News New Jumpers for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gather Round would be ideal for all clubs to wear retro / special-alternative jumpers.

AFL would possibly implement more Gather Rounds as a result to allow clubs wearing those strips more than once.

I like the idea of gather round being kept for more interesting and new designs like the Freo one.

Throwbacks are cool and all, but what fun designs are we gonna throw back to in 20 years time if no one brings out anything new?

It's why Gather Round would be the best time to do it, as that round fixture comes out earlier than the rest of the season, hence more time for the designers to do their craft.

Seems I'm just adding on, but yeah, I'd rather see Gather Round used for more bespoke, unique one-off designs, such as Freo's stealth jumper. This, in turn, builds content for retro releases in 10-20 years time.

Again, in this day and age, there's so much work that goes into this stuff. We're a long way past just getting guernseys made and sending a rookie listed player to the MCG in the guernsey and some trackies, getting a photo to put in the paper and calling it a day. If you're celebrating your history, you want your home fans to be able to celebrate it with you.

Simple solution is for the AFL to drive the concept to all 18 teams and let them organise it themselves, which is ultimately more entertaining as these drop through the season, as opposed to being shoehorned into a single round.

Left is the actual jumper, right is my attempt at improving it. The execution isn't 100% but I'm not the professional here, but I've gone for a more accurate monogram (kind of lands halfway between the 90s one and the current one) and added a woolen texture. Ideally I'd want to give the monogram a stitched on look but I couldn't really do that and have it look good. Nonetheless, I think this is the route they should've gone down.
1721733412619.png

I love heritage/retro round as an idea but I think I’m reality it’s not that feasible. Adelaide would uo with some shitty homage to the state jumper, Gws and GC would have bugger all options (really Adelaide, Freo and Wce would too) and it’ll add to the cluster **** of clash jumpers we’ve already got.

It’s a lovely idea and I loved when it was done but I think it’s just not worth the execution.

I love heritage/retro round as an idea but I think I’m reality it’s not that feasible. Adelaide would uo with some shitty homage to the state jumper, Gws and GC would have bugger all options (really Adelaide, Freo and Wce would too) and it’ll add to the cluster **** of clash jumpers we’ve already got.

It’s a lovely idea and I loved when it was done but I think it’s just not worth the execution.

"cluster **** of clash jumpers we’ve already got"

Probably not really the biggest issue these days, surely. Like, I'm all for the home guernsey being sacrosanct, but one-off guernseys aren't doing any harm to anyone, and when executed well, build engagement and excitement.

Your point with GWS and Gold Coast is fair, and can be said about clubs like Carlton who haven't had significant changes over the years, which is why it should be club driven. Yes, these clubs do have options to draw on but in 5-10 years time, if you're forcing every club to do it, you end up back in the same spot as the original Heritage Round.

You could argue that it could be done as a dedicated two week section, but Sir Doug Nicholls Round occupies that space.
Move the SDN Round to conincide with Reconciliation and NAIDOC week (because it's literally makes more sense)

Freo used to wear East or South jumpers, although now they could hark back to more anchor designs.

Gold Coast could bring back the wave 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️😅

Move the SDN Round to conincide with Reconciliation and NAIDOC week (because it's literally makes more sense)

I more so meant that you probably only have room for one round to have this much of a meaningful impact across the competition all at once, that goes over the whole fortnight. Effectively it would become a gimmick, as would the dedicated Retro Round.

The issue with calling it “Heritage Round” I feel is it becomes about selling heritage, hence clubs like us haven’t got a lot to roll with.

However, call it retro round and we can dig up any remotely popular jumper from the past.

We can run with the early 2000s away jumper, Eagles could wear the ochre, Dockers have already brought back heaps of their old away designs pretty successfully.

The Suns could even run with the wave jumper.

Plus, if you call it retro and not heritage then we might see cool designs like the Pies swooping magpie jumper, or the Cats early 2000s away which I really liked, instead of just a slightly different version of the home jumper.

Last edited:
"cluster **** of clash jumpers we’ve already got"

Probably not really the biggest issue these days, surely. Like, I'm all for the home guernsey being sacrosanct, but one-off guernseys aren't doing any harm to anyone, and when executed well, build engagement and excitement.

Your point with GWS and Gold Coast is fair, and can be said about clubs like Carlton who haven't had significant changes over the years, which is why it should be club driven. Yes, these clubs do have options to draw on but in 5-10 years time, if you're forcing every club to do it, you end up back in the same spot as the original Heritage Round.
I don’t really have a concern about home guernseys being sacrosanct. If you’re the home team wear whatever you like but I could see them drawing Essendon and Carlton (as an example) for retro/heritage round and it being a complete shitshow.

Again, love the idea and love when clubs do it (dogs, west coat, Carlton and Geelong this year alone I think have all been top shelf) I just don’t think it needs to be a dedicated round.
The issue with calling it “Heritage Round” I feel is it becomes about selling heritage, hence clubs like us haven’t got a lot to roll with.

However, call it retro round and we can dig up any remotely popular jumper from the past.

We can run with the early 2000s away jumper, Eagles could wear the ochre, Dockers have already brought back heaps of their old away designs pretty successfully.

The Suns could even run with the wave jumper.

Plus, if you call it retro and not heritage then we might see cool designs like the Pies swooping magpie jumper, or the Cats early 2000s away which I really liked, instead of just a slightly different version of the home jumper.
Call it either, I still think a lot of teams get very limited very quickly.

I still think a lot of teams get very limited very quickly.
Teams can get creative. Expansion clubs like Giants and Suns could always create "fauxback" 80s jumpers based on what they might have worn if around back in the day. This wouldn't take away from the round, it would actually enhance it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teams can get creative. Expansion clubs like Giants and Suns could always create "fauxback" 80s jumpers based on what they might have worn if around back in the day. This wouldn't take away from the round, it would actually enhance it.

This isn’t a bad shout, similar to what Los Angeles and Miami have just done in the MLS.

I would think the inverse jumper they wear at training with Navy shorts like what they used in 2022

if only they used the thin hoops that they used on their clash jumper around 2015

I don’t know, I guess the original heritage rounds came at a time where Freo were less than a decade old and Adelaide and Weat Coast were less than 2 decades old.
GWS right now have been around longer than Freo had in 2003, so right off the bat there’s a longer time frame of jumpers to be worn. Adelaide were, at that time, yet to have worn most of the designs that could be heritage round contenders these days.
With the volume that jumpers are released these days too, GC and GWS have a shit ton of options from their old clash jumpers, away jumpers, pre-AFL jumpers and many other groupings. Even when Tasmania come in they’d be able to borrow the old VFL side’s designs (not that I think they would) as a more appropriate throwback than any old state jumper.
It could work, but the factors Freight Train mentioned are exactly the reason I don’t think a league wide round is the best option. If the AFL gives the directive for every club to release one, they can just leave it up to the clubs to decide when that gets worn.

Left is the actual jumper, right is my attempt at improving it. The execution isn't 100% but I'm not the professional here, but I've gone for a more accurate monogram (kind of lands halfway between the 90s one and the current one) and added a woolen texture. Ideally I'd want to give the monogram a stitched on look but I couldn't really do that and have it look good. Nonetheless, I think this is the route they should've gone down.
View attachment 2057004
can you change the hyundai logo to this?
already looks way better with the ‘95 monogram.
IMG_6423.jpeg

They can all bring back their alternate, training, prototype or unused uniforms. Adelaide Sharks uniform would be interesting to see worn.

This is what I’ve been thinking as well, Freo have at best 2, maybe 3 retro kits remaining, after that I’d love to see them do “retro inspired” jumpers using the old green and red.

As a Port supporter I don't think I'd have an issue with the Crows wearing non-Port SANFL teams past jumpers (with the SANFL team's consent/involvement/promotion of course). This principle could apply to other young teams as well:

Adelaide - non-Port SANFL teams
Fremantle - East & South Fremantle jumpers
West Coast - non-Fremantle WAFL teams
Gold Coast - Southport and other local teams
GWS - local teams in western Sydney and Canberra.

And of course Port Adelaide would wear its own jumpers back to 1870.

I'm not sure how all teams (including fans) would accept such an arrangement, but I think it could work quite well in principle.

As a Port supporter I don't think I'd have an issue with the Crows wearing non-Port SANFL teams past jumpers (with the SANFL team's consent/involvement/promotion of course). This principle could apply to other young teams as well:

I'm not sure how all teams (including fans) would accept such an arrangement, but I think it could work quite well in principle.

From what I understand of the Gold Coast situation, I don't think Southport would be too keen on that arrangement.

Other than that it makes sense.

I wouldn’t want us wearing a SANFL kit.

I’d much rather see us run out in our early 2000s away. That jumper is what I picture us in when I think about watching the Crows as a kid, or when I think of players like McLeod, Goodwin and Riccuto and has way more significance for a retro round.

Calling it retro also means clubs are more likely to roll out kits like that lightning bolt/electricity one you had vs just going with the prison bars.

I’d rather see Melbourne in something like that 90s pre season jumper instead of a slight variation on their existing home, which is what we’d probably see if it’s labelled as “heritage round”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back