New Kit Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like the white socks to have a couple of green and gold hoops. Like the kit though, also a fan of the badge embroidery.
Agree with the green and gold hoops for the socks but I take it you haven't bought a recent Nike football shirt

Agree with the green and gold hoops for the socks but I take it you haven't bought a recent Nike football shirt
Can't say I have. Last kit I bought was an Umbro.

Can't say I have. Last kit I bought was an Umbro.
As an Everton fan the next shirt I buy most likely will be Umbro ;)

The recent Nike fabric is extremely comfortable but it's ruined by the way the badge is embroided on (especially if it is really big - one of the reasons why I opted not to buy any Everton shirts this season).

With the 2014 replicas you'll have to most likely wear a singlet underneath or something will be tickling your left nipple (don't laugh - have this problem with my 2010 Socceroos away shirt). Also the badge design is different on the player issues than the replicas.

Last edited:
The white socks turn the kit from nice-but-plain to instant classic.

Gold socks would make the whole kit a lot less interesting.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Eh.

This kit (2006/07) is 10x better.

harrykewell_wideweb__470x315,0.jpg

We aren't Brazil for fuarks sake.

We wore white socks for a long time in the 70s and 80s. It has absolutely nothing to do with Brazil.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Ye we did, but stopped wearing them for good reason. It's hardly unique.

Gold shirt/Green shorts/Gold socks is the way the Socceroos kit should always be, & that's that.

Yes there is. It's Gold, Green then Gold.

Who cares about our Footballing tradition? It's barely existent, face it.

We've been wearing gold socks for quite a while now, and should keep it that way. It's simple yet classy.

Yes there is. It's Gold, Green then Gold.

Who cares about our Footballing tradition? It's barely existent, face it.

We've been wearing gold socks for quite a while now, and should keep it that way. It's simple yet classy.
You're arguing to keep the gold because we've had them for quite a while. Is that not a traditional thing to do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I'm pro-white socks. I think this shirt is the best one Nike's ever made for Australia. I thought the 2005 one was just convoluted – that template worked only when the colours weren't so jarring, like green against gold is; the 06 one fit weird and was boring; I didn't mind the rest... but this one is cool. The nod back to '74 is worthwhile too.

I mean, prior to 1989 the Socceroos wore a yellow shirt with green shorts and white socks.

Adidas changed it.

Since then, the Socceroos have worn yellow shirts with black socks, green shirts with a massive yellow strip, a green shirt with yellow sleeves and yellow shorts, an aqua green strip with yellow socks... the home has barely been consistent. The one 1974 epitomises is the closest we can come to history.

And the thing about Australian soccer is that its minority status was important. It is historic and it has worth. When the Europeans came after the second World War, that's when soccer got its identity – I don't think there's a country as mongrel as Australia in terms of soccer: the make-up for the national team has historically been all over the place, which is cool. Identifying how soccer enabled marginalised Italians and Greeks and Serbians and... whoever else to actually bind together and have something for themselves is good. And I say this as a total Anglo.

But the main thing is that of course it looks a bit like Brazil. Just like when South Africa get their Nike strips, they'll look like us. We love to go on about the colourway but it's not that unique. Yellow suits no one and the green is underused.

Remove this Banner Ad

New Kit Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back