it would be awesome to have Giffin Park done up all awesome-like and live there happily ever after, it simply isn't fessable.

That's not to say that if I were to win lotto I wouldn't at least try to bribe the Council into letting me do it up a little, whether the Lions stayed there or not.

Malcolm walking with a pooper scooper behind Bob Sharpless.
I suspect one is a good operator and one sounds like a good operator. Unfortunately, we kind need both attributes in at least one bloke.

I like Springfield to be honest and think the training/nab facilities proposed are awesome. The housing estates look really good and it is a great location for families.

That said, the gabba is our stadium and it is perfectly reasonable to have both Springfield as the training grounds/facilities the gabba as the slaughterhouse/gabbatoir in my opinion.

We might play pre season games at Springfield. But no way we would play a H&A game.

Digging into the conspiracy side what benefits does the AFL see from having another Springfield affiliated chairman at the Brisbane Lions? The whole "new board" is beginning to look like a band aid on a severed arm. Were they so desperate to avoid an EGM that they were happy to compromise with Angus that his business partner be his replacement or is there something more to it?

Digging into the conspiracy side what benefits does the AFL see from having another Springfield affiliated chairman at the Brisbane Lions? The whole "new board" is beginning to look like a band aid on a severed arm. Were they so desperate to avoid an EGM that they were happy to compromise with Angus that his business partner be his replacement or is there something more to it?

I suspect the AFL were pretty excited by the ALP government's agreement to put in 15 million bucks on Springfield that they did their best to keep a Springfield flavour of the board to keep that on track, even if it meant subverting our democratic rights to hold an EGM.

All for naught in the end following the election of the Abbott government.

Malcolm walking with a pooper scooper behind Bob Sharpless.

As much as Malcolm Holmes can be just as much of an idiot, at least he's a diplomatic idiot.

Got it in one. Plus the AFL seems just as desperate to move us to Ipswich.

I suspect the AFL were pretty excited by the ALP government's agreement to put in 15 million bucks on Springfield that they did their best to keep a Springfield flavour of the board to keep that on track, even if it meant subverting our democratic rights to hold an EGM.

All for naught in the end following the election of the Abbott government.

Makes sense. I wonder how they feel about it now. Surely the only way we see any substantial movement with our whole Springfield proposal is if they pony up the cash which I imagine makes them sick.

Got it in one. Plus the AFL seems just as desperate to move us to Ipswich.

They do, but why? I wonder if they are looking at it as another step in QLD expansion or were they simply going along with it because our board was so eager for the move and their seemed to be little investment necessary on their behalf? How much debt do we owe to the AFL? Did our board outline a process that would see us profitable (i.e second social club, potentially increased market) with the AFL repaid and the Springfield relocation was identified as the key?

Yeah, at the very least Coorparoo Secondary College have some rights to it, if not complete ownership through DETE.

Yep owned by qld govt. Won't have anything built on it again. Found out recently it was a former dumping site. When they last went to build a building at the school site many years ago they found some foundations resting on half crushed car bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back