New facilities at Springfield - update: Federal funding under review

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see Bob's comments as a negotiating strategy regarding the Gabba. I just don't see the Gabba Trust or Stadiums Qld. reading the papers and thinking "Ooh we better look after these guys".
I do see it as a marketing exercise to make Springfield appear more attractive, whether for investment in the Lions development or just the area in general.
The bigger the plans, the bigger the outlay investors will be prepared to make.

It has been pointed out that any push for games to be played out there "is a generation away". Again this is a failure to understand that while boards and CEOs come and go, supporters and members are for life. Playing games at Springfield may not affect us for many years to come. In fact, older members may have stopped attending or even passed away by the time it happens. But what about others who will still be here in 20 years, 30 years, 40 years? And their children? Trying to distance things by saying it may be a generation away, doesn't soften things. It doesn't change the plan. It doesn't alter the principle or the slap in the face it presents.

Whatever the case is, the overwhelming majority of supporters and members won't share Bob's dream of a mega stadium in his backyard and if we don't share a vision or dream for the club, then he really has no business being chairman.:thumbsdown:

In reality the gaming venue/social club aspect of this proposal is probably THE driving factor.

Lets face it, an oval or two plus a gym and a few conference rooms can be built anywhere there's enough ground for it. If it were that simple any number of suburban venues would suffice or the redevelopment of the QE2.

What we are punting on here is the development of a designer community succeeding. And that that community wants and needs a facility such as a "leagues club" for the want of better description. Chances are the answer is yes, and if that's the case then its probably first in best dressed. If we don't someone else will - maybe not to that scale but it will happen. And if it stands to stablise the club and make it financially secure then maybe I can live with it as our training base - nothing more.

The problem like POBT said is now the perception. Whether there is anything more to the whole issue than simply a stink or not, the issue is now that its like that proverbial dirty sock. It already stinks, it will always stink. It'd be nice for us to simply have something good to celebrate and be excited about without the taint of doubt.

Last edited:
Does the club really need 2 training fields at the new base? Maybe if we compromise to only having 1 field we can stay in the Brisbane area.
Two training fields will be an advantage. Pretty sure you would find that they would not be the same size, other clubs have one the same size as the MCG and one the same as Etihad. We would probably have the GABBA and one other as the sizes, and maybe Etihad as we play more away games there usually.

Tossed up whether to put this here or in "General Talk", if mods want to move it, no probs.

Hope Kezz doesn't mind, but I recommend everyone read her latest blog titled "A Fractured Club" I also would love for those of importance at the club to somehow get to see it AND READ IT. .........Perhaps it could be brought to their attention (wink wink, nudge nudge anyone out there;))

Kezz, it is brilliant, and you tell the story and the emotion so well! You really should be writing books or some sort of story telling to the masses, you genuinely are very good at it. I envy you your gift, I would love to have been a writer myself, too late for me, but not for you luv.

Two training fields will be an advantage. Pretty sure you would find that they would not be the same size, other clubs have one the same size as the MCG and one the same as Etihad. We would probably have the GABBA and one other as the sizes, and maybe Etihad as we play more away games there usually.

We could have one the same size as Launceston. Seems we are booked in to play there until the end of time.

Seriously if this was a tactic to gain leverage over the Gabba trust it was a stupid one and it failed.

I can see it now "have you read the backlash bob, you stop playing at the Gabba and anything you save in rent, you will lose in memberships"

My post was more about the training facilities, not where we play.

IMHO, we should never play anywhere other than the GABBA.

Bitchslaps for Sharpless from both Craddock and Hamilton tonight.

Negative stories about the club days after our first win for the year. Really endearing yourself to the fans Bob.

But what does Henry Pinskier think??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we shouldn't move games away from the Gabba, but in saying that we need to stir up the administrators of the Gabba, it is a cricket ground that we are allowed to borrow for six months, we need the Gabba trust to realise that if they don't start to treat us as an equal to cricket then we should start to look at alternatives.

I look at the Adelaide oval, they have a ground which is going to work well for both sports, we need the Gabba to start and come to our party, and if these comments (Even if ridiculous) get the Gabba to talk to us a little more, then its a comment well made.

I think personally since the last stand was built and the Trust didn't include the facilities for drop in pitches, we have been treated as a second class citizen, considering the crowd numbers we generate compared to the Queensland Bulls and at Tests outside of ones involving ashes, we need to be heard by the Gabba.

Bewildering comments from Sharpless this morning about the Springfield Land Coorporation not having any commercial interest in the Brisbane Lions setting up their base there.

There's no commercial benefit whatsoever to the Springfield Land Corporation.

Self-evidently incorrect.

The kind of comments that just raise more questions, although at least he backtracked slightly from his remarks about playing AFL games there.

I get the impression he's not quite used to the obsessive level of scrutiny that comes with making comments on behalf of an AFL club.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-30/no-conflict-lions-chairman

Bewildering comments from Sharpless this morning about the Springfield Land Coorporation not having any commercial interest in the Brisbane Lions setting up their base there.

Self-evidently incorrect.

The kind of comments that just raise more questions, although at least he backtracked slightly from his remarks about playing AFL games there.

I get the impression he's not quite used to the obsessive level of scrutiny that comes with making comments on behalf of an AFL club.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-30/no-conflict-lions-chairman

If the deal had no commercial value to the SLC then the directors would have to be in trouble re: their directors duties. That's just a lie from Bob.

As an avid follower of the Springfield development (I'm definitely going to move all family and friends there over the next few years because I'm sick of living in a society), I was shocked to read this on the AFL's website this morning:

"There's no commercial benefit whatsoever to the Springfield Land Corporation.

"Quite the opposite, we've actually given up commercial benefits … for the benefit of the council and the Brisbane Lions Football Club."

I'm outraged that Springfield Board member Bob Sharpless is giving up commercial gains for our great Corporation for the good of the Brisbane Lions.

This is a clear breach of his duties and is quite obviously due to a conflict of interest of an immense scale.

Tossed up whether to put this here or in "General Talk", if mods want to move it, no probs.

Hope Kezz doesn't mind, but I recommend everyone read her latest blog titled "A Fractured Club" I also would love for those of importance at the club to somehow get to see it AND READ IT. .........Perhaps it could be brought to their attention (wink wink, nudge nudge anyone out there;))

Kezz, it is brilliant, and you tell the story and the emotion so well! You really should be writing books or some sort of story telling to the masses, you genuinely are very good at it. I envy you your gift, I would love to have been a writer myself, too late for me, but not for you luv.

Thanks MacMum.

Linkage for anyone interested.

How do you want to define "commercial benefit"?

If it means getting direct revenue (eg rent or income) from the venture, then he is probably right.

If we expand it to mean some sort of benefit, tangible or intangible, which makes the Springfield Land Corporation more valuable, then he is wrong.

He says stuff without really understanding how it will be portrayed. He's either incredibly naive or just can't control his gob.

How do you want to define "commercial benefit"?

If it means getting direct revenue (eg rent or income) from the venture, then he is probably right.

If we expand it to mean some sort of benefit, tangible or intangible, which makes the Springfield Land Corporation more valuable, then he is wrong.

He says stuff without really understanding how it will be portrayed. He's either incredibly naive or just can't control his gob.

I don't think anyone could reasonably define commercial benefit as only direct revenue, although possibly that's me being a bit naive.

But the use of the word 'whatsoever' makes that interpretation even less reasonable, for mine.

My midnight kebab shop that I set up in whoop-whoop has the potential to one day be valuable. I am doing all that I can to ensure that an all-night pub in Brisbane builds and moves to premises right next door.

My kebab shop doesn't receive a cent from the pub, so there's no conflict there whatsoever.

*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back