Are you happy with Andrew McQualter?

• Yes

Votes: 149 81.4%
  • No

Votes: 34 18.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting smattering of players at the conference, including rotham witho and jackson nelson

That was also a shot in the dark, although, it luckily really worked out that he fortunately had the skills to manage a club, but he also had the benefit the team wasn't bottoming out before his appointment, and most of the players had finals experience.

But Simpson vs McQualter in coaching, Simpson is objectively the better coach, so it's a downgrade. This is like an apprenticeship for McQualter, which doesn't benefit the team. It would have been better picking someone who had already managed an organization, similar to Fagan before he was senior coaching Brisbane.

A bit obvious saying Simo is the better coach. He was head coach for 10 years.

20 20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

And there were plenty of doubts when he was appointed.

Give the bloke a chance.

A bit obvious saying Simo is the better coach. He was head coach for 10 years.

20 20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

And there were plenty of doubts when he was appointed.

Give the bloke a chance.
Yeah, very strange, especially considering McQualter spent more than twice as long as an assistant and was involved in more flags.

Yeah, very strange, especially considering McQualter spent more than twice as long as an assistant and was involved in more flags.
Yeah rotham one was weird specially with all the Essendon talk, obviously hoping he can steal another year at the coasters.
If I was a career criminal and the new sheriff rode into town I’d be doing everything I could to show him it was worth giving me one last chance with a suspended sentence.

Absolute certainty they’ll reoffend

Didn't really know what to make of Andrew, the background at the tiggers during thre 3 flags is the biggest tick in my books. Watched the presser and although he he was clearly quite nervous came off as engaging and trying his best to not sound like a cliche.

First order of business is delist Rotham/Witherden

Edwards Burgiel and Culley get one more.

Dont bend over for a 27 year old B grader and a bloke looking to pad his super with a nice 4 year contract.

Didn't really know what to make of Andrew, the background at the tiggers during thre 3 flags is the biggest tick in my books. Watched the presser and although he he was clearly quite nervous came off as engaging and trying his best to not sound like a cliche.

First order of business is delist Rotham/Witherden

Edwards Burgiel and Culley get one more.

Dont bend over for a 27 year old B grader and a bloke looking to pad his super with a nice 4 year contract.
Seen 3 flags, seen Melbourne and Ross. Fair background. He also isn't our list manager.

It’s a bit of a generalisation, but VFL / AFL football, is littered with average to poor footballers that have gone on to be outstanding Coaches.

Pagan
Clarkson
Jeans
Sheedy
Lyon
Malthouse

Often those who had to work harder at their craft and think more about the game to compensate for their middling talent, have gone on to be some of the leagues best coaches.

Let’s hope we have found ourselves one here.

Not to dispute your overall point, but Sheedy played 251 games for Richmond. He won three premierships and a BnF and was named in their Team of the Century. Would likely have had a Norm Smith for 1974, if the award had existed back then.

I think most players would dream about being that 'average' :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must admit, wasn't overly excited when first announced, but he has nailed his first 24 hours in the job.

Came across as charismatic and engaging in the presser and I believe his age and enthusiasm will really grab our young group. Really optimistic currently.

Also, very interested to see how the evolution of his hair goes. Currently has a lovely hairline and not a grey in sight. Will revisit that at the end of his 3-year tenure.

I see his age as a positive, will grow and mature along with the playing list. It's exactly what we need right now.

Didn't understand the calls to go and get some 50 year old seasoned coach, we need someone innovative who can connect with the younger generation.

I see his age as a positive, will grow and mature along with the playing list. It's exactly what we need right now.

Didn't understand the calls to go and get some 50 year old seasoned coach, we need someone innovative who can connect with the younger generation.

Disagree, you get the best available coach. their age is of no relevance as long as they are up with the current game. Did you not just watch who coached the most recent premiership team?

Seen 3 flags, seen Melbourne and Ross. Fair background. He also isn't our list manager.

Need to also take into account that WC is unique in that our CEO has AFL head coach experience and an extensive assistant coach background.

With this in mind, prior head coaching experience was likely given lower weight than normal when identifying a coach (not that there were any obvious candidates with this anyway).

Pyke has a pretty good head on his shoulders (Crows debacle aside) and provided he avoids taking up a power stance anytime soon, think we are headed in the right direction and worst case, McQualter fulfills the 2 year sacrificial lamb role whilst we rebuild through the draft (not via Baker).

Three highlights from this for me :

1) At 0.30 Rhino asks him if the players should be ready to run under his game style and McQ answers like he’s talking to a five year old - “Yes, the game requires you to run really fast, really often”

2) Govs bump on Butters in slow mo at 1.00

3) Just after that when talking about the list he mentions players who we might not have seen the best from yet. A key to any improvement for us will be unlocking the potential of players who thus far have underperformed

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach NEW HEAD COACH - Welcome to West Coast: Andrew McQualter

Back